FANEARCHIVE only (1) post to page 2 please

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: FANEARCHIVE only (1) post to page 2 please
Topic Originator: IAN HAGGERTY
Post Date January 29, 2006 @ 3:36 PM
 FANE: Photos
 Mrs Wright/Miss Noble/Mrs Steele
 Mr Hunt/Mrs Steele
 Fane: Teachers
 Teachers/Students
 RE: FANE SCHOOL
 Teachers
 Fane SwimmingPool
 Fane Teachers
 Fane Teachers
 Square Dance
 Miss Cropley came to visit me
 Dancing at the Fane
 Fane - Metal Work Class
 Fane Teachers - The Clevelands/Morris 8
 Salon of Miss K Tesh
 Metalwork class mementos
 Upper & Lower Sixth
 Cross country to FANE
 Fane:model trains (Mr Cleveland)
 FANE: Saw original built!
 FANE: The Clevelands
 FANE:Disco Nights
 FANE: Why "the Fane"?
 FANE: Was there a Colonel Fane?
 FANE was it Fane family?
 FANE: Col Hon Mountjoy-Fane
 FANE/currants in the pantry
 FANE/Joan & Brenda were friends
 FANE/exciting now, was it grey then?
 FANE/Radcliffe Rd neighbours
 FANE/Radcliffe Rd Matthews family
 FANE/Garret's shop
 FANE/ Mrs Key
 FANE: Teachers
 FANE/Miss Ward, Miss Deer
 FANE/mssgeJanet Cleveland
 FANE/ dinners in "the hut"
 FANE/message for Diane
 FANE/messge for Janet C
 FANE/Reunion 19 Sept 2009?
 FANE/messge from Jan Matthews
 FANE SCHOOL/cross country winner
 FANE/6th formroom
 FANE/Disco
 FANE SCHOOL/Ida Deer
 FANE SCHOOL/is that quite clear?
  FANE SCHOOL/Miss Deer
  FANE SCHOOL
  FANE SCHOOL/Ida Deer
  FANE SCHOOL
  FANE SCHOOL/good teachers/friends
  FANE SCHOOL
  FANE SCHOOL
  FANE SCHOOL
  FANE SCHOOL
 RE: FANEARCHIVE only (1) post to page 2 please
 : FANEARCHIVE only (1) post to page 2 please

IAN HAGGERTY
January 29, 2006 @ 3:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

HOW MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WENT TO FANE SCHOOL? I WENT THERE FROM 1974 TO 1979, MY BEST FRIENDS WERE STEPHEN COOPER AND CLIVE JACKSON. WHEN I WAS IN THE FIRST YEAR I REMEMBER MRS YATES  TAPPING HER STICK ON THE WINDOW AT US CHILDREN, FOR ANY WRONGDOING, ( I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER THIS TELLING OFF WAS PRECEDED BY A ' ER YOU BOY')!!
      MR RAWSTHORNE, MRS CLIFFE, MR ALLAN(MATHS TEACHER) MRS MATTHEWS (FRENCH TEACHER) ARE SOME OF THE TEACHERS I REMEMBER.
      CAN ANYONE REMEMBER THE SILLY LITTLE SWIMMING POOL WE HAD ON THE NORTH SITE?
       I HAVE A MILLION MEMORIES OF FANE SCHOOL, BUT WONT GO ON AS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLES MEMORIES.
Kate: Thanks for that Ian.  I  also remember Miss Yates,  for a small lady she had a lot of personality.

Renee Burt
April 20, 2006 @ 11:49 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

There are many photographs kept in albums in the Phillips Collection Room at Stamford Town Hall.  Please call at the Town Hall and ask when it is convenient for you to view these.
Kate:  Thanks Renee.  Good thing the photos were saved.  They may be of  great interest to many ex-pupils and staff of Fane School.

Chris
April 21, 2006 @ 6:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to the Fane (Primary) School in 1942 for 3 years until I went to All Saints. I had 3 teachers, Mrs Wright (I think, though I'm not really sure that was her name) Miss Noble, lovely, tall, kind person, occaisionally would bring a black scottie dog to school and at break times, as a special treat, under supervision, we were allowed to walk the little dog on his lead on the grass area within the school premises. Then there was  Mrs Steele, I was scared of her, I remember black curly hair, a very sharp voice and being taken to task  for breaking a pencil point.
Editor: Thanks for those memories Chris. I too remember a rather elegant Miss Noble - I think she also ran part of the Guides or Red Cross?  The Fane is those days seemed a very "swish" place compared to little St. John's in Scotgate with its cramped little rooms and rather old-fashioned ways.  After 3 weeks at The Fane I insisted on going to St. John's!  Perhaps because my sister was already attending there.(although I suspect it was the lure of that rocking horse in Class I).

john freear
May 12, 2006 @ 1:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Mrs Steele was a very daunting character and very sharp, as was the back edge of the ruler on the back of your hand for a misdemeanour (?spelling). I started there in 1935, the caretaker was Mr Hunt who lived in Alexander Road. Some of the children said that the Father Christmas who appeared at the farewell party before the Christmas holiday was Mr Hunt, but I knew better,it really was Father Christmas!!!!!!!
Incidentally Chris is my "Little Sister" given to me on Christmas Day 1937. At 7 years of age I was not impressed, I am more so these days!!!!!!!!
Kate: Spelling full marks John, so Mrs Steele made you get them right.  Oh dear John, were you a horrible brother to Chris?  I don't think so.  I imagine you protected her once she became a child rather than a baby!  Did you ever have a go on that motorbike of hers?

