POW Camp/Page 1 (Archive)

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: POW Camp/Page 1 (Archive)
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date January 11, 2006 @ 10:53 AM
 RE: Prisoner of War Camp Empingham Road Stamford
 RE: Prisoner of War Camp.Stamford -icecream round
 RE: POW Camp - Tarring of Huts
 POWs sing 'Silent Night'
 Circus - we got in free
 Circus slot
 Circus near the "Walnut Trees"
 POW Camp Empingham Road Stamford
  Prisoner of War Camp Empingham Road Stamford
 POW Camp/Tinwell Farm
 POW Camp
 POW Camp/might be photo
 POW Camp/mssge Tony
 POW Camp
 POW/buses query
 POW/Story's buses
 POW/Story's buses
 POW/Story's buses
 POW Camp
 POW
 POW/Caravan site
 POW Camp/flying circus
 POW/Stations of the Cross
 POW/Wikipedia
 POW/carvings
 POW/wooden toys
 POW/wooden tractor
 POW/When did camp close?
 POW Camp
  POWCamp/I was there
 POW Camp/souvenir
 POW Camp Stamford
 POW Camp Choir
 POW Camp/Mosquito
 POWStamford/Mosquito accident
 POW Camp/caravan living
 RE: POW Camp/Page 1 (Archive)
 POW Camp Stamford

Kate
January 11, 2006 @ 10:53 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During the '40s the present site of the Jelson housing development in Empingham Road was a Prisoner of War Camp and the prisoners were kept there.  They were allowed to walk around the town and I can remember seeing some of them doing just that.  Later when the prisoners left ,the camp was turned into housing (I think at first it was just prefabs which were converted from the prison camp).  
Does anyone else have any information about the Prisoner of War Camp?  If so please let us know.

Clem
March 20, 2006 @ 3:46 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes it was a prison camp, the pre-fabs were used as housing after the war, my eldest sister lived up the camp when she first got married, so did a lot of local people, I used to deliver groceries up to the camp.  I worked for "Hunters tea store" that was in the High Street, the manager was Frank Sharman, he & his family lived in Queen Street. When the old camp & pre-fabs closed for the development by Jelsons, the last person to leave was "Tom Regis"
Ed:  Was Tom Regis the Regis who started the supermarket in Green Lane?  I think it was our first supermarket.

Clem
March 21, 2006 @ 12:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No it was his father John Regis that started "Sally Morelands" the first supermarket in Stamford the Regis family were all very hard workers & still are, they were a large family, my father was a good friend of Mr. John Regis, John also started the "Lincoln Creamerie" ice cream shop which was in High street, prior to setting up the Supermarket, Tom Regis ran the new store they moved to near the Brickyard which later was sold out to the Co-op.
Kate: Thanks Clem - I think there was also a garden centre to the rear of the supermarket in Little Casterton Road run by John Knight.  He later moved to Great Casterton.

Clem
March 21, 2006 @ 5:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Correct re-John knight, prior to that & before Waverley Gardens houses  were built the site was used by "All Saints Metal Craft" also "Stirtons" had premises there, the field was also used for the "Circus" on at least one occasion as I recall?
Ed: Thanks Clem.  Anyone else remember the Circus there?  I remember one used to be in "Bricks Field" up Empingham Road.

Tony Lilley
February 6, 2007 @ 3:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My dad Reuben Lilley had many jobs in Stamford and after leaving the army circa 1946 worked at the Brickyard (was it Williamson Cliff?) (yes it was - has recently been demolished and  the site being developed for housing - K) with a German ex prisoner of war called Gerard Johns who stayed in Stamford for several years after the war and they were great friends. He went back to Germany and we were in touch with him until about 1960 when we believe he emigrated to Canada and possibly lost our address.
Kate:  Perhaps this might be seen by Gerard Johns or his relatives - its amazing what is picked up on the search engines.  We have hits from all over the world including Canada.

