Ninny Yates

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Ninny Yates
Topic Originator: MAURICE RIPPIN
Post Date March 7, 2007 @ 2:32 PM
 Ninny Yates
 RE: Ninny Yates
 Ninny/finding romance

MAURICE RIPPIN
March 7, 2007 @ 2:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember Ninny as a local village league referee?. Does any one also remember where he lived?. I have been researching Ancestors in Stamford and note that a family of Yates lived in the St George area of the town including St Leonards Street.
Kate:  Hello Maurice.  Tony Lilley posted a bit about Ninny under
local characters.  I have decided that as you are researching  Ninny  as one of your ancestors, that I will give you a listing separate from "local Characters" and under  his own name.  hope you get lots of replies.
Tony's comments under "local characters" refer to his role in football. It is as follows:
Tony:
I remember Ninny Yates as a really nice guy who helped run a football team I was in (Stamford Minors?) which played on the meadows in the mid to late sixties. My dad had a lot of respect for him.

Clem Walden
July 2, 2008 @ 9:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

His name was William Yates (bill) his nickname was Ninny, he worked at the old Brickyard Williams Cliff, in 1947/8 then worked for the local Council, he was great guy, & I believe he started the Belverderes Football club, he could be seen cleaning up the Town daily, when he got married at the methodist church in barn hill there were hundreds turned out to watch.

judy
April 21, 2012 @ 1:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

ninny yates lived in bentley st opposite hardys fish&chip shop before he was married he used to chase all the girls