ANDREW MATTHEWS
December 31, 2007 @ 3:37 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was very interesting to read Ian Haggerty's memories of the Fane School in the 1970s and it brought many memories back for me. I don't remember Ian but I was at the Fane School from 1975 to 1981. I can remember the small swimming pool which was located at the South Site (where Queen Eleanor is now). The original Fane School (the older buildings) was known as North site. We would often have to walk between the sites for different lessons.
I can remember Miss Yates very well - she had a Hillman Imp car and her dog would always come to school in it with her. She was very strict (the old school type) and would sometimes tick the teachers off as well as the pupils. But I still remember her with some affection. She was replaced as Head by Terry Stoneman in April 1977. The teachers I can remember are Mr Cleveland who had one eye having lost the other one in an accident during a metal work lesson at the school. His wife taught needlework to the girls. Also, Mr and Mrs Dunnet, Mr Rawsthorne (woodwork) who was a young teacher who drove a Ford Capri, Mrs Burt (maths), Mrs Patterson (maths) also known as 'Granny Hot Rod', Mr Wilmott, Mrs McLelland (Science), Mrs Matthews (French) who was more remembered by the lads for her physical attributes than her teaching, Mr Ralphs and Mr Kee (English), Mrs Cassidy (German), Mrs Alston (English), Mr Corby (drama), Miss Fox (Domestic Science) to name a few. I can also remember the new school being built at South Site and catching fire and the drama of watching the Fire Brigade turn up to put it out. My friends at Fane School were Clive Armstrong, Ross Cameron, Chris King, Dean Skerritt and Tony Lang-Norris. I am still good friends with Ross Cameron and see Clive and Dean  around town occasionally. I'd luv to read other people's memories of Fane particularly in those days.

Sarah Airhart ne; Davies
January 13, 2008 @ 4:15 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

WOW how small is our world? I went to Fane from 1980 to 1984. I remember all the teachers you recalled but Mr Corby was photography and Mrs Corby was drama? and we were in both buildings-lets see who do I remember, Lynn, Yvonne, Carl, Rosie, Debra and Tracy, Sally, Darren Laughton and Andrew Cosgrove. If any of you  read this I do hope you're well-I have lived in the States for 20 years now and started my own school!
It was lovely reminising-I'm trying to connect with old friends from Priory College-I went there for a year but it closed years ago.

Andrew Matthews
January 14, 2008 @ 12:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Sarah, thanks for adding your memories of the Fane School. By the way, you are correct, Mr Corby did teach Photography and Senior Studies but he helped Mrs Corby (his wife at the time) with the school productions each year. If you started in 1980 and were the same age as Darren Laughton you must have been in my sister's year - she was Lesley Matthews now Lesley McClarnon. Like you she went into teaching and is currently working at a primary school in Stamford. She's now married with 2 children and living back in Stamford. Names I can remember from her year are Suzanne Beresford, Joanne Davies and Karen Naylor.

Gillian
April 2, 2008 @ 8:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone know if old records of Fane exist?  I was browsing through the Stamford memories and came across the reference to Fane.  I'm pretty sure it was the school where my mother, Marjorie Long, taught as an untrained teacher in the 1930s.  The one thing I remember her telling me about the school is that staff meetings always began with a glass of sherry!
Kate: Cheers!
Anyone out there have memories of those days when the sherry was flowing? Renee Burt's posting at the top of this list refers to an archive for Fane School at The Town Hall, Stamford.

Paul Reedman
April 2, 2008 @ 4:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You can also find old school registers through the years at the Lincolnshire Archives as I used these for family history research. I think they date from 1850's up to 1960's if I'm not mistaken. There a list of loads of schools in Stamford through the years so you should be able to find what your looking for. An interesting read but also quite upsetting as there are many people listed as absent due to death (Smallpox, TB etc. War years have things like died in bombing raid). Hope this helps
Kate:  That's helpful Paul.  Hope you are ok and pleased you are still contributing to the site.  

Richard Campbell
July 1, 2008 @ 2:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to the Fane School as an infant and secondary. I left in 1966.

I remember Mr Cleveland who taught metalwork.....Mr Dawn, Science/he also played cricket.....Miss Cropley, Maths.....Mr Jones, Geography, he got me suspended for 'silent innsolence' whatever that was. Mrs Keyes, Engish Literature... and of course Miss Yates who had a Standard Atlas dormobile.....There was also a French teacher whose favourite expression was ' You are the height of lowness'
Kate: I like it!

Stuart Taylor
November 8, 2008 @ 2:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Those of us that came back from work experience after only a week in 1985 had the job of demolishing the swimming pool that was in the centre of the mobile classrooms on North Site. It took us the whole week and we were supervised by Mr Martin, who taught Social Studies.
Kate: Thanks for that memory Stuart. Hope the work experience week helped!

Andy Matthews
November 10, 2008 @ 11:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

That's interesting to know Stuart.  I left the Fane School in July 1981 and returned many years later for a social event and noticed that the mobile classrooms had gone.  I wondered when they were demolished - were the classroom demolished at the same time as the pool.
Just out of interest, the group of mobile classrooms with the pool in the centre was known as the ROSLA Block.  This was an abreviation of Raising Of School Leaving Age and was built to accommodate the extra pupils in 1972 when the school leaving age was raised to 16.  That is why the building was temporary mobiles. however, they were obviously still in use in the mid-1980's.

Clem Walden
November 11, 2008 @ 1:58 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John is a little older than I so is Chris his sister, however my first school was the Fane School, Mr hunt in my day would pretend to be Father Christmas, but like John I new better, I had seen the real father Christmas at the co-op many times, John knows he was guilty of throwing all those stones in my Dads garden that I had to pick up, before I went to School, Chris never threw stones, but she was a good motorcycle rider, can see her now, & Jonny Boughton on the Essex road "motor bikes at the ready" I was then working for old "Hunters Tea Store" that was in the High Street, "Fane School" fond childhood memories for me in 1944, John young "Tinker" Walden. is still a young man??? (It was Polly Low" was it?) give Chris my regards next time you see her, last time I saw her was about a Year ago.

Stuart Taylor
November 23, 2008 @ 1:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The mobile classrooms were still in use after I left in 1986. We merely demolished the pool.

