Parrish & Sons Gothic House High Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Parrish & Sons Gothic House High Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Mel
Post Date November 25, 2005 @ 8:51 AM
 Parrish & Sons Gothic House High Street Stamford
 RE: Parrish & Sons Gothic House High Street Stamford
 RE: Parrish & Sons Gothic House High Street Stamford

Mel
November 25, 2005 @ 8:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Parrish & Sons used to trade in Gothic House (now Walkers bookshop).  It was a lovely shop and when you walked in the downstairs one area was materials off the roll and another was   ladies haberdashery - stockings, later tights, handkerchiefs etc.  You would be shown different pairs of stockings, colour, size, gauge etc. and they would be say 10/6d a pair and would be in a posh box.  In the back area of the shop, which is now the card area, there were shoes for sale.  Mrs Brown, who with her husband later ran the Scotgate Inn, was an assistant there.
Upstairs were ladies hats,  underwear and the children's department.  Everywhere was covered in thick carpet.  There was a lift and often Miss Parrish could be seen descending in the lift from the top floor.  On the opposite side of the road a little further down, Parrishes had a men's outfitters(later this was changed to an electrical and carpet department).  When I bought my first washing machine from them, they brought both models (twin tub and automatic) to my flat for me to try before I bought.  You could buy your item "on terms" and pay so much a month for a year until you had paid off the amount.  No credit cards then.

Louise Williams
December 14, 2005 @ 6:28 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My mother remembers her mother buying a coat from Parrish & Sons. She was told that we were related to the Parrish family in some way but we have not found out how yet. I spent many happy holidays in Stamford when I was a child.  My uncle lived in Cecil Terrace overlooking the Rec.  He later moved to Kings Road (much to my disappointment, as the house overlooked flats).
Ed: Thanks for that Louise.  Please send more  memories of those holidays in Stamford as these occur to you. Regarding your possible connection  to the Parrish family, you can add your name to The Gateway on the site and may get a contact to help you with your research.  All researchers are welcome to add their research names to the site (for the whole of England).

Peter Leatherbarrow
June 22, 2008 @ 12:06 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If it's any help to Louise Williams, I used to attend a Stamford nursery school with   Stephen Parish who was the son of the owners of Parish's. They lived in  Tinwell Road in the 1950's and then moved to Uffington in the 1960's. Stephen's father was a Radio Ham and you could recognise his house by the massive Yagi aerial in his garden at Uffington.