Seccombes Ladies Gowns St Mary's Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Seccombes Ladies Gowns St Mary's Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Barbara
Post Date November 13, 2005 @ 12:46 PM
 dressmaker at Seccombes
 Seccombes/would love it now

Barbara
November 13, 2005 @ 12:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Seccombes was a beautiful shop.  Very large, and with beautiful displays.  The prices were a bit high and I could not afford to buy there.  I used to look in the window, but not go in to buy!  Seccombes was situated in what is now Sinclairs.
Kate:  Thanks Barbara, anyone else remember Seccombes?  Did you go in and buy?  Or try on some stunning outfit?  Let us know.

Clem Walden
April 3, 2009 @ 7:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My sister Iris worked at Seccombes Ladies Gowns as a dress maker not sure what year but think 1955/6, she also worked at Ann Hillaries that was on the corner of the High St & St Johns street, the owner was a Mr Nathan a very nice guy, there is still a ladies shop there today, I believe the prices for ladies dresses etc from both shops were a little heavy, but dress making & alterations were costly operations, not sure how much the various garments costs back in the 50s or what the staff got paid need to ask my sister feel sure she will remember & perhaps also be able to give me more info about the customers that used these two ladies shops.

Gillian Hendy
November 26, 2011 @ 1:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My Aunt used to buy clothes at Seccombes.   Sadly as a teenager I was never very interested but now I would so loved to have gone in the shop.   The last time I went to the tea room they still had the large dressers along the rear wall and my Mother would tell me that the hats were kept in there.  I am sure in its day it was a wonderful shop.

Linda
November 27, 2011 @ 11:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was indeed a wonderful shop, it was like stepping back in time! My mother managed Seccombes after Tim Clancy bought it......from -  Mr Chambers??

John Chambers
June 28, 2014 @ 10:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think my mother used to work there in the early '30s - Hazel Chambers. If it wasn't her, it was my grandmother Kate Dodman. My mother sadly died just over a week ago, and I'm writing a tribute for her funeral. Oats & Mussons is another store name that used to crop up, but has disappeared like the others. Unfortunately I don't think my family actually owned either!
Kate:  Hello John. I was so sorry to hear that your mother has died.  I didn't know her - but many on the forum will remember her and may reply to your posting.

Jill
June 29, 2014 @ 12:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mum went there in the fifties. The war was over and colours and materials must have seemed more exciting. Usually only at sale times,I used to wait patiently in front of the big mirrored wardrobes while everything was so individualised - no mass production then and mum tried things on and paraded up and down - she must have felt so special with such individual expertise. Suits  were called 'costumes' and usually included a complete outfit -dress and jacket (silk) matching hat, gloves and contrasting linings - so smart, I'm sure things were often 'put aside' or must have been a range of coupons or payment schemes 'til the next payday, during and after the war. Always a new outfit for a special occasion, speech day etc - often home made, but sale times were always genuine reductions.
I particularly remember climbing the creaky stairs and the thick pile carpet, which was still there when sinclairs china shop took over.
Muriel Hurn in Kettering was another special treasure trove for fashion and, of course, Furley & Hassen  of oakham. Everything was in guineas and or course alterations came as standard as they were 'tailor made'
Kate:  Thanks very much for this great memory - I was almost back there!