Aughtons Butchers

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Aughtons Butchers
Topic Originator: Barbara
Post Date December 10, 2005 @ 4:48 PM
 Aughtons Butchers
 RE: Aughtons Butchers St George's street Stamford
 RE: Aughtons Butchers St George's street Stamford
 Aughtons/Dickinsons/Kite's porkpies
 Aughtons Butchers/Dickinsons
 Aughtons/Harrisons porkpies gravy
 Butchers roundup
 Aughtons butchers/Fancourts
 Aughtons Butchers/now accommodation
 Aughtons Butchers/Mrs Fancourt
  Aughtons Butchers
 Aughtons Butchers

Barbara
December 10, 2005 @ 4:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Aughtons used to be a butcher's shop in St George's street.  Wilf Aughton used to be on the Council and was Alderman Aughton.  I think there was also another butcher's shop in St George's street but I am not sure what it was called.

john freear
December 11, 2005 @ 8:07 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The butchers shop in St Georges St was Dickinsons (?spelling), a pork butcher as opposed to a general butcher. He kept his own pigs somewhere in the area of Harrison Fords garage. There were several "pork butchers" in Stamford then, Nelsons being one, Wrights of All Saint's St (or Place), anyway next to the Post Office being another.
Ed: Yes, thanks for that John.  I think this shop  has now been converted into accommodation.  I seem to remember that if you wanted to buy something from Dickinsons you were usually in quite a long queue - it being a pork butchers which people rated.  I think my mother used to get my sister to buy part of her shopping from there and it meant an early start on Saturday to get down there and get "the best".  Anyone else remember Dickinsons?

Peter
October 15, 2009 @ 1:43 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If I remember correctly Dickinsons was in St Georges St and then moved in the early 60's to Aughtons shop in St Pauls St. Mr Aughton was quite a small man and I can remember seeing him driving his Rover car peering between the dashboard and steering wheel even though he was sitting on a cushion for extra height.
Hi Peter.  I can remember Mr Aughton - was it Alf?  I think he was on the Council.  May have been the mayor one year? Kate

Nigel Cross
October 15, 2009 @ 4:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Dickinsons Butchers. I was their delivery boy on a Saturday. I can remember taking packs of meat up to the Drift off the  Kettering road, an awful long way up there, to deliver half a pound of sausages, but then in those days i was fit as a butchers boy. I had a bike which remarkably resembled 'Granville's from 'Open all Hours'.  I dont remember Mr Dickinson but a chap who we called 'Kite' for some reason, who made fantastic pork pies.

phil
October 17, 2009 @ 10:20 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Mr Dickenson,George in the Co Op butchers up the road would send me down to borrow things,I used to wonder on the short walk down what sort of mood he was in for a yes or NO!!.His son I believe was Robin and ran the shop in St Pauls St,which was, im sure an ordinary butchers.But they still made nice pork pies.As did Fancourts in St Marys St.

john freear
October 17, 2009 @ 1:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder if there is anyone who remembers Harrisons pork buthchers in St. Mary's st,Halfway between St Mary's church and St John's st on the meadows side of the road.
Their pork pies were, to put it mildly, fabulous. The secret, so I was told by their daughter (Clare) lay in the gravy. people came from a long way away for them, one band in particular (can't remember its name) used to make regular diversions for them during the 1950s when they were in this neck of the woods. The daughter became Mrs Hemmings, wife of my employer, she also taught me art at Stamford school during the 1940s. The secret of the gravy was never given up and is I believe lodged with Mrs Hemmings' daughter Penny who lived in the South of the country the last time I had any news of her which was a long time ago

Roger Partridge
October 17, 2009 @ 10:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford was blessed with butcher's and pork butcher's shops in the 50s/60s - Johnsons (2 shops), Dickinsons (2 shops), Adams (2 shops), Nelsons (2 shops), Hazels, Wrights, Vellams, Fancourts, Grants, Morleys, Nalsons, Aughtons, Dewhursts, Baxters, Co-op.

Peter
October 21, 2009 @ 6:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate. I believe Mr Aughton was on the Council as he was usually known as Alderman Aughton and may very well have been Mayor. That was, of course, in the days when Stamford had a "proper" Council! Kate:   We had our priorities right then - loads of butchers to choose from - favourite porkpie supplier etc.  Fancourts in St Mary's Street were also good pork butchers - haselet, pork joints etc.  Mr Fancourt had a wry neck - but despite this annoyance to him he was always charming to customers in the shop and wore a brilliant white coat while serving.  Mrs Fancourt always seemed to be in there serving as well.

Paul.
May 19, 2010 @ 4:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I live in the butchers shop on St Georges Street.
Kate:  Hi Paul.  That must be so handy for nipping out to the shops.

betty
May 19, 2010 @ 8:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Peter  I see you mentioned Mrs Fancourt, I wondered if you knew that she is still alive.  She lives at The White Friars Nursing Home where my mother and Uncle also lived and live.  I will not call them patients because they are not so much ill but very old but still mobile and  compos mentis.

Jerry Brown
February 10, 2012 @ 12:10 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My mom is the aunt of the Wilf Aughton who used to own the butcher shop.  Her name is Joan.  She married my father, an American soldier, and has lived in the US since 1946.  She is now 87 and still recalls her childhood days in Stamford.
Kate: Hi Jerry.  I remember Wilf Aughton - he was a Councillor, then Alderman and finally I think Mayor of Stamford.  I imagine quite a few people on this forum will remember him and his family.  Anyone remember details of the butcher's shop?

J smith
June 7, 2014 @ 7:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Wilf Aughton lived opposite us in Exeter Gardens he was always very friendly and would do anything for you.I remember him helping my father build his garage about 1953.After he died his wife moved into Phillips Court.She died a number of years ago.There son Geoff was the woodwork teacher at Casterton School for many years and still lives in Little Casterton.