Janet Matthews nee Cleveland
November 25, 2008 @ 10:28 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was at Fane from 1966 to 1971. My parents Mr & .Mrs. Cleveland both taught there for many years. I remember the cubicles for the 5th form along the corridors of the south site. You really were privileged to have one to study for your o levels! Lots of memories of long assemblies waiting for Miss Yates to arrive and listening to classical music. The teachers all sitting round the edge of the hall waiting for someone to misbehave.Anyone out there remember me in class?:Miss Cropley-history 1066-1485,Mrs.Key-R.K.,Mr. Guthrie-Geography,Mr.Dawn-Science,Mrs. Longbone-P.E.Mrs.Burt-maths,Mr.Sim-art,"Taffy" Jones-? Mr.Massey-?Mr.Hicks-?Mrs. Ridguard-Biology,Mrs.Parsons-cookery and house craft!! Mrs.Cliffe,-? Lots of others but I cant remember their names, perhaps these few will jog some memories for others out there.
Kate:  Hi Janet.  Thank you for your postings.  This one will I hope jog lots of memories out there.  I see Mrs Burt from time to time.  She is still as cheerful as ever.  Anyone else out there with Fane School memories to send in?

TIM MUSGROVE
December 16, 2008 @ 10:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

WENT TO FANE FROM 1980 TO 1985

SOME OTHER NAMES OF TEACHERS WITH OTHERS ALREADY MENTIONED

MR AGNEW - ART
MISS MASON - GIRLS PE
WS SOMEONE ELSE AFTER HER
MR STUART GRAY - BOYS PE
WAS SOMEONE ELSE AFTER STUART LEFT BUT CANNOT THINK OF HIS NAME HE WAS  INTO RUGBY
MR KIRBY - GEOGRAPHY - USED TO DRIVE A BEETLE
RUBY PATTERSON - MATHS - USED TO DRIVE HILLMAN IMP
MR WILMOT - DROVE A BROWN VOLVO ESTATE
MISS SIMANITE ? FRENCH AND GERMAN
MRS CASSIDY - GERMAN
MISS ( BRUMMY ) BRADSHAW - ENGLISH
MY CORBY - DRAMA
BOTH ABOVE ENDED UP AS AN ITEM
MRS CORBY - MUSIC
MISS BARWELL - RE AND HISTORY
MR NEWEL - HISTORY
MR GUTHRIE - HE DIED NOT THAT LONG AGO
MR  RALPHS - ENGLISH  
MR GLOVER - WOODWORK - WAS INTO KIT CARS
MR MARTIN - OR KNOWN AS EDDIE SHOESTRING
MRS CLIFFE
MISS FOX - HOME ECONOMICS
MRS OR MISS FORBES OR FORES ? - HOME ECONOMICS
MR ALIBASTER - COVER TEACHER
MR MACKAY - CHEMISTRY - HE Reminded me of someone, can't think who. THERE WAS SOMEONE  BEFORE HIM  WHO DID CHEMISTRY BUT CAN NOT REMEMBER NAME
MR GARDENER - PHYSICS ALL YOU NEEDED TO DO WAS START TALKING ABOUT THE RAF OR RADIOS AND HALF OF THE LEARNING  TIME WOULD BE GONE
MR CLEVELAND - METALWORK
MRS CLEVELAND - NEEDLEWORK
MRS ?  BIOLOGY - TOOK CLASS DOWN IN THE END PREFAB AT SOUTH SITE

ALSO NOT FORGETTING THE COOKS IN PARTICULAR MRS GERMANY AND HER CREAM AND JAM SCONES !

WAS THERE WITH TO NAME A FEW

ANDY BINDER
TIM CROOK
STEVE COOK
STEVE WANT
NEIL BELL
ANDREW BELL
SIMON RICHARDS
TONY ANDERSON
ROB GREEN
LISA CLEMENTS
LESLIE MATTHEWS
LESLIE JONES
ROB SMITH
NEIL PRICE
JASON NAYLOR
ALAN BROOM

GREAT TIMES THERE AT BOTH SOUTH SITE AND NORTH SITE INC. ROZLA BLOCK

YEAR 2 FORM 2/3 WAS WORST IN SCHOOL AT TIME FOR CAUSING DISORDER AND OUR FORM CLASS ROOM WAS TO THE OTHER PREFAB CLASSROOM AND FORM TEACHER WAS MISS BRADSHW AND DID WE CAUSE HER PROBLEMS.

THE OTHER PREFABS MR GLOVER SET UP A  SCALECTRIXS TRACK AND FORMED A CLUB

CAN ANY ONE FILL IN THE MISSING NAMES?
Kate:  Thanks for all that Tim - will stir up a few memories? Wonder if Mrs Germany is still making the cream and jam scones?  Caused a few happy moments for people I guess.   Happy Christmas to you and a Good New Year to follow,  and thanks for your postings.K

TIM MUSGROVE
December 16, 2008 @ 10:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

JUST THOUGHT THE BIOLOGY TEACHER MAY HAVE BEED MRS DAVIDSON ?

Dan Entwisle
December 22, 2008 @ 6:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was the Chemistry teacher Mr Marfleet? Bloke with a beard.

jJoan Stafford nee Baverstock
December 25, 2008 @ 8:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to the Fane School 1949 leaving at the age of 15, my three children went, Helen, she left in 1976, Robert he left in 1978 - and is hoping to go to the reunion in May, and Sarah she left in 1984.
Both my sisters went there, Sandra and Jane

Andy Matthews
December 26, 2008 @ 2:15 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tim,
I was speaking with my sister Lesley McClarnon (previously Matthews) yesterday who was in your year and I mentioned this site and some of the memories regarding the Fane School.  I mentioned what you had added and some of the questions you had asked.  Lesley remembers the Biology teacher as being Miss Davidson and she also remembers a Mr Marfleet.  But what she did say was that in her memory the teacher nicknamed 'Eddie Shoestring' was a Mr Bray rather than Mr Martin but we cannot remember what Mr Bray taught.  I left the Fane School in July 1981 and can only just remember Mr Bray by sight but was never taught by him.  Mr Marfleet and Miss Davidson hadn't arrived when I left in '81 (I can't remember them anyway).
I forgot to ask Lesley who taught girls PE after Miss Mason but I'll get back on that one.

