Miss Elsie Yates Fane School Headteacher 1953 - 1976

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Miss Elsie Yates Fane School Headteacher 1953 - 1976
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date January 30, 2006 @ 6:00 AM
 RE: Miss Elsie Yates Fane School Headteacher 1953 - 1976
  Elsie Yates/high heels

Kate
January 30, 2006 @ 6:00 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Miss Elsie Yates died 12 January 2006  in Chipping Norton aged 91 years.Miss Yates lived at Tallington whilst she was Headteacher at Fane School and was known in the area as a breeder of Siamese cats.

Vernon
September 28, 2007 @ 11:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

What a great lady she was. She was a Quaker, I believe, with strong convictions and a stronger character.. We lived in fear of her turning up in the classroom, she could shut the lot of us up without uttering a word - she was a tiny lady. I wish there were more like her in schools now.

David Sheehan
November 22, 2010 @ 5:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes I remember her well.We called her Aggie Yates.She was well respected(feared)LOL.

Syd Goodwin
July 15, 2012 @ 5:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi I was at the Fane school from 1961 to 1965 and Miss Yates as we had to call her was our Head Teacher, I am not too sure but I think we may have been the first intake of boys. I always had the feeling that she was not too sure of how to deal with us rowdy boys. I called into the old School location a good few years ago only to see that it was being demolished.I had a few hard times there but the good out way the bad.
Regards Syd

Clem Walden
July 21, 2012 @ 1:06 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, I have fond memories of Miss Elsie Yates as head of the fane school 1953 but my memories recall the changes that took place during that period; Perhaps this could be a new topic? Does anyone out there remember when the word TEENAGER was first INVENTED? Prior to 1953 you were either a school child or an adult; You left school at 14 or 15 this obviously depending on when your birthday fell and the various dates of school holidays; I actually left school when I was 14 [Christmas school holidays] I became 15 that December; when I left school I became known as an adult not a "TEENAGER" in those days on leaving school you wore the same style of clothing as your parents wore; But this soon changed and TEENAGERS were BORN; Before then the word TEENAGER had never been invented [so I believe] You simply were either a school child or on leaving school an adult; But good old Rock and Roll changed all that; Teenagers were invented; teddy boys; new clothing styles; new dances; just wonder how many out there remember when they first  heard the word TEENAGER? for me it was 1953; Great days fond memories.
Hi Clem.  Anyone else have memories of going straight into being an "ADULT"?
Life was a bit tough then - no lolling about - straight into work and being used as goffers by  the grown-ups. K

betty
August 1, 2012 @ 8:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I like Clem can remember becoming an Adult, it was leaving school in 1956 and going to work in the Offices at Blackstones.
You know you became an Adult because that was the time when you stopped wearing socks and began wearing nylons and high heel shoes. 
If you were lucky you were allowed to go dancing at the Drill Hall