Tony Lilley
February 6, 2007 @ 3:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I found this interesting about the Regis family. My dad Reuben worked for them on their market stalls in places like Kings Lynn, Stamford, and other places. Dad also sold Ice Cream from their Ice Cream van in places like Kettering or Corby and I remember 'helping' him as he drove around the estates in those towns.
During my school holidays I worked at Sally Morelands, and Tom was a keen golfer at Burghley Park club, playing there with dad sometimes.
Kate:  Thanks for that Tony.  Anyone else remember or worked at Sally Morelands?  Drop us a line.

Jackie
August 16, 2007 @ 8:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Sally Moorlands.  I used to go to the Bluecoat School and the Fane School and occasionally went in there.  I had relatives who lived up that end of town and I went in shopping with my Mum too.

roy rudkin
January 18, 2009 @ 8:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I rember the prisoner of war camp I lived there untill 1954 when we moved to MASTERTON ROAD, my name is Roy Rudkin I believe we lived at no 2, Dave Thorpe was our next door neighbour, my farther used to have a ice cream round on a sunday afternoon, he would ride around on a tricycle. I can rember locking my self in the toilet and my mother called out the fire brigade to get me out. Good times.

R Rudkin

Richard Campbell
January 18, 2009 @ 9:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to live at the camp until about 1954...we then moved to Willoughby Road.

We lived at Oak Walk I'm not sure of the number and I have a photo of my Dad's Austin seven parked outside.

The Council used to come and 'tar' the huts every year to make them waterproof....my Mother used to dread it as I used to help!!!

John Knight lives next door to my Mother in Highlands Way.

He has family in Great Casterton but has not moved there....or if he has it has to have been in the last day or so because I've seem him.

Richard

Patrick
April 2, 2009 @ 2:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I came home in December 1946 after three years in the Navy and took my mother to Midnight Mass at the Catholicc Church in Broad Street.  The priest had invited the Camp Choir from the PoW camp to sing at the service.  They were very good and, amongst the carols, all in German, they sang `Silent Night`. Very moving bearing in mind that they were still far from going home.  Afterwards, they presented the Church with 14 wooden and coloured carvings depicting the `Stations of the Cross` (incidents on Jesus` journey to Calvary`).  Well worth popping in for a look if you are passing by.  I hope they are still there - it`s some time since I went in!

DOUBLE CLICK ON PHOTO TO SEE LARGER IMAGE
CLICK ON BACK BUTTON TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE

St Augustine's Church, Broad Street, Stamford

St Augustine's Church, Broad Street, Stamford
© Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

betty bradshaw
April 2, 2009 @ 6:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No Clem The Circus was not on the Waverley Gardens site, it was opposite the cemetery, the same field was used by the Gypsies at different times.  This land was by "The Walnut Trees"  We used to go round to the circus and scramble underneath the canvas and watch the show free.

Patrick
April 2, 2009 @ 9:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Before Northumberland Avenue was built the Circus was often in the field on the corner of New Cross Road and Cemetery (now Radcliffe) Road.  Perhaps the Circus just went wherever it could find room.

Clem Walden
April 3, 2009 @ 12:43 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Betty, I agree with you re; the circus & the Gypsies being on the field oposite the cemetery there was also a tip adjacent to this field, the land was indeed by the the "Wallnut Trees" but I understand the first year the circus was on that field was 1947/8 so I am told, the field that became Waverley Gardens was used for the circus on at least "one" occasion, as I stated I believe that was in 1945/6 just after the war, at that time the field you mention was used for growing crops, maybe somebody could confirm this.

Joe Perduno
January 7, 2010 @ 7:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Editor, (Kate?) I have been researching POW camp 106 in stamford & have managed to locate a list of POWs who were interred there in the 1940's. Still looking for photos though.....
Can anyone help?

Kate:  Hi Joe.  Anyone out there have a photo of the POW Camp?  Email into me and I will post it on the website.

