Circus Bricks field off Empingham Road Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Circus Bricks field off Empingham Road Stamford
Topic Originator: Editor
Post Date January 14, 2006 @ 8:38 AM
 RE: Circus Bricks field off Empingham Road Stamford

Editor
January 14, 2006 @ 8:38 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was small The Circus used to visit town and pitch its marquees in Bricks Field.  (The field was owned by a local Building Company).  We were all totally excited when The Circus arrived.  Half the fun was going to wander round the  field to see the circus act residents in their campervans and caravans.  We would see them at their worst, in their everyday outfits not in their glamorous "Big Top" attire.  First of all, they recruited a few local lads to help them put up the "Big Top" - we used to watch that going on.  Sometimes they had wild animals, lions and elephants.  We were fascinated by the elephant droppings which were like large footballs and demanded close study by us 5 year olds!  They also had horses and ponies, dogs, clowns, trapeze artistes etc.
We were lucky enough to go to one of the performances and were a bit awestruck by the antics of the highwire people in particular.  Also the bareback riding and the cowboy outfits appealed.
Did you go to the circus in Stamford?  If so let us know how you enjoyed it.  If yo went to the circus in another town you can post it to this area or to the other Childhood Memories area on the forum.

margaret rogers
November 4, 2006 @ 8:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i remember a circus somewhere along empingham road, in the 80s, it was the first time i had been, my dad ,my then step mum my two sisters and brother billy and children in tow it was a family night it was fantastic, i think me and my nephews simon,mark had candy floss, and were amazed it kept us quiet for a few hours
Kate: Thanks Margaret - anyone else have circus memories? Also Candyfloss memories?  It was amazing the first time you had candyfloss - like nothing you ever experienced before and fun and in your face!

Roger Partridge
September 6, 2013 @ 5:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sometime in the mid/late 1950s, Bertram Mills Circus set ip for a few days in a field on Tinwell Rd, just past Water Furlong. I think my mother took me and a neighbour took their child also.

But I don't remember anything of the acts.

Gillian Hendy
September 7, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember going to a circus when I was about 6 or so.  It was held in a field opposite where Sally Morlands supermarket used to be in Green Lane(s).   Looking back it was very cruel the way animals were used in circuses and thankfully these days those circuses who use animals are becoming rarer.