Stamford Town Rugby

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Town Rugby
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date November 26, 2005 @ 2:48 PM
 Stamford Town Rugby
 RE: Stamford Town Rugby
 Stamford Rugby/ Tony Haynes
  Stamford Town Rugby
 Town Rugby/-3 front teeth
 Town Rugby/players
 Rugby gag anyone there?

Kate
November 26, 2005 @ 2:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Were you in the Rugby team?  Did you wish you were?  Were you a spectator of this exciting sport?  Let us know.

john freear
December 12, 2005 @ 8:31 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford Town Rugby Club was ressurrected after the second world war somewhere about 1946/1947. We were a very motley bunch; some had played "school" rugby (quite different to club rugby which was very much harder physically), some were footballers,some had played no games at all. We thoroughly enjoyed it, arrangements were very much "ad hoc" Patches Cream Bus service being used for instance if the game was being played in Peterborough. I do not remember us having a "Home Ground" in those days. I played Hooker, which I always felt was the hardest position, you were always last out of a scrum and were immediately expected to be first in the next scrum 50 yards away a few seconds later!!! We used the Youth Club, now I think perhaps the Language School, (much earlier the gentlemans club) near The Green Hill as  home base, where we could clean up, have a shower etc. No food, unless you bought your own at the canteen.
Ed: Sounds like a good time John - I wonder if you can remember the others who played - or perhaps some of you are out there reading this?  If so, contact us and add your comments.  Who was the organiser for fixtures etc.?  Who organised the kit?  Perhaps you didn't have a proper kit?

David
February 9, 2007 @ 1:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I played for Stamford town about the 1961/1963 period.
An old school pal Al Outwin from Barrowden roped me in to join up.It was loads of fun with good cameraderie between the players.The team was made up of all kinds of individuals from fit late teenagers to the somewhat older and not so fit.
We played on a sports field that was either off Casterton rd or Empingham rd.At the beginning there was no clubhouse but latterly one was built complete with showers.
A local pub was our HQ.It was located if I remember rightly near Radcliffe and North.The pub's important role was to cook up the bangers and mash to feed us and the visiting team and let's not forget the all important beer supply.I believe the actual games we played were of secondary importance to the pub time whether at home or away.The pub sessions were usually a very noisy affair with some incredible drinking bouts and bawdy song recitals from some of the team members often leading to ejection from the premises.
A game was usually played on Boxing day.Oh how hard the ground was at that time.
Some of the away games that I recall were against:  Boots Chemist Nottingham,Perkins Diesel Peterborough and Deacons school Peterborough.We did not win very often.
There was a change of pub HQ up to a place in St Martins,it was not far from the George on the opposite side of the street and up the hill a bit.Cannot remember the name.What I do remember is that one of the saloons was decorated with hats I think a number of them were old school straw boaters.This pub was quite a sedate place.Any clues as to the name anybody?
A game was usually played on Boxing day.Oh how hard the ground was at that time.

Each year the club would arrange a trip to Twickenham to take in the big event.
Does the club still exist?
Kate:  Thanks very much for that David.  Will jog lots of memories I am sure.  Would the pub have been the Bull & Swan?  Perhaps if not, someone else can tell us.  Any other former club members out there? DOES THE CLUB STILL EXIST? Answers please on a postcard (oh, sorry, on an email).

David
February 22, 2007 @ 9:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes it probably was the Bull & Swan.The location again was,up the hill opposite side to the George and near Barnack rd.
Kate:  Thanks David - keep those memories coming - adding so others can enjoy reading.

Mike Laughton
May 30, 2011 @ 4:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember one time during the 1960s when members of the rugby club managed to upset the entire town with a joke they played on one of their team-mates.
Tony Haynes, who is no longer with us, used to drive a little two-seater sports car. One night he parked it in Broad Street and went for a pint.
So, for a prank a dozen of his team-mates lifted up his car and carried it physically over a 2ft high wall and placed it on the grass the other side of the wall so it could not be driven away.
Unfortunately, the spot they chose was the town war memorial.
Townsfolk were furious and the episode finished with a trip us the town hall steps for the culprits to face the local magistrates where they were quite heavily fined.
In court it was stated they deeply regretted their actions and had not intended to offend and that it was purely intended to be a joke on their friend.
Incidentally, the War Memorial was much nicer with that low wall and a manicured lawn. So much nicer than the ugly thing we have today.

John Tyers
May 31, 2011 @ 1:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm sure the town Rugby Club were a lot of good lads but back in the fifties, in truth I found them a bit too middle class and "cliquey" for my liking, many originating from the School or local businessmen.  I once mentioned the club to a friend of mine who lived near Leicester and I recall he remarked that his club played against Stamford but the once and never again - he said they were the worse for drink when they went onto the field, put up an indifferent performance and resumed indulging straight after the match!

Patrick
May 31, 2011 @ 8:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I played for the team in 1947/48 as hooker. It probably was a bit `cliquey` as the team were nearly all ex-Stamford School. I remember Frank Gilman as being the force behind the revival of the Club. No Clubhouse in those days. We just turned up (I remember the ground was in Empingham Road) played and went home. My playing days ended in 1948 when a boot removed three of my front teeth and my better half-to-be gave me an ultimatum. We were nearly all ex-Forces
with a few farmers and the play was a bit rough at times.

Patrick
May 31, 2011 @ 9:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I recall a few players in 1947/48 There was David Naylor, who lived in Broad Street. He went on to play for the Three Counties team. George Skinner from Ketton was a regular and good. Usually, Peter and Norman Flint from Belmesthorpe would be in the team. No more at present .... memory not what it was!

Mike Laughton
September 6, 2011 @ 3:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Members of Stamford Rugby Club were involved in another brilliant stunt in 1982/83 during the early days of Stamford Festival.
At that time many of the players used to drink at the Green Man pub and it was announced that The Green Man in association with the town Rugby Club was going to re-introduce the ancient custom of bull-running in Broad Street on Stamford Festival Saturday.
Of course this prompted a big number of protests about animal cruelty with letters to the Stamford Mercury - most of them being of the "Irate from Tunbridge Wells" variety.
The organizers insisted the bull-running event would go ahead despite the protests.
Festival Saturday came and the cattle wagon drew up in Broad Street. The rear doors were opened and the ramp was lowered ......then out ran two of the players dressed as a pantomime cow.
Unfortunately, due to the pressure of the anti-bull-running publicity the cat was let out of bag before the event (or should I say the bull was let out of the wagon) and this spoiled the impact of the gag and spoiled the fun for those in the know.
It was still a great idea though, and a good stunt.