JOE PERDUNO
January 15, 2010 @ 7:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate - With regards to the POW camp at Stamford, I would like to ask you if I could give copies of the comments made on this website to the Museum in Stamford. They have a file on the Camp which includes an aerial photo taken years ago by Cambridge University students, plus other interesting information, ( the comments made on this forum would be a perfect addition ). I also have a list of Italian POWs that I obtained from the International Red Cross, ( my father was a POW there ), which I intend to donate to the museum.
What do you think? Kind Regards, Joe Perduno
Kate: Hi Joe.  I would be happy for  copies of comments re Prisoner of War Camp posted on this website  to be given to Stamford Museum but prior to that, I would like you to get one of the Museum Staff to email me to give their permission for this information to be added to their file.  Alan Tutt is the officer who usually writes to the website. It should have an acknowledgement on it to the effect "by kind permission of stamfordtown.com" or words to that effect.  If possible, it would be good to have an email of the photo you refer to then I could add it to this thread.  The photo should be sent as small as poss.I can add it with the ability to enlarge it once it appears on the forum.
I would also add the list of POWs to this thread if you send it to me.
Hope this helps Joe.  Hope the research continues to go well.K
email address
kate@stamfordtown.com

Helen
January 11, 2011 @ 3:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Joe

I read with interest your comments concerning Italian POWs.  I am looking to put together a list of Italian POWs held at a camp in Leicestershire.  I wondered what information you provided to the Red Cross in order to obtain this and how you went about doing this.

I would really appreciate any information that you are able to provide.

Regards
Helen

John Tyers
January 12, 2011 @ 1:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remember going potato picking at Wittering towards the war's end and the feeling of resentment amongst us young lads at having to take orders from a rather fierce Italian POW presumably from the Empingham Road camp, who seemed to be acting as the farm foreman issuing out orders to all and sundry including the regular farm workers. I recall him telling us off for not working fast enough. We only stuck that job for half a day; the farmer paid us each half a crown at dinnertime and we walked home. With the benefit of hindsight, perhaps that POW was just a good worker and an asset to the farm.  I wonder if he stayed here after the war instead of going home.

Julien Mcgowan
January 28, 2011 @ 11:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have some letters written to a German internee at this camp.  Most are written and hard to understand/translate but i also have a typed letter from his home town of Rosenheim.  
Kate:  Hi Julien.  I have emailed you off forum but have not received a reply from
you - wonder if it arrived?  If you are able to scan the letters to me and send by email - best just as a plain scan and not contained within a programme - to
kate@stamfordtown.com  I will try to add them to the Forum so that they can be viewed by those interested.  Hope to hear from you.

TONY STORY
April 21, 2011 @ 9:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello,  I remember the prisoner war camp well.   My grandfather had a farm in Tinwell, and we ( I was very young but remember it well) used to take a horse and cart from Tinwell to the camp to pick up pigswill for the farm pigs.   However before the pigs got it, we put the swill into an outside tank and boiled it.   The steam from the boiling was directed into the milk bottling room to sterilise the bottles before we hand filled them - Conservationists eat your heart out !!   There were two or three prisoners living in the farm house at the same time, who, I bet, couldn't believe their luck.   In the long summer evenings we used to play in all the old buildings on the farm.    These are now a private housing complex.  Two years ago, I travelled to northern Germany to visit one of them (Gus, he was over 90)
and he recognised me, and I him immediately.   Gus died last year
Kate: Hi Tony.  Thanks very much for that addition to the Camp memories. It would be great if you had any photos of the Camp?  Here's hoping anyway.

Clem Walden
April 22, 2011 @ 8:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Tony, great posting, nice to see you on board you must have loads of memories you could post? I remember going to your grandfathers farm with you and others in those days. I also remember many other things we did in 1946/9 following the end of the war. And feel sure so do you? Great days "not a care in the world then"

TONY STORY
April 22, 2011 @ 9:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Kate,

Sorry I do not have pix, even though I am a photographer.   I have sent emails to my relations though, and they MIGHT pitch up with something !!
Regards,
Tony
Kate Hi Tony.  Do hope those rellies have a photo.  We can see it in our minds - but did it really look like that?!

John Tyers
April 23, 2011 @ 7:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tony; Somewhere on AGF I recall seeing a photo taken in the early thirties of two marvellous ancient buses, I think run by Mr Story of Tinwell predating the advent of United Counties services locally.  Would this gentleman be your grandfather and did he eventually sell out to United Counties?  If so, he must have had his hands full running a bus service as well as farming!  Do you know which routes he operated?  Would be interested to know - old local trains and bus services are of great interest to me.

