Eayrs grocery shop High Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Eayrs grocery shop High Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Sandy
Post Date November 21, 2005 @ 7:31 AM
 Eayrs grocery shop High Street Stamford
 RE: Eayrs grocery shop High Street Stamford

Sandy
November 21, 2005 @ 7:31 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Eayrs  were the last of the large general grocers in Stamford.  At one time they used to call and collect your order for the week and then deliver it some days later, even out to Empingham.  They were very kind and generous people allowing struggling young couples a lot of credit to tide them over the rough patches until they organised their budget.  This was necessary as after the war, we were not very organised and the banks were far from helpful and we all had colossal mortgages.
Ed: Thanks for your thoughts on Eayrs Sandy.  Anyone remember the shop layout etc?  It was a very imposing shop. (A bit like a small Stamford version of Harrods).

john freear
November 22, 2005 @ 8:41 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the beautiful smell of fresh coffee being ground in their shop as you passed by in High St.
Ed: Yes John, I remember that too. Anyone else remember pausing as they walked past to take in the coffee aroma?  I also remember a "bacon Slicer" standing on the counter and you could choose the thickness of the rashers you wanted.  First of all, you had to decide which piece of bacon you required.  It was all very labour intensive.

david king
September 25, 2006 @ 11:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Sandy/Ed

My mother is the daughter of John & Molly Eayrs who owned the shop. I used to stay there as a boy when my father was between postings. If you have questions for her please let me know.

Rgds David King

Editor
October 22, 2006 @ 1:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello David

I told Sandy you had replied to his note re Eayrs shop and your mother's involvement.  Unfortunately he is unwell at the moment and now living in Scotland.  He is not getting round to his emails quite so frequently but I know he really loved Eayrs shop and was always to be seen in there on Saturdays.  I would be very glad to record any memories that your mother has of the shop or other Stamford memories.
Ed.