Stamford Tec Broad Street Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Tec Broad Street Stamford
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date December 4, 2005 @ 1:01 PM
 Stamford Tec Broad Street Stamford
 RE: Stamford Tec Broad Street Stamford
 RE: Stamford Tec Broad Street Stamford

Kate
December 4, 2005 @ 1:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford Tec used to cater for the learning and examination needs of loads of students who had left school but still wanted to study in their spare time.  Mr Mitchell used to be the 'gaffer' and Mr Sylvester used to come round with the registers.  Mr Mitchell was a cheery faced man, he had a sparkley face with twinkley eyes, white crinkley hair and rosey cheeks.  He was in charge for a number of years. The late   Mrs Fahie (Mrytle) used to teach shorthand (also Charlie Fahie her husband used to teach shorthand when needed) and Mrs Lord used to teach typing.  This was mainly for female students although there were one or two males (newspaper reporters etc). When the fair was on it was almost impossible to carry on the classes though we were expected to concentrate and get on with our studies.  Most of the young men were attending engineering courses.
Did you attend Stamford Tec in Broad Street?

Clem
March 20, 2006 @ 4:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mr Carrick(electrical engineering) was also a teacher at the old Tec, I atended there in the early 50s the engineering workshop was at the rear, had many good  times there, & managed to get my City Guilds later while atttending Leicester Poly. But Mr Carrick was the guy who really got me started, & I remember well the girls that would be in the typing classes etc, but they had little interest in me then, I was a bit of a  rebel a Teddy Boy, along with many of my old mates.
Ed:  What was it like to be a Teddy Boy in Stamford?  How did you get accepted by "the gang"?  When did you realise you had to ditch that outfit - or have you still got it!!!!

Clem
March 21, 2006 @ 4:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No problem getting accepted, I went to school with most of the boys it was great, I believe we were the "first teenagers" and the last of the workers? before rock& roll came in you were either considered a child or an adult "teenagers as such" did not exist, Stamford teddy boys came from all types of backgrounds, and in truth were harmless, unfortunately they were seen as "rebels" we were babies compared to some of the youth today, everyone had to work if you did not you would not have had many mates, "the boy's did not like lazy s...." I have not got any of the old gear "shame" but I still see all the old teds around the town & we still drink together sometime Teddy boys were between the period 1954-1959 then the fashion chaged to Italian suits & winckle pickers (shoes) some boys still wore their teddy boy gear well into the 60s but not I.
Ed: Thanks for that teddy boy history Clem.