Patches buses Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Patches buses Stamford
Topic Originator: June
Post Date November 23, 2005 @ 11:43 AM
 Patches buses Stamford
 RE: Patches buses Stamford

June
November 23, 2005 @ 11:43 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Transport was a bit difficult in Stamford in the 1940s and 50s.  Patches ran a bus service from Stamford to Peterborough which used to operate from Station Road opposite The George Hotel.  We used to queue up at the side of the road  and the bus would arrive.  Often it filled up and we got a bit anxious we wouldn't get on.  If there were too many Patches would get another bus to turn out from the depot so that the remaining passengers were not disappointed.  The last bus back from Peterborough used to be at about 8 p.m., so if you went to see a film you had to go in early and possibly see the end first, then watch the beginning and then catch the bus home.  I think it was called "Patches Cream Bus Service".

Clem
March 24, 2006 @ 8:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The "cream bus service" Harry Patch, I remember well, the old wooden slated seats, Stamford to Peterborough, first stop Wansford on the bridge, I would travel to Wansford with my fishing tackle to fish the Nene at Wansford. I remember my dad telling me that when Harry Patch got his first bus, he built a wooden garage around it in Halidays yard, only problem was when they tried to get it out of the garage, the back end of the bus was higher than the front and would not go through the door opening, changes had to be made? however Harry was a great guy, I use to go with him & sixer Trowel to watch Wolves play football many years ago, when Billy Wright was playing, great memories.
Ed: Thanks Clem.  Anyone else have those memories of trips on Patches buses? -

Kevin
January 6, 2008 @ 9:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Cream Bus Service to Peterborough dropped passengers anywhere between Stamford and Peterborough (Wansford wasn't the first stop) but couldn't pick up after Wansford. On the Peterborough-Stamford leg they couldn't drop passengers before Wansford, but could pick up anywhere. This was due to a traffic commissioners ruling when operating through Eastern Counties territory. Harry Patch was an Arsenal supporter  ... bet he only saw Wolves at Highbury!! My father drove for Harry Patch when I was a little boy; vivid memories of sitting in the cab next to dad going to see grandparents in Castor or onwards to see non-league Posh.
Kate:  I remember travelling on The "Cream Bus Service" when it also had a conductress with a ticket machine. We had some  luxuries  in those days

Clem Walden
July 2, 2008 @ 11:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kevin, thanks for the info, Harry may have been an arsernal supporter, but he visited Wolves ground on several occasions in the early 50s with sixer Trowel & a bus load of Stamford people to watch the great Billy Wright, we used to stop off at a pub in Wolverhampton & get new bread & cheese sandwiches, & a couple of pints or so, each trip they would run a raffle & the winner would get a free trip or whatever prize was going. great days, good trips.

David Leishman
July 13, 2008 @ 9:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember during the late 50's and early 60's Patches had a school bus contract. This was mainly to transport grammar school students from Wittering to Peterborough. There were two buses one picked up girls for the County Grammar School, the other one was for boys and the destination The Kings School.I think these buses were used earlier in the day to transport workers from Stamford to the Allis Chalmers plant in Essendine.
  The route to Peterborough included the pick up at Wittering outside "Blowers" grocery shop (The students were mostly the children of RAF types) and then proceeded down the A1 a short distance, a left turn in towards the villages, Barnack etc to pick up the odd student proceeding to enter Peterborough at the Walton end.
  The driver on these runs did not put up with a lot of tomfoolery and would bring the bus to a halt and eject the guilty party(ies) to find their own way.
  An interesting link is as follows:
http://www.leytransport.i12.com/bartstam.htm
Discusses the history of Barton buses in Stamford with a lot of reference to the Patches takeover.
Kate: Thanks David.  I will have a look at that link.