Hawleys Toy Shop, St Mary's Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Hawleys Toy Shop, St Mary's Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Brian
Post Date November 13, 2005 @ 12:51 PM
 RE: Hawleys Toy Shop, St Mary's Street Stamford
 Hawleys/porkpie & cheese
 Hawleys Toy Shop-Magic!

Brian
November 13, 2005 @ 12:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Everyone was sad the day that Hawleys closed.  We all had our memories of going in there, trawling round to find the exact toy we wanted to buy on that day.  They had a first room, which had the counter in it, where they had a display of bikes alongside an assortment of toys.  The bikes were on the lefthand side of the shop where they could be seen if you stood  on the pavement outside and faced the window. I guess many "small people" gazed in there hoping to receive one of those amazing looking bikes as a present.  Some were lucky, I was not at the time, but later saved up and bought one myself.  After this first room, there was a long, narrow second room, and you could go down one side and back up the other side, viewing all the display of toys as you went round.  Many people spent many a happy hour in Hawleys.
Kate:  Thanks Brian.  Yes I was one of them!  Also many people who knew of Hawleys when they were children, then enjoyed taking their own children along to choose say, a zoo animal, or airfix models to paint, also many of the fathers got the job of fixing them together!

IAN HAGGERTY
January 29, 2006 @ 3:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT IF I WANTED A NEW TYRE OR INNER TUBE FOR MY BIKE I WOULD HAVE TO GO DOWN THE PASSAGE AND ENTER A DOOR ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE WHERE I WOULD BE GREETED BY THE SMELL OF RUBBER, HERE I COULD GET THAT SPARE PART FOR MY BIKE.
Editor:  Anyone else remember going to that workshop?   Before that Hawleys had a separate  cycle shop opposite where I think there is now a boutique.  Mr Hawley was in that shop serving and selling cycles and bits and pieces for cycles.  In fact, I bought my own "racing bike" from him - lovely red one with a racing saddle and pannier on the back.  I spent ages cleaning that cycle and it was always gleaming and sparkly!  This was before we had mountain bikes.

James Kudlinski
February 9, 2006 @ 9:02 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the cycle repair shop down the side passage. It was connected to the toy shop by a wooden staircase that came out oposite the till.In the late 60`s /early 70`s I remember the man that did all the cycle repairs  and servicing as being a little man who was quite deaf but always willing to help a small boy with bits for his cycle. Hawleys shop was previously occupied by an electrical retailers called "John James". Prior to moving in Hawleys occupied the premises opposite which is now an estate agents. I remember every Christmas they had a large model railway set out in the large recessed window. The trains would go round on a double track with a large display of other toys in the centre.
Kate: Thanks for that James. Anyone else remember Hawleys original shop and the model railway display?  Or any other toy shops in the town?

ROGERS
November 4, 2006 @ 9:24 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

HELLO,
I AM NEW TO THIS SITE I HAVE BEEN LOOKING THROUGH ALL THE STORiES AND FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING. i REMEMBER hawleys toy shop, i used to get my pocket money on the friday and go to the toy shop with my step mum and buy marbles or trump cards to take to st georges school  on the monday to do swaps. I also used  to just spend hours looking through the toys .  I think it was the best toy shop around.
Kate: More memories of Hawleys always welcome.

Chris
November 17, 2006 @ 3:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember if Hawleys was at the end of High Street for a short time, (Where Harways is today) I bought my first new bicycle from that shop, a gold `Triumph' Queen of clubs, cost (I think) about £17.00. Would be about 1952.
Kate: Hello Chris.  Good to hear from you.  I have had a word with a friend and they say there was a shop selling cycles at the end of High Street (where Harways is today) but they think it was Currys.  I think they may be right.  Anyone else remember or have knowledge of this?

Chris - any more memories to share with us?  Thanks for your contribution to the debate.

James Kudlinski
December 7, 2006 @ 2:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes it was Currys that sold cycles at that end of the High street but I thought their shop was next door to where Harways is now located.

James

Ed:  Thanks James.  Yes, perhaps they had what is now the furniture shop?  Anyone else know for certain?  I can remember a biscuit shop a bit further up - was it Huntley and Palmers?  They had a row of glass cases at the counter and there were biscuits arranged in a pattern, different types of biscuits  in glass sections about 10" x 8"  .Fascinating when I was still at eye level with  them.

Peter
June 21, 2008 @ 11:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

After Mr Hawley retired the shop was bought by Mrs Cross who used to live in Exeter Gardens. Her son, John Cross, used to play golf at Burghley Park before moving on to become a Pro.  I think John's sister, Linda still lives nearby.

Wasn't there another toy shop along that street called Godslands, run by Howard Mulligan, who used to manage the Riverside Club in Wharf Road? On the other side was Parish's and they had another shop in the High Street which stocked school uniforms. Two floors, shoes downstairs ans clothes upstairs. Later it was sold and renamed Petchells. At a guess, roughly where W.H. Smiths is now.
Kate: Thanks Peter. Think Parrish were both in High Street?   Main shop where Walkers is now (double fronted).  Electrical etc on opposite (Lloyds Bank side) side.

Roger
July 3, 2008 @ 10:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remember Hawleys "original" shop well - must have spent a fortune in spare parts for my Meccano set back in the 60s - Mrs Cross was very patient! When they bought the former John James premises (originally Cross Keys Inn) I believe they used the original shop to sell greetings cards.

Parrish and Sons had 3/4 shops in Stamford: Gothic House 10 High St - Ladieswear (now Walkers), 62/63 High St - Menswear, 64 High St -Soft Furnishings and I believe electrical goods also, 49 Broad St - furniture (became Perrys for a time). They also had shops in Bourne and Peterborough.

Lynda
July 1, 2013 @ 8:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think that little man was Mr Lilley from Ryhall

Helen Sismore
November 1, 2014 @ 8:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Gosh this brings back memories for me.  Hawleys was my first Sat job.  I worked there as a Sat girl from 1979 until I finished college 1983.  My sat morning duties included fetching the weekly pork pie and Cathedral city cheese.  This shop belonged to David Cross's Wife who would always come and visit us all on a Sat.  

The staff there were all great and it was a lovely place to start your employment.

John Tyers
November 1, 2014 @ 11:01 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Christmas 1938 my dad bought my Hornby train outfit from Mr Hawley. At that season, he always had one of the more expensive electric trains running around a track as a window display. Sheer magic!

Maz Roberts
October 6, 2016 @ 11:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The little man that did the cycle repairs was my dad! He was very deaf and had been since he was about three.
He was very proud of his little workshop.

Maz Roberts
October 6, 2016 @ 11:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You're absolutely right. He was indeed Mr Bert Lilley from Ryhall.