Richard Campbell
December 26, 2008 @ 8:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Is there a re-union of the Fane School in May...If so could you provide details as I would like to attend. Regards Richard.
Hi Richard.  Yes there is a reunion at the Fane School in May.
I will post details as a separate item for you under Fane School Reunion. Kate.

tim MUSGROVE
December 30, 2008 @ 8:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

yes I remember  Mr Bray he was my first form teacher before we did the tests to see which class you went in ie. 1/1, 1/2. 1/3 and so on

Mr Bray was more like Shoestring than Mr Martin however i know some one who was there earlier and they also called mr martin shoestring.
mr martin, so i am told made deputy head
mr bray did geography in my first year but before that he was an infill teacher

there was a maths? teacher, he had one of the rozla classrooms on there own, the one opposite the woodwork shop , i should remember him as again he was my form teacher in year 3  and the art teacher who took over from mr agnew and i think took graphic design
can leslie help with these names

i was also at bluecoat with your sister

on reunions i think Cath Butcher  did one for our year a few years ago

Joan Stafford
December 30, 2008 @ 8:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Being a lot older than some of the contributors, I went to the Fane School when it was girls only. At Christmas the boys from St. Michael's were invited (made to go) to the Fane school for a dance (square dancing if I remember right)  This was 15 year olds, How we all hated it. We were told "you will enjoy yourselves". Then you left school, and the following week you went to work, that was your school days over!
Kate: Hi Joan.  Yes, "made to go" and told "you will enjoy yourselves" seem to be something I used to hear a lot!  Perhaps it did us good?  Made us do a few things we didn't want to do anyway.

From Janet Cleveland
January 10, 2009 @ 2:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Tim, Nice to read your thoughts. Good memory! I dont know whether Mr. Sim (art teacher) came before Mr. Agnew or after. Also, I think the biology teacher was Mrs. Ridguard (possibly). Do you remember Max Turner. He taught P.E. for a short time and showed us how to trampoline in the hall.He was also a good badminton player and there were a few teachers and pupils used to play after school in the hall as well. It was a wonderful floor. Dad says it was fully sprung i.e. for dancing I think. My Dad is Mr.Cleveland,Woodwork and Metalwork Teacher at Fane for about 30 years I think!!

Dan Entwisle
January 16, 2009 @ 3:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was the maths teacher called Mr Dickens?   Came from Teesside.  I remember him being very narked when someone painted black underseal all over the windows of his portacabin classroom.  He always had it really hot with the heating up full.

Richard Standley
March 6, 2009 @ 4:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Having recently logged on to this site I am adding to the list of praise  for the Fane School.I left the school in 1968 after the most wonderful last three years at the school. We were all so happy and contented and were made to feel as though we really mattered to those in charge of us. We were given freedom ,expected to work and given such a set of values that have always remained with me. So many fine teachers who really cared. Even when I started teaching Miss Cropley came to visit my classroom in Bedfordshire. How was that for care and interest.Well that is all for now .Hope to hear more news!
Does anyone remember the production of The Wisest Fool In Christendom?

Clem Walden
March 7, 2009 @ 2:42 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Joan, I well remember dancing at the Fane School, the St Michael's boys loved it, we had to carry our own chairs from the school all the way up Recreation ground road & along Kings road to the Fane, Mr York one of our teachers would give us a lecture before we left St Michaels about how we must behave, few listened, we were just pleased that we would be joining the Fane school girls, would have to say myself & a friend got caught with a couple of girls we were all smoking in Mr Hunts workshop den, we both got the cane & Mr York asked us why we had not stayed in the hall for the dancing, my friend (who shall remain nameless) said I can't dance sir, & my friend Clem bought some fag's from Frosts on the corner on the way here & asked the girls if they would like to go outside for a smoke,  I got six strokes of the cane he only got four, I still see this friend around the Town today, & remind him about the lie he told that day, when we got to Frosts I held his chair while he went in & purchased the five woodbines, it was he that led me & the girls astray not I, after the smoking issue Mr York stopped me from attending the dancing & also told my friend to keep away from me, he never did we remained good friends & still are, perhaps thats because two weeks after we had both had the cane, he decided to come clean & tell Mr York the truth, he got the cane again for not telling the truth at the time, Mr York called me out of the class "Walden" if you or he had told me the truth at the time I would still have given you both the cane you have received your punishment & I hope you understand when on school visits in school times you are not allowed to smoke, its not important who buy's the fag's but it is important to always tell the truth, I remember saying it was not me that lied Sir, he said you did, by failing to tell me you held the chair for your friend while he went into the shop, never did understand Mr Yorks logic. funny idea of justice I thought.

Richard Campbell
March 7, 2009 @ 1:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Janet,

I was in your Father's metalwork class in the mid 1960's.

I remember his Hillman motor car and the school project car...I believe a Morris 8.

His Wife...your Mother was there also.

I believe that they lived at the bottom of The Drift in 'teachers quarters'

He really took an interest in me and prepared me for a career as an engineer.

Please give him my regards...and thanks.

Richard Campbell.

janet Cleveland
March 22, 2009 @ 12:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Richard, Thanks for your letter regarding Mum and Dad. Mum taught unqualified at the time and then had to go to college when she was in her late 30's to get her teaching qualification. She went to Stoke Rochford near Peterborough and got a distinction in Art. Dad is pleased you remember him and says he remembers you. Where did you train for your career? We wonder what happened to the Morris 8? Did it ever actually go!?

Richard Standley
March 27, 2009 @ 2:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Janet I remember your mum and dad so well. I believe you or your mum used to ask mum about me I think they used to meet when they were having their hair brushed and scrubbed. I think your dad gave up on me not knowing one end of a chisel from another but some things rubbed off.Your mum was always very kind and encouraging. Did they meet at the salon of Miss K Tesh.
Regards Richard.
Kate:  Does anyone else remember the salon of Miss K Tesh?  Quite a cornerstone in its time? what happened to Miss K Tesh?

Richard Campbell
March 28, 2009 @ 6:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Janet,

I trained at Baker Perkins in Peterborough.

The Morris did go but I think found it's way to John Lees scrapyard.

I am pleased that your Father remembers me...I still have some of the things that I made in his metalwork class.

Regards Richard.