Tony Story
May 1, 2011 @ 7:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello John,

Yes, Mr. Frank Story (Capt.RN retired) was my Grandfather, and he did have a small 'bus company.   My father was placed in charge, and eventually the company was squeezed out by United Counties.   Eventually UC bought the company, and it would seem it included my father, who then spent the rest of his life with United Counties.   I have two very interesting photographs, but do not know how to attach them to this comment.   If you know how this is done, let me know, and I will load them up !!
Kate: Hi Tony. Would be good to receive the photographs.  You need to save them on your computer hard-drive (as you usually do for any photos) then send them as an attachment in an email addressed to me  that is
kate@stamfordtown.com
Just put heading of title on the email.  The details of the photos should be posted on this forum  as normal (rather than on the email  with the photo) as this will make it easier for me to load onto the forum.  Hope this is clear for you?K

TONY STORY
May 2, 2011 @ 8:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The photograph shows my father on the right with two employees and three of the bus's.   I think the tyres on some of them were solid, but cannot verify this.

I think the advertisement was in a local church magazine, but again cannot verify this.
Kate:  Thanks for these brilliant photos Tony.  Have never seen those buses before.  Anyone out there travel on these buses?  Send in your memories.  Where were you picked up, dropped off?  Did they have a conductor?

To view screen wide image double click on photo, then click on + sign, then click on view all sizes top right

Stamford Motor Bus Co.

Stamford Motor Bus Co.

June Rollings
May 2, 2011 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi. Tony.My husbands father, Jack Rollings,was a driver for Mr Frank Storey of Tinwell for several years, eventually going to work for United Counties Bus Company until November 1944.  Wehave a lovely barometer which was presented to him when he left their employment. We also have a number  of  Safe Driving Medals which he received  during his employment with them.

John Tyers
May 3, 2011 @ 5:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Great stuff Tony, the bus reg no. FP2212 in the photo looks like a Chevrolet which evolved into the early Bedfords and seems to have pneumatic tyres. Are they garaged behind St.Martin's Church?  On the poster advertising your grandfather's service, it is quite amusing to see the destinations are only on certain days e.g. Tinwell, Ketton on Fridays and Saturdays; what about if you wanted to go there during the rest of the week? As a small boy before the war, we always used to travel to Uppingham to visit my grandmother on the United Counties 2 pm Sunday service starting from St.Peter's Hill.  I used to dread the petrol engined Leyland Lions turning up because of the fumes which made me sick.  If it was an early Bristol, I was OK because they were diesel engined and then new.  Anyway marvellous piece of local history!

Clem Walden
May 4, 2011 @ 7:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tony, what great photo's, I never knew about the Story's bus service but I well remember those visit to the farm when we were all so much younger. I can see your dad now walking through the square to number 12 in his uniform when he was with United Counties, he looks so young on the photo you posted but one can see its Jack Story. Your posting brings back lots of fond memories thanks Tony.

Mike Laughton
May 5, 2011 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford Rugby Club and The Danish Invader both stand on part of the site of what was the Prisoner of War Camp.
Immediately after the war and up until the early 1960s the buildings were used  as emergency council housing.
Many young married couples started married life "up the camp" until a new or re-let council house became available.
" many young couples preferred to wait for a council house and carry on living with in-laws rather than be associated with people they considered to be "a bit rough".
Some couples had no choice and many a local authority might wish they has a facility like the POW camp today.
The roads in the camp were named after trees - Oak Road, Ash Road etc

Mike Laughton
May 5, 2011 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford Rugby Club and The Danish Invader both stand on part of the site of what was the Prisoner of War Camp.
Immediately after the war and up until the early 1960s the buildings were used  as emergency council housing.
Many young married couples started married life "up the camp" until a new or re-let council house became available.
many young couples preferred to wait for a council house and carry on living with in-laws rather than be associated with people they considered to be "a bit rough".
Some couples had no choice and many a local authority might wish they has a facility like the POW camp today.
The roads in the camp were named after trees - Oak Road, Ash Road etc

Roger Partridge
May 7, 2011 @ 2:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There was a council owned residential caravan site on the camp until 1967.

TONY STORY
May 11, 2011 @ 7:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello all,
I have received a further piece of information concerning the POW camp.
The field on which the camp was built was part of the Tinwell farm land. Before the war it was used by Alan Cobhams flying circus.

