Pinneys Jewellers Red Lion Square Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Pinneys Jewellers Red Lion Square Stamford
Topic Originator: Mel
Post Date November 13, 2005 @ 1:04 PM
 RE: Pinneys Jewellers Red Lion Square Stamford
 RE: Pinneys Jewellers Red Lion Square Stamford

Mel
November 13, 2005 @ 1:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Pinneys Jewellers in the Square.  They were the quality jewellers in Stamford.  They usually had a display of silver in the window.  There was a door at the side which lead upstairs to a cafe (can't remember what it was called).  We teenagers used to call in there in the evening and sit for ages over a cup of coffee.  We used to be served by a waitress all dressed very smartly in a waitress black and white outfit.  I think the lady was Lotte Mason.

john freear
November 24, 2005 @ 7:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If you were arranging to meet someone, an easy way to avoid misunderstandings was to agree to meet under "Pinney's Clock" This hung immediately below the shop front facia over the entranceway. Today it would not survive for 5 minutes.
Ed: Thanks John, yes I seem to remember that Clock though I never met anyone underneath it.  Having a discussion with a friend about the clock, they said it was square and set onto a board, though I thought it was sort of octagonal and hanging on two chains.  Perhaps you have a clearer memory of it. Anyone else arrange to "meet up under Pinney's Clock"?

Kate
December 14, 2005 @ 4:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There is still a door leading to an upstairs coffee house called "Temptations" at the side of Pinneys in Red Lion Square.

christine pattinson
November 17, 2010 @ 3:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The cafe above Pinneys shop was call THE WHITE HEATHER. Lottie Mason was the waitress for many years.She was a great lady. In the 50's we would spend hours with our frothy coffee waiting for local boys and RAF lads to arrive.Lottie was a great match maker.Several of us married boys that we met in the cafe.I remember she had a son called Vincent.

betty
November 17, 2010 @ 3:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was Lotte Mason who worked in the cafe above Pinneys.  She had a son Vincent a big friend of Clem's who was also a young Teddy Boy.  His mum kept us girls filled in with who was going out with who.  The cafe was part of the White Heather.  
I have got a piece of jewellry still in its original box marked "Pinneys" this belonged to my late mother

Pete
November 23, 2010 @ 9:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I bought my fiancée an engagement ring in Pinneys. Sadly we parted but she gave it me back and I still have it in it's original box.