Richard Standley
April 2, 2009 @ 10:27 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the introduction of the Upper and Lower Sixth ? I think Miss Yates introduced the system to give us a sense of achievement and to say that we could be anything we wanted to be.
When we went into the lower Sixth I believe it was the largest group to actually stay on in the school. We were  David Weaver, Ian Kirkwood,
Richard Smith was a year younger than we were but he was always with us.There was  Alison,Catherine Finneran Pauline Exton and Janet Smith  and more. Does anyone else come to mind?

phil
April 9, 2009 @ 10:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The fane school was my first school in the late 40s.I lived in Ryhall Road and walked,as we all did to School.The bottom few houses in Lincoln Road were all that were built on the estate,which meant the rest of the journey was over fields to the school.When it was wet my brother and i got covered in mud on the way home,as you do!So my Mum moved us both to St Martins a much further but cleaner trek.

janet cleveland
April 11, 2009 @ 11:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Mr.Cleveland is wondering what projects you still have from his class! He is 82 this year and still building model trains in his "workshop " in the garden.

Patrick
April 21, 2009 @ 8:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ah! You youngsters!
Living in Kings Road I recall the Fane School being built in 1935 or 36
and ,of course, seeing it pulled down a couple of years ago.  I remember Mr.Hunt leaving Blackstones to become the first Caretaker and Mrs. Shaw the first Headmistress.  She lived in the house on the corner of Queen`s Street and  Alexandra Road which she shared with Miss Richardson who taught at the High School. I wonder if there are any early pupils still in Stamford?

Andy Matthews
April 21, 2009 @ 11:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Janet,
I was taught Metalwork and later Engineering by your father during my time at Fane School between 1975 and 1981.  My mother has a small copper dish I made that she still polishes and uses as an ornament with sweets in at Christmas.  We had to use a special hammer to bank out the dish shape.  I also remember around 1976/1977 making a metal boat which I think your father called a 'Pop Pop' Boat - the whole class made one.  I no longer have it and cannot imagine where it would have gone (my mother probably put it out with my old toys etc after I had left home - sacrelige).  I also remember your mother teaching Needlework at the school - a lovely lady.

Andy Downs
April 25, 2009 @ 9:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Ian. Can you remember the Disco`s all them years ago.We used Mr Corby`s " Ten Steps" Disco gear on a Night in the Week. And Most of the classes went. This was the best night of the week.Can anyone else remember these great nights out in the week.

Patrick
May 13, 2009 @ 9:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone know why it was called the `Fane` School.  Is there some local connection?

joan
May 18, 2009 @ 8:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I seem to remember something about Colonel Fane - anyone else remember that.
Kate: Hi Joan, nice to hear from you.  Yes, I thought at the back of my mind something about Colonel Fane.  Anyone else remember the details for us?

Clem Walden
May 19, 2009 @ 2:41 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Joan, perhaps it could be "Colonel George Fane" who was the fifth but fourth surving son of Francis Fane, 1st Earl of Westmorland by his wife, daughter and heir of Sir Anthony Mildmay of Apethorpe Northampton. Fane was an MP, and Captain of the Irish foot regiment. He also had a son Sir Henry Fane KB, not sure about all the history but think it could be the same family, perhaps someone may be able to do some research, interesting subject.
Kate:  Thanks Clem. Any other memories in your mind  lately ?
Always good to hear from you.

Clem Walden
May 20, 2009 @ 3:48 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate I have many memories in my mind most of the time. but at present I am very busy trying to fight my corner in local Government please forgive me for stating this. for one should never mention ones political views or religion on a forum such as this. But I am standing for Lincolnshire County Council on the 4th June 2009 as "independent" my area is Stamford West District. Throughout my life I have loved this Town and the people in it. the question I always ask myself is this: What has politics ever done for Stamford? the answer I firmly believe  is NOTHING. Thats why I am Independent. Kate please forgive me. but having just returned home at 3-15 am on Wednesday morning from a meeting all about the MPs corruption. I felt I needed to express my simple views to all who visit this excellent Gateway Forum. all should know there are still some out here who can never get their wrists slapped or have to tow-party lines. Stamford first and Last for me. Please accept my apologies on this occasion for not scripting more useful information.

John Tyers
May 25, 2009 @ 9:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Recall a local farming gentleman in the fifties who was Lt Col the Hon.Mountjoy-Fane who I remember wore a piratical black eyepatch and seemed a very jovial character!

Richard Standley
June 20, 2009 @ 10:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Joan
I'm pretty sure you were at the Fane at the same time as Brenda Standley and you were great friends, did you both leave the school in 1949.My mother often talked of you both dressing up and playing fashion? We lived near Mrs  Mathews in Radcliffe Road  Can anyone remember the domestic science block. Lots of currants in the pantry. It was almost the standard thing to help oneself I'm sure Mrs Parsons  knew. One year we made thousands of sweets,Honeycombe Toffee to sell for school funds.

joan
June 20, 2009 @ 7:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Richard, Yes I am the same Joan, very good friends with Brenda. I remember your Dad coming home from the war, I was so scared of him, he was such a big soldier.
Yes, we enjoyed dressing up, always could amuse ourselves.
One hot summer (they were always hot) we spent all our time at the open air swimming baths.  Another year it was the tennis court at the Rec. Always out and about,
Yes, also remember cookery at school, I can never make a rice pudding without thinking of the one I made there.  Must have been good.

joan
June 26, 2009 @ 7:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi, Richard. Just reading through again,  I left school in 1953 - and so Brenda must have left in 1952.  
Q.E. (Fane school) have just had their leaving Prom.  What wonderful memories they will have of school, so colourful and exciting, our school days seem to have been grey and serious.  Perhaps I've forgotten the exciting bits, such a long time ago.

Andy Matthews
June 29, 2009 @ 11:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Richard, I read with interest that you used to live near Mrs Matthews on Radcliffe Road.  I guess the Mrs Matthews you mention was my Grandmother who lived at No 50 opposite Garratt's Shop.  My father is Peter Matthews and he also lived there when he was demobbed from the army in 1948 until he married in 1957.  He's 81 now and still often refers to Radcliffe Road as Cemetry Road.  When mum and dad talk about the old days (as they often do) I've heard the name Standley mentioned when they have talked of Radcliffe Road in the 40s/50s and the people who lived there. I think there was also a Mrs Potter somewhere nearby.