I also have three group pix of German POW's and some of the army staff who were there.   I will add them if you let me know how to do so.
Kate: Hello Tony.  It would be great to have the photos of the German POWs and our army staff.
  You need to save them on your computer hard-drive (as you usually do for any photos) then send them as an attachment in an email addressed to me  that is
kate@stamfordtown.com
Just put heading of title on the email.  The details of the photos should be posted on this forum  as normal (rather than on the email  with the photo) as this will make it easier for me to load onto the forum.  Hope this is clear for you?K

POW Camp Stamford Army personnel

POW Camp Stamford German Chefs

POW Camp Stamford army

Great photos Tony.  Anyone out there recognise anyone? K

al tutt
January 19, 2012 @ 10:35 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate, I am researching the POW camp & am interested in the post by Patrick in 2007 regarding the Stations of the Cross in St Augustine's RC church. He recalls that they were donated by German POWs. In the book A history of the RC community of Stamford by Simon Stanley, p89 he states they were donated by the 'American armed forces stationed locally'. I went & looked at the carvings, yes they are still all there (see pic, sent to your email) & think they look Germanic & of course there is a German tradition of woodcarving. Is Mr Stanley wrong, I wonder? Perhaps, you could pass this on to Patrick?

Wood Carving St Augustine's Church Stamford

Photographs by kind permission of Alan Tutt

Kate: The following link gives a list of prisoners for POW Camp Hostel in Collyweston which was attached to Stamford POW Camp 106
http://germanpow.moonfruit.com/#/collyweston-camp/4549933121

Patrick
January 21, 2012 @ 9:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I don`t know the context in which Simon Stanley attributes the carvings to the US Army but it would be interesting to know the source.
As background to the story I can tell you that Father Adams came to Stamford in 1942/43. He had a wooden leg having lost his own in World War 1. He told us that he was impressed by the Catholic priests who were often in the front line and he was moved to find out more about the faith that made them take such risks. He then converted to Catholicism and later became a priest.
At the Midnight Mass he said that Christmas was a time for families and he was conscious that the German prisoners he had invited were far from home. He then said that he had been holding services for some time at the Camp (of which the congregation were unaware). It is reasonable to assume that he had developed a relationship with the prisoners to whom one can expect he had told the history of his leg.
A look at the carvings will show that they must have taken several months` work.

al tutt
January 22, 2012 @ 2:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Patrick I too would be interested in his source, is he still around do you know? Also, there is some ambiguity in the ref in the book so I will quote the whole paragraph -'the original SOTC,  a series of Victorian oil paintings from Paris, had been disposed of by 1945, in all likelihood victims of the damp. After the War a member of the American  armed forces stationed locally contacted Father Adams to enquire whether they might make some offering to the church, both to commemorate their stay in the area & as a memorial to those who had died in the 2 WWs. Adams indicated his desire for a new set of SOTC to match the work that had already been done in the church & these WERE COMMISSIONED, hand carved in wood & fitted as they are today.' That's all

Patrick
January 23, 2012 @ 2:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Searching for Simon Stanley`s Book on the Stamford RC community I came across a detailed account of the church on Wikipedia. On Internal Decoration is an item saying `The fourteen hand-carved wooden Stations of the Cross were donated by German prisoners-of-war From PoW Camp106 on Empingham Road after a choir from the Camp sang at Midnight Mass in December 1946`.

alan tutt
January 26, 2012 @ 9:29 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A thought crossed my mind, could the Americans have 'commissioned' the German pows to carve the SOTC in return for privileges cigarettes, rations etc? Who knows?

John Tyers
January 27, 2012 @ 2:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can't quite see Alan what the ubiquitous Americans would have to do with a British run POW camp.  A friend now sadly deceased who worked at Blackos' during the war told me the German POWs laboured around the place and his mother despite the scarcity of their own rations would sometimes take pity on them and bake them a cake which he would take into work for them.  Evidently they made quite intricate wooden toys in return for small favours.  It says something for the British character in that my mother told me when she worked at Melbournes, a British Sergeant would conduct a gang from the camp to work there each morning.  One day for some reason this character who evidently was an unsavoury piece of work slapped one of the prisoners across the face.  The women who, over time had brefriended the prisoners, ganged up on him and asked the management not to allow him on the premises again!  And this was in wartime lol.

syd
February 1, 2012 @ 6:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I had a wooden tractor made for me, and I have believed all these years that it and other toys were made by the Polish troops, so I wonder if they maybe had anything to do with carving the Stations of the Cross.

