Elsie Dudleys shop for Ladies Wear

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Elsie Dudleys shop for Ladies Wear
Topic Originator: Barbara
Post Date November 13, 2005 @ 12:42 PM
 Elsie Dudleys shop for Ladies Wear
 RE: Elsie Dudleys shop for Ladies Wear

Barbara
November 13, 2005 @ 12:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Elsie Dudleys shop for Ladies was at the corner of St Mary's Street and Castle Street.  Being a teenager, I never actually bought anything from Elsie Dudleys.  It was a shop where the older lady would find something she liked.Things were quite expensive, but were good quality. She sold nice scarves and handkerchiefs in a fancy box, which made a suitable gift for a female friend.
This was all prior to the nice boutiquey shops we have now.
Kate:  Thanks Barbara.  Did you go in Elsie Dudleys?  Tell us about your visit and what you bought.  Did you try any of Stamford's other shops which have since disappeared?

Diana
June 7, 2007 @ 1:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello, just found this website yesterday.  

My mam (Olive Clapton nee Olive Green) used to work for Mrs Dudley as a shop assistant/window dresser before she married.  Mrs Dudley looked after her very well.

Mam still lives in Stamford and I visit every Saturday as I now live in the Cambridge area.  Still love Stamford the most though.
Kate:  Thanks for that Diana.  Glad that  the entry re Elsie Dudleys brought back some memories.  Hope you will have some more to send to the site about Stamford.