Richard
July 1, 2009 @ 3:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Andy, Well where do I begin? We are indeed the people who lived in 52 Radcliffe Road or Cemetry Road.I am so pleased to make contact with you. We were great friends and neighbours of your grand parents. I probably went in to see Mr and Mrs Matthews every day. I remember her so well. A dear lady I can remember Mrs Charity and you had relations in Carlisle and possibly another aunt who was into her ninties when I last saw her in Tesco a short while before mum passed away in 2007. Have only recently been to Stamford revisiting old haunts and went to Radcliffe road.

joan
July 2, 2009 @ 7:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello to Richard and Andy.  I also lived in Radcliffe Road. Behind Garrats shop is a lane and we lived in Beales cottage. My Grandmother also lived two doors away in  Insurance cottages, and she was quite frendly with Mrs.Matthews.  I can remember most of the people who lived around that area.  
When my sister and I had scarlet fever and were confined to the bedroom for 6 weeks, (which overlooked Garrets back yard) Mr. Garret would put a bag of sweets and biscuits on the end of the washing prop and pass them up to us and say "Don't tell the missis"  Then 1/2 hour later Mrs. Garret would do the same "Don't tell him".  Had a weight problem ever since.

Andy Matthews
July 5, 2009 @ 1:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Richard and Joan,
I mentioned to Dad the other day that a Richard Standley had mentioned Gran on this site and he remembers you and your parents very well.  He told me you were a young boy then and you would come into No 50 to see Gran and Grandad.  My mother, who was Iris Walden and going out with dad at the time also remembers you visiting my grandparents when she was there.  By the way, Dad's sister Ruth still lives in Carlisle and comes to stay at least twice a year in Stamford - she is 89 now.  The aunt you would have seen in 2007 must be Dorothy Dixon or Auntie Doff as I know her and she is now 93.  My Aunt Marjorie Charity (later Gesior) passed away in 2003 at the age of 94 and lived at 25 Radcliffe Road in the 1950s.  She actually lived next door but one to another aunt Anne Barratt who had a son Ian who you may remember.  Anne passed away in 1999.  Dad seems to remember that you and your parents moved from Radcliffe Road in around the mid 1950s to New Cross Road.
It was also interesting to read your memories Joan of living in Insurance Cottages.  Did you know that between 1932 and 1942 Mr and Mrs Matthews lived at No 2 Insurance Cottages (that's the house my father grew up in)?  My grandfather also had a sister in Harcourt Terrace named Mrs Culpin.  Other names I have heard Dad and my aunts talk of from those days are Mr and Mrs Darnes, Mr and Mrs Patrick, Mr and Mrs Short, Mrs Potter, Mrs Boyden, Mr and Mrs Middleton.  Dad always speaks so fondly of those days in Radcliffe Road and it always sounds as if there was real community spirit there.

Richard
July 6, 2009 @ 5:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can anyone remember Mrs Gladys Key I know she taught O level English and had a marvellous subject knowledge. Taught in the classroom next to the office she also tought R.E and again really knew her work .I think her husband was the Rev. Key and maybe lived in Bourne. Miss Yates and Miss Cropley and Mrs Key looked after us very well with our studies .Real dedication.

Richard Campbell
July 26, 2009 @ 6:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Mrs Key....or was it Keyes. was in her class. Very nice person.

I believe that she lived in Stamford, in a Manse...her husband was a Methodist, Baptist or Chapel minister. I have the feeling that the Manse was somewhere near the Rec.

Mrs Cropley was great.....maths and history.

Never took to Miss Yates...don't know why.

Anybody remember Miss Ward?....she was the music teacher.

Richard Campbell.

Richard
July 27, 2009 @ 5:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Richard I do remember Miss Ward very well. She taught music and I took some Viola lessons with her. Unfortunately she had to give up  I'm not sure if Miss Ward was unwell or she had to look after her mother. She lived very close to the school in one of the terraced houses. Would you also have a memory of Miss Ida Deer, she lived in Great Casterton and her father was an Alderman and I believe he was given the freedom of Stamford. Miss Deer taught RE and in the 6th form she allowed us to use her car for small trips, how modern was that(or perhaps fool hardy) We were so lucky to know such people and very grateful for their trust.

diane heyden
August 13, 2009 @ 8:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi janet you were in the same class as me at the fane we were in delta my name then was diane vellam.also teachers there  mrs smith sewing mrs cassidy english mr wilmot p.e.

Richard Campbell
August 15, 2009 @ 5:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Miss Ward very well....I used to go to her house for clarinet lessons.....bet you could not do that now!.

I can vaguely remeber Miss Deer....but not borrowing her car...I was there from 1961 to 1965...prhaps you were later....and more responsible.

There was also Mr Dawn...Science and Mr Kerwin... Art.

The school dinners were served in a hut...sorry canteen ....at the opposite end of the site to the main gate and adjacent to a small pedestrian gate in the fence near the smoking shelter....sorry bike sheds.

I believe food was prepared there for other schools as well and distributed by van.

Used to play badminton in the hall at lunch time with Mr James...PE.

Jan Matthews/Cleveland
August 16, 2009 @ 2:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Diane, I remember you in class. Were you in Cropleys class? Or Mr. Masseys. I remember doing R.k. with mrs. Kee - great teacher and so kind. My friends were Linda Newland,Anne Hutton,Fiona Spence and Colin Ford;other names escape me but I visualise faces in my memory banks.

Richard S
August 17, 2009 @ 4:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Janet, Do you know if Diane Spence had an older sister called Wendy as we were all in the sixth form together and an Alison I think Harding? When I was in Italy with a group of children we took on a school trip I was very surprised to see Mr Massey with his wife and I believe a small group of children from the Fane School on the Amalfie Coast. It was rather good that he recognised me and I him. This was some time after we had left the school and I was teaching. It really is a small world.