Patrick
February 3, 2012 @ 7:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

One last note. I don`t recall any US personnel  at the service or any mention of the donors but I expect by December 1946 the American servicemen were all back in the USA.
On another point, does anyone recall the date when the PoW camp was closed and the prisoners repatriated? I was at Dow-Macs at Tallington in 1950 and I`m fairly sure I remember there were German PoWs working on the production of concrete railway sleepers. Am I correct? I recall that they said they were part of the Afrika Korps (which surrendered in 1943) so they would have been prisoners for seven years. There was some talk that some of them were happy to stay here because their homes were in the Russian sector of Germany.

Al Tutt
February 15, 2012 @ 1:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, still on this topic. I have written a piece for Stamford Living, unfinished as yet, firstly can you ask Tony Story if I can use 1 or 2 of his pics for it (credited)? And can I ask for Patrick's second name as I wish to use his words about the Xmas service (credited) ?

cheers

Alan
Hi Alan.  I have emailed Tony and Patrick and asked them to reply to your requests on this space.  Hopefully they will agree.  It would be great to see a copy of the article when it is complete.

TONY STORY
February 15, 2012 @ 2:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Kate and Al,

Yes it will be OK to reproduce the photographs.   I look forward to readiing the piece.

al tutt
February 22, 2012 @ 9:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can Tony email me the pics direct at some pt - the ones on here are too small?

thanks

Hi Al

Kate:  Can you pick them up from the FLICKR page?  Not sure if you can - have a go and see if it works -  click on the thumbnail on here, go on Share, cut the code then paste onto the place where you want them.  Let us know if that works.

Werner Heese
May 2, 2012 @ 9:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have a picture of German prisoners taken at the same door as the picture of the British staff, therefore I believe I was at that camp. I was there from Spring 1946 until 1949. I was captured in Denmark brought to a a prison camp in Belgium where about 3000 prisoners were kept in tents over the winter. Many prisoners died but I was lucky and was released to England were we were treated humanly and were
we were fed back to health. I have good memories of that camp but I can not remember any names.
I would be grateful if you have any pictures of prisoners or any other information.
Kate: Hello Werner.  Glad you managed to find us on the internet.  I wonder if you could email me any photos you have of the Camp?  You would need to send them to my email at     kate@stamfordtown.com  I could then load them on FLICKR and on this website.  
I don't know if any of the British Staff have seen this thread about the Camp.
Hopefully your name may ring a bell or perhaps if you send a photo it will jogg some memories.  Hope you will keep in touch as I know there has been a lot of interest in the old POW Camp.

Werner Heese
May 10, 2012 @ 3:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thank you for your reply, first I like to say that I was in the camp until 1948 not 1949. Currently I am having the picture from the camp re finished by a photagraper, I will send it to you as soon as I get it.
Werner Heese
Kate: Hello Werner.  I am looking forward to seeing the photograph.  Thank you for taking the trouble of getting the photograph enhanced.  I am sure local people here will look forward to perhaps hearing more about your stay at the Camp, and perhaps others who stayed at the Camp will recognise your name and reply.  Hope so anyway.

Mick Lynas
May 13, 2012 @ 9:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate I remember the POWs working on farms at Essendine when I was six to eight years old. We used to talk to them (or at least communicate with them) when they were waiting for transport at about 4p.m. One made me a little silver ring out of a coin. I think it was a sixpence. I had the ring for years but eventually lost it. My memories of them were as very pleasant people.
Hi Mick - thanks for adding your memory to the website  so that we all can  share it.

