Ben Reedman

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Ben Reedman
Topic Originator: Paul Reedman
Post Date March 25, 2006 @ 10:16 AM
 Ben Reedman
 RE: Ben Reedman
 45 Broad Street
 RE: Scotneys
  Ben Reedman/reunion 2011
 Ben REEDMAN/mssge Linda Duncan
 REEDMAN 45 Broad Street
 Ben REEDMAN mssge for Patrick
 Ben Reedman Who Traded Where
 Ben REEDMAN/mssge for Linda
  Ben Reedman/Kim Reedman

Paul Reedman
March 25, 2006 @ 10:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I'm trying to see if anyone has any information on my great great grandfather Benjamin Reedman. He lived between 1852 and 1933 and was a well established member of the community running his own pub on Blackfriars Street, being a baliff and later on being town councillor. If anyone has any info at all please contact me. Thanks Paul Reedman
Kate:  Any help out there for Paul?

Kate
March 28, 2006 @ 7:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

see John Freear's posting under Stamford pubs

Kate
April 5, 2006 @ 6:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Paul decided to visit Stamford this week and the following is a resume of his activities in the pursuit of information about his ancestors.
Hopefully it will appear in The Stamford Mercury when they have some space.

TIME TRAVELLER: PAUL REEDMAN

Paul, a sports statistician (aged 30) from Howden, East Yorkshire, contacted Stamford Memories Gateway a few weeks ago. He knew his ancestors came from Stamford and found the website on Google.  Paul wanted to look up the places where his family had lived and worked. First of all he visited Stamford Cemetery and with the help of Steve and Warren at the Cemetery Lodge he found several gravestones and gravespaces of his ancestors. His next stop was Broad Street and on his way to Stamford Museum he called in at Vaughan's Antique Shop at No. 45 which in the late 19th century was called Reedman, Son & Mason and was run by by his ggggrandfather John Reedman and his gggrandfather Benjamin Reedman.
Once at Stamford Museum Paul found some very knowledgeable helpers and on returning there after his picnic lunch, he saw they had found "a whole treasure trove of Reedman stuff in a huge pile" Newspaper cuttings, photographs etc , taking him back to the time his ancestors spent in Stamford but also to 3 other researchers into the family in England and a further distant relation who emigrated to Canada. Paul says "I couldn't believe it, I was so excited I was literally shaking".
Paul's family had also run an off-licence at 9 Blackfriars Street called G.N Refreshment Rooms, Beerhouse & Refreshment Room.
The Reedmans were a prominent family in the town. Benjamin Reedman, and later Ben's son Herbert Reedman   owned the Antique Shop, Reedman,Son & Mason, Auctioneers, Estate Agents and Furniture Brokers. The premises were rebuilt in 1903. Auctions were held at OddFellows Hall. Benjamin also became a town councillor in 1919.
Paul said  "This was a great day and I couldn't believe that everyone I spoke to in Stamford was so helpful. It makes me proud to think my family originated from such a great and friendly town like Stamford. I shall definitely be coming back some time in the summer".

Why don't you become a "Time Traveller"? much of the work can be done on the internet and if you feel like following up the work with a trip away to the actual locations, you may be as lucky as Paul. Whatever you find out, you will be sure to enjoy your visit to Stamford.

www.ancestorgateway.com
email address   kate@ancestorgateway.com

Paul Reedman
April 10, 2006 @ 4:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've recently found out that Ben's brother John emigrated to British Columbia in Canada in 1905 where he had several children. They are all buried in the local cemetery out there.
Another thing I've done in my research is write to the people whose names I found in Stamford museum. I got a phone call from a Rose Reedman, who I wrote to, from Stamford today. She's quite an elderly  lady at 80 but it was great speaking to her. She directed me to another member of her family Brian who she said had done his own family tree. Had a good chat with him on the phone and remember seeing his picture in the Stamford Mercury newspaper archive that I saw in the museum. He had been quite a successful cricketer in the 60's for the local team. We had a good chat on the phone with him mentioning his 102 not out. After all that I found out he wasn't directly linked to my tree. Anyway is was good speaking to Rose and Brian. Rose even asked me to pop round for a cuppa. Bless her.
Kate: Thanks Paul.Update when you get news - as local people would like to know.

Paul Reedman
April 16, 2006 @ 2:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Well I've certainly been busy recently. My letter to the editor at lakeshore News newspapwer in British Columbia went in the paper on wednesday asking about John Reedman and if any relatives are still around the area. Since then I have been inundated with emails. I have even been contacted by a distant cousin who has asked me to go over to Canada. Can't wait. Another great bit of news I got was from a local historian in Blind Bay, Canada (where they emigrated to)who told me that there is a place called Reedman point  named after all the reedmans who emigrated from Stamford. I'm told they pioneered Blind Bay and made it what it is today. So there you go my relatives emigrated from Stamford and got a whole place named after them.
Kate: Contratulations Paul!  I hope that trip to Canada materialises.  It would be great to see the places where  your ancestors settled.  Look forward to more updates.

Paul Reedman
April 17, 2006 @ 11:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Got an email from my distant cousin in Canada and she told me there is a book called in "in those days" that tells the story of John Reedman from Stamford who emigrated to Canada and pioneered Blind Bay. She's sending me a copy in the post. Also it was Blind Bay's 100th aniversary last year in memeory of the Reedmans. Here is an extract from one of the papers:

Reedman clan to gather

Salmon Arm Observer, Friday, Jul 29, 2005

An historical photograph shows John Reedman with his sons Stan, Eric, Archie, Harry, Len, John holding Jack, Roy and Arthur.  