Mark
August 22, 2009 @ 12:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone have any details on a school reunion on or around the 19th September this year? I left in 1974

Jan Matthews nee Cleveland
August 22, 2009 @ 10:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Richard, I remember that Wendy had a sister Fiona, my friend and and also a brother Paul. They lived out of town for some time and then moved to Casterton Road I think. Not far from where we lived at that time. I have many fleeting memories of then. What agreat school that was and sad to see it go...

Martin Smith
November 30, 2009 @ 4:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Great memories,
I also was at the school from 1962 until 1968 and remember Richard Smith, he was in my year.
And sitting out in the corridor, being a prefect etc etc.
My only claim to fame was in running, I won the cross country a couple of times and the 800 and mile races at sports day. Also remember most of the teachers at the time, especially Mr Cleveland who used to get very upset when I drove the tool in the lathe into the chuck!! in metalwork.
Happy days!

Richard Standley
February 7, 2010 @ 10:07 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Jan, I wonder if anyone can remember the efforts that were made to create a 6th form room down in the Cellar outside the main toilets on the girls side. There was a red door always locked until Miss Yates thought it would be a good place to have a 6th form room. There was a ladder made of iron and if I remember not at all appropriate for exits and entrances. It followed that another entrance had to be made which involved digging out a passage on the other side of the building. I remember Mr Cleveland thought it a really bad idea and tried his best to persuade Miss Yates to think again! What a mistake it was dug out anyway. I'm sure it was only used for a short time as in the end it was thought most unsuitable. Any memories!

Jan
February 8, 2010 @ 11:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes,I remember the cellar! Not one of her best ideas although I know she had some very good ones too. Like saving the 6th form and she was up against opposition in the town for her ideas. The old art room became a 6th form study room'  Those 'cubicles' made of heavy beige curtains incited fear for us youngsters.  We used to creep past them hoping not to upset you all whilst you studied for your exams... we aspired to those cubicles as we thought you were the bees knees...well I did anyway.

Lydia Benton
August 21, 2010 @ 8:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi i remember a lot of things about fane , the swimming pool being really freezing but fun .Dose anyone remember the discos we used to have and what it was called , i can .
Hi Lydia.  Thanks for this.  Hope you will post some more memories. Kate

Christine
September 14, 2011 @ 9:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Richard,
Miss Ida Deer was my Great Aunt. I never met her, but your remarks about her have brought her a bit more to life for me. You are the second person to have found her a bit if an inspiration as a teacher. I've spent the last couple of days in Stamford searching out places and people connected with the Deer family. What a beautiful town and such friendly people.
Christine

Lynda
September 19, 2011 @ 8:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I left in 1967.  I also went to the infants school at the Fane and the year I left to go to All Saints was the year the infant department closed.  I remember most of the teacher you have mentioned, Mr McGregor was our maths teacher in the first year, Miss Essex taught french.  I had to do woodwork too and Mr Cleveland was our teacher, I remember after giving us instructions he would say 'Is that quite clear to you lot'.  Mrs Parsons taught cookery.
Hi Lynda. Thanks for adding to the memories.K

Keith Hansell
September 19, 2011 @ 10:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I too left in 1967, being one day younger than Lynda. Also Christine I can vouch that Miss Dear was a lovely lady, who I got on very well with. One teacher that has not been mentioned was a Mr Newell, who taught PE. For the life of me I cant remember our last PE teacher, other than he was small, wore a blue track suit, ex army and a bit bombastic. Sent us out running in all weathers, rain, shine, summer and winter. The cross country was run across woollys fields, at the rear of the school, who tried to prevent us from doing it. Even to the point of  trying  to  block our path by running the tractor and plough backwards and forwards across the entrance.
I didnt know till reading this thread that a swimming pool existed at the school. Many a school fete was held to try and obtain one but to no avail in our time.

Richard Standley
September 22, 2011 @ 4:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Christine,I hope you had a really lovely visit to Stamford
we go quite often.Really pleased you have made a connection with your
great aunt.She was a tall lady with a tight bun at the back
of her head and always very smart and well dressed. When we walked
through Great Casterton she was at times in her garden and we remember being invited in for a drink and a biscuit and to see the wonderful box and scroll for Alderman Deer. She was very proud of that.

Keith Hansell
September 26, 2011 @ 8:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just remembered the name of our last PE teacher, Mr Turner.

phil
September 27, 2011 @ 11:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Christine,My brother told me that Ida was a Lay Preacher for the Barn Hill Methodist Circuit.When he wanted to do the same,he had a chap called Tom Ried Take him around the Churches whilst he trained.One Sunday they went to Casterton and Tom said to my brother bring your swimming costume as we will be going to Ida's after the service for lunch and a swim in her pool.This was in the 60's.Regards Phil

Lynda
September 30, 2011 @ 10:15 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes I remember Mr Turner, and the girls PE teacher was Miss Heath.  I also remember the art teacher,I think his name was Mr Curnew or something like that.  Miss Cropley taught us maths, she was quite strict but on the whole a very good teacher

Sandra
October 5, 2011 @ 12:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I attended Fane School 1964-68 I travelled in by bus (Smiths Coaches) I lived in Witham -On- The Hill. Best days of my life, good school, teachers and friends. Miss Yates bit scary tho. Mr. Simm was my art teacher, and Miss Deer fab lady.
Thanks for that Sandra. I am sure  other Fane 60's members  will like your posting - esp. being those "best days".  We all know that's true when we look back - we were so lucky!