Werner Heese
May 25, 2012 @ 1:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I had the picture from the camp enhanced,I am the one on the right hand outside. I hope someone will recognize some people.
How do I get the picture to you I have it now on my computer.
Kate:  Hello Werner.  Thankyou for getting the picture enhanced.  On your send new email function, you should see a bit saying "add picture or add photo"
You can then send it from your computer to my email address which is

kate@stamfordtown.com

Hope you can manage to send it and I will be looking out for it arriving.
Thanks again. Kate

POW prisoners - Werner Heese end right middle row

POW prisoners - Stamford Camp
POW prisoners - Stamford Camp

Dear Kate I hope that there will be some response from other former prisoners. I have good memories of that camp, we were treated humanly and got plenty to eat. I was in the Stamford camp from May 1946 until my release in March 1948.
Coming from Belgium the food alone was a treat for us all. Many of us came from that particular camp which was called Camp 2228 in Terlanen Overijse. My spelling might be wrong but whoever was in that camp will know which I mean. One thing I remember that we were building a road for a farmer.
Thank you very much for allowing me to send you these pictures.
Werner Heese

Hi Werner.  Thanks very much for the great photos.  They are now also on FLIKR.  If you click on one of the photos and go to SLIDESHOW you will see the photos at a much larger magnification. To  halt at a particular photo click on the double bar image bottom left of the photo you wish to view for longer.  I wonder if you remember any of the names at all?  If so, I could add them on this posting (even if you are not sure of which name belongs to which person in the photos).  After a week or two Google will pick up the names and anyone putting that name in Google will find the link to this site and find our POW CAMP archive.
This way we may be able to find some of the other people in the photograph.
Thanks again for taking the time to send these. Kate

Werner Heese
May 29, 2012 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thank you for posting the pictures. Unfortunately I do not remember any names but I do remember that the 10 persons sitting down were 10 select members of a camp choir. These were the best voices, the choir actually had 60 people.Maybe that will add some information that will help to find someone.  
Regards Werner

Kate
July 6, 2012 @ 8:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Someone posted an item re accident at Wittering in 1946 when 3 German POWs
tried to rescue 2 RAF personnel from a burning Mosquito plane.  They were unsuccessful in their attempt at rescue but were recommended for early repatriation.  If you were the person who posted this item to the website please repost as due to a Server problems some items have been lost and this was one of them.  I have since received information from one of the relatives of the Airmen with further details including the names of the 2 Airmen and also the  German POWs. I will be posting this info shortly (thank you Catherine your email received).
Kate

Catherine
July 6, 2012 @ 8:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

HI Kate,
My Mother's first husband was killed in an air crash in 1946. His name was Frances Colin Ashworth. This extract from Hansard might be of interest to you.
I believe that his Mother Alice Ashworth sent a letter to ask that they be sent home after trying to save the lives of her son -the navigator--and his friend--Dominic Page--the pilot.I believe the three German men suffered some burns in their attempt to save the lives of these two young Englishmen.

HANSARD 1803–2005 ? 1940s ? 1946 ? December 1946 ? 3 December 1946 ? Commons Sitting ? PRISONERS OF WAR
Aircraft Accident (Rescue Work)
HC Deb 03 December 1946 vol 431 c203 203
§ 43. Mr. An Report other issues Anthony Greenwood
asked the Secretary of State for War whether his attention has been called to Ulrich Wolfs, Fritz Oeder and Joseph Schoensteiner, German prisoners at 106 Prisoner-of-War Camp, Stamford, Lincolnshire, who, on 19th September, 1946, attempted to rescue Flight.-Lieutenant Page and Flying-Officer Ashworth from a blazing Mosquito aircraft after it had crashed near Wittering, and whose gallant conduct was commended by the coroner; and whether he Is able to arrange early repatriation for these men.
§ Mr. Bellenger
Yes, Sir. The conduct of these three prisoners of war has resulted in arrangements being made for their repatriation on 21st December.
Best wishes,
Catherine
Catherine - thanks so much for sending this information - which will be of great interest to all those following the Stamford  POW Camp thread.  Also those interested in the lives of British airmen and their missions.  Unfortunately, as you will see, the previous posting to this thread went missing during a Server upgrade - but I am hopeful that the original poster will call back as he wanted information on this accident - and hopefully will repost the item.
Keep checking for further updates and thankyou for taking the time to inform everyone of the details of this accident and for giving us the personal insight you have on this. Kate
Kate: Found this link through Google about Flight Lieutenant Dominic PAGE.
Quite interesting - and amazing that his aircraft crashed overseas and he was a prisoner of war for three and a half years and died later when the
Mosquito crashed at Wittering.
http://www.hambo.org/kingscanterbury/view_man.php?id=75