Many place names in the Shuswap hearken back to early settlers in the area, such as the Reedman family, whose ties to Blind Bay go back 100 years.

Descendants of pioneer John Reedman are coming together to celebrate at Blind Bay Hall this Sunday, July 31.

John's two remaining children, daughters Kathleen Goss (92) and Marjory May (94), live in Salmon Arm and will be participating in the festivities.

"The reunion will be tiring but something to think back on," says Marjory, who will be meeting many of her great nieces and nephews for the first time. Although there have been get-togethers in the past for anniversaries and birthdays, this will be the first time such a large gathering has taken place. There are 95 people attending from Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Enderby, Salmon Arm, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Washington State and California.

As part of the reunion, organizers have arranged for a tour of the various historical sites and also have made copies of the family tree available.

A shared history is what binds these people to each other and family details and remembrances have been documented by the late Isabelle Reedman in a book entitled "In Those Days."

John, born in 1855 to an old, established English family in Stamford, England, had been twice widowed before his marriage in 1902 to Florence Harriet Cave, his housekeeper and 26 years his junior.

In 1905, when John was 50 years old, the family immigrated to Canada, homesteading in Blind Bay. John's son Len became the first white baby born in the area, coming into the world in trapper Billy Henstridge's cabin by the lake, known at the time as "trapper's landing" and now Sorrento.

Goods had to be transported by raft from Sorrento to Blind Bay as there were no roads, only trails. Some winters were extremely cold with temperatures falling to minus 32 degrees Fahrenheit. However, when the lake froze over, skating was a fun pastime. Marjory says she remembers skating as far as Celista.

The first Blind Bay hall became the hub of activity for the close knit community with many work bees, parties, dances and picnics on the beach.

In 1907, John built a store facing the lake and it was used as both a store and a post office up until 1981.

When a school was established in Sorrento, the Reedman children hiked the six miles by logging trail or rode horseback in good weather. By 1913, enough settlers had arrived that a school was built in Blind Bay.

John suffered a stroke on Oct. 4, 1930 and lay in a coma for 21 days before he died on Oct. 25. Florence picked up the pieces and carried on, becoming the postmistress of Blind Bay until a heart attack forced her retirement in 1944. After that, she spent summers at Shuswap Lake with son Jack and winters in Vernon with daughter Kathleen. She suffered increasingly from arthritis and Isabelle writes that at age 87 Florence's "beloved Shuswap whispered and beckoned. Oct. 4, 1968, she walked painfully, purposefully into its loving arms."

As well as three sons from his first marriage, John and Florence had eight children - George, Jack (who died in infancy), Leonard, Arthur, Roy, Florence Marjory, Kathleen and Jack, the youngest born in 1920 on the train going to Salmon Arm. Jack passed away in 2003 and his widow still lives in the Blind Bay/Eagle Bay area.

Exciting times lay ahead. I'll update when I get more news
Kate:  Well Paul, I should think you are glad you started on your Stamford connection!  Keep researching.

Paul Reedman
April 25, 2006 @ 10:10 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've got the book "in those days". What a cracking book. It explains about John Reedman going to Canada from Stamford. I've found out about a few other things In Stamford that I never knew about. According to the book it says there was a Reedman house called "Reedmans court" that was situated off St Georges Square. If anyone knows if it's still there or is called something different please let me know. The original antiques business was also situated around St Georges square before moving to Broad Street. Also in the book it says the Reedman antiques business on Broad Street was torn down in the forties to make way for a cinema. Again if anyone can claify this please let me know. They used to live in a "Stanley house" on Stanley Street. If that is still there let me know. Will update some more soon
Kate: Thanks for this Paul.  Very interesting.  Does anyone have any information about Reedmans Court off St George's square or Stanley House on Stanley Street?

Paul Reedman
May 20, 2006 @ 8:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My family's old business Reedmans antiques was at 45 Broad Street for many years I wondered if anyone out there knows what it has been called since and has date ranges. If anyone can give me info say from the 1930's up to present day that would be great.
Kate: Can anyone help Paul?

judith reedman
July 30, 2007 @ 6:24 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i enjoyed reading this about blind bay.
i am a G grand daughter of thomas reedman and susan swan who sailed to australia in 1986 with 10 children.  i hope to go to blind bay in july /august 2008. i am looking now. i hope to find some twigs from the reedman tree.

Kate:  How exciting Judith!  So glad you found all the postings about Ben Reedman on Stamford Memories.  I will email Paul as I am sure he will want to know about your travels.  Please keep in touch and update us.  Thanks. K

Paul Reedman
July 30, 2007 @ 10:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Judith
I have the family tree that links all the Reedmans in Canada, England and Australia. If you would like a copy let me know and I'll send it to you. Be warned though there are over 700 names in it so it's rather big. Do you know Judy Reedman from Mackay, Queensland (who I'm related to a long way down the line). I keep in contact with her a lot and she is related to you
Look forward to hearing from you
Paul

Andrew Matthews
December 29, 2007 @ 11:34 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am interested to see these articles on the Reedman family. My Great Grandmother's sister married a Reedman of Stamford probably between 1900 and 1910. I know she had a son and he eventually went into the Coldstream Guards but my grandmother's generation lost touch. My great grandmother's sister's maiden name was Nellie Scotney and she came from Kings Cliffe, a few miles out of