Janet Kirkwood nee Smith
May 1, 2012 @ 3:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Richard
Our son came across this forum and I'm so pleased he did. I left in 1967 and went to Lincoln College of Art as you know. Then moved to London Hammersmith College of Art to do a fashion and textile course. Later married Ian (Head boy) in 1973 and moved from London to Witham on the Hill where we have lived for 37 years. It was my father who used to run the school bus that came through Witham on the Hill to pick up Fane School and Exeter School children including Linda Lock. I started the school in Taffy Jones class next to the Cookery room.
The sixth form group had some great times together - yes I remember creating the cellar for our sixth form room, and I was the one who made all of the cubical curtains along the top corridor under the excellent tuition of Mrs Cleveland. She was great and got me through A level needlework. I also remember some certain members of the sixth form tying me up on my birthday and leaving me outside the staff room near the main hall!! There used to be a sixth form room near the hall at some point too. Not sure how long for though. Some sixth form members we still see, Wendy Spence lives in Corby Glen, she has a sister Fiona Spence who was at the Fane, Catherine Weaver nee Finneran and David Weaver - David works at a publishing company in Bourne as I do, Richard Smith married Brenda who now live back in Stamford, would you believe in Richard's old house - happy memories there! Alison Harring not sure where she is now, Pauline Exton I think she lives in the Glinton area near Peterborough. We use to borrow Miss Deer's car to go into town, she was lovely, Mrs Key next door to Miss Yate's office then the science lab and Mr Dawn. I loved the sports lessons captain of the hockey and netball - we had to walk in all weathers up to the playing fields that are now the site of the Queen Eleanor school. Can't remember the PE teacher though only Mr Turner.
Look forward to replying more.
Janet Kirkwood

janet Kirkwood nee Smith
May 1, 2012 @ 3:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Sandra

It was my dad's bus that used to pick you up outside the Village Hall in Witham on the Hill. I remember it so well.
Janet Kirkwood

Richard Standley
May 2, 2012 @ 6:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Janet, really pleased you have discovered the Fane Gateway.
I have been waiting for a reply from one of my entries especially the entry on April 2nd 2009. I thought you might be out there and well done the son for his discoveries. I had been wondering what had happened to you all and would like to hear more. perhaps you may be able to have my e-mail address from Kate. Really lovely to hear some news and our good old days at the Fane. What times we had! Did we really tie you up? Health and Safety what's that?

SANDRA BROWN (LOCK)
May 4, 2012 @ 2:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

HI JANET YOU WILL KNOW WHO I AM IF I TELL YOU, THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LIVE IN MY OLD COTTAGE THAT MY SISTER ANNE AND I GREW UP IN AT WITHAM ON THE HILL. THIS IS A GOOD SITE ITS GOOD TO BE ABLE TO CATCH UP ON SCHOOL DAYS.

kathy
July 4, 2014 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi Richard ..remember me from stamford hotel...mum was doreen ( Kathy Milne)

Dianne Vine
September 5, 2014 @ 5:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Did Miss Deer's family own and rent out houses in Reform street, in particular number 41 to a family called Barwell?

Roger Partridge
September 6, 2014 @ 8:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I know the Pond family who lived near the Drum and Monkey on Casterton Rd owned several houses in Reform St in the 1950s. I remember there was a family called Barwell who lived in Zebra Cottages in 1950s to at least 1970s but don't remember if there was a Barwell family in Reform St.

David Farman
May 26, 2015 @ 9:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Going back to the Fane school, I remember Miss Waites, she was our music teacher she always insisted on singing in class, I'm sure she emigrated to New Zealand around about 1964 . The was also Miss Essex who taught French, the worst place you could sit was at the front of the class because you always finished up getting a shower as she spoke, if you know what I mean, !! Memories !!

Les Edwards
December 2, 2016 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I left Fane in 1980 . Mr . Marfleet was my form teacher in my final year as i recall . I have a lot of fond memories of those days , remember a lot of people .

Colin Fowler
January 25, 2017 @ 9:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi
I have just found this while researching some photos of Stamford in the 1960s.  I was at the Fane School in 1961 to 1969 and well remember many memories from those days. I was taught after school by Bill Cleveland and went on to teach woodwork from which I have just retired.

James (Jim) Short
June 8, 2017 @ 6:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just spotted this site when looking for details about an aircraft crash in 1938. I was at the Fane from 1960-1965. Alan Curzon was the art teacher Alan Dawn taught me science and tech drawing. He also got me interested in match fishing and I won the Stamford Welland Junior Championship in 1964, I still have the trophy in the loft. Other staff member I remember ar Mrs Parsons cookery, Taffy Jones RE Miss Cropley history maths, Bill Cleveland woodwork my favourite subject, Mrs Key, Mr Taylor who got me into Stamford Town Band, Ida Deer, and who could forget Alice Essex for geometry and French and spitting from the blackboard. Classmates included Paul Barnett, Colin Waldren, David Johnson, Geoff Lawson Mick Dolby, Rachel Claydon, Janice Edinborough, Helen Mountain Maggie Betts and now my memory has gone.
I am still into woodwork and I still go fishing so thanks to Bill and Alan for that.
I also think I know Richard Campbell, I think we formed a short lived band and practised in the Town Band rehearsal rooms. Does anyone remember Quincentenary. Year 1961? The school band dressed up as Town Waits and played 500 year old tunes

Angela Harris was Pick
July 25, 2017 @ 12:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was at Fane the same time as you and was only this morning saying I was there when Fane became Queen Eleanor, can you recall what year this was?  I also remember Miss Barwell for History and RE and Mrs Archer for Cooking.

Helena Cutforth nee Cunnington
July 27, 2017 @ 11:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Miss Yates had a moggie (Morris) car and her little dog was called Bella. I attended the Game School late 50's early 60's. My sister Judith attended there too.

Linda
September 10, 2017 @ 1:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Sandra not sure if you will remember me I lived at with am on the hill we spent a lot of time together I lived in home farm cottage opposite the school this was in the 60s  I have not been to with am for many years now wondering if you are still there and if it has changed at all ..kind regards Linda nee Melton..

Linda
September 10, 2017 @ 1:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Janet you probably don't remember me I used to get picked up by your dad's school bus we waited by the old school house in with am on the hill back in the 60s I remember you always say in the front seat..

Richard Campbell
October 2, 2017 @ 4:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember you too and our very short lived band. I remember the the names you mentioned as well. I had a 'thing' going with Helen Mountain for a short while but my earlier girlfriend was Marianne Coverley....she was one of those that came in by bus from the villages.

Was in Stamford last week......what memories.

Sally Freestone
February 21, 2018 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I found this thread whilst searching for information about The Fane School. I’m writing an article about the School and it’s history and would like very much to speak with one or two people who were pupils, or worked there. Would you or anyone else on the forum be willing to have a brief chat with me about your schooldays?  Many thanks.