Francis Colin ASHWORTH's gravestone is at
Cemetery: Stand Lane (St. John) Churchyard Lancashire
He was British RAF official number 166514

He died 19th September 1946 at the age of 21. He was the son  of Harry and Alice Ashworth; husband of Edwina Taylor Ashworth of Radcliffe. Sec. E. Grave 9.
This information is on the War Graves Photographic Project where you can view and order a copy of the photograph of his gravestone.

John Viney
July 7, 2012 @ 9:43 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My family moved to the caravan site here in 1964 until being moved into housing in 1967.  Each caravan (and in the end there were only four of them) stood near the concrete base slabs where the old huts had been, and we used the outside toilets in the large block on site.  I went to Exeter school which was just over the road.  My boyhood memory was playing football on the pitch there that still had one set of metal goal posts up, and the pitch itself being the roughest and most uneven surface you could imagine.  In 1966, crowded round a small black and white TV in one of the neighbour's caravans we watched England win the World Cup and immediately afterwards went and re-enacted the game!  It was not much fun being three children and two adults in a small caravan and really appreciated the new house in Edward Rd when we moved there.

Clem Walden
July 22, 2012 @ 9:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Kate [This is one of your missing postings. As I posted this previously]
=================================================
Dear Werner  looking at your photos many childhood memories came flooding through my brain; I remember as a young boy the development of the Essex road prefabs; The prisoners from the camp were involved on the ground works and infrastructue; We would watch them working with great interest. Italians;Poles;Germans; As young children we would often walk up to the Empingham road prision camp and gaze at the prisoners as we walked by. I understand some of them actually  remained in Stamford and worked at the local brickworks or found employment with local farmers or other local industries; I remember having several toy's that were made by prisoners from the camp when I was a child. Pecking Chickens-Climbing Monkeys-Clowns On Sticks; all would be decorated with cigarette burns; I wonder if any of those individuals shown in your photo's were responsible for making any of these.  Nearly every young boy and girl that lived within the Essex road and Tolethorpe Square area in 1945/7 had such toy's. Of course as young children then we never really understood what the War was about. But we did appreciate those toy's that were made for us by the prisoners all those years ago. Grateful thanks for the photo's and for recalling fond childhood memories.
Kate:  Hi Clem.  Thanks very much for taking the time to repost. Its good to have the continuity of all the messages.   My server people did not seem to have a backup for the last few posts when they did a server update.
Hope we have retrieved them all now.

J smith
June 7, 2014 @ 7:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tony,I remember your father. When in my miss spent youth I went to the snooker hall run by Arthur Lilley your father would be there playing with Reg ? who also worked for Sally Morland.I also remember your mother when I worked at Casseloids think her name Mary?.I had just left school and being shy she took me under her wing great lady,fond memories

linda kennedy nee hawes
October 21, 2014 @ 2:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

did you have a brother called phil

MRS M Duff.
April 15, 2017 @ 6:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

.The majority of the first residents living at the ex prisoner of war camp were uk ex servicemen personal and their wives and families.  My sister who is 91 years of age lived on Fir Road ,eventually myself and  my late husband was allocated number 154  Empingham   Road ,with it being on the front was brick built.. 2 of my children were born at that address back in 1957 and 1958.  Until the Northfields estate was built there wasn't enough houses in Stamford so one had to go on the housing list and wait your turn.  In those days you were lucky if you owned a camera hence not many pictures available, I have one of my  husband and myself when we must have visited my sister sometime, Can still add up.

Tony Lilley
November 10, 2014 @ 11:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi J? Smith. Mum (Mary) and dad (Reuben) moved to St Albans when mum retired from Cascelloids in 1973 to live near her sister Gretta. Dad died in 1982 aged 66 and mum died in 2009 aged 96. Could the Reg? be one of the Regis family who owned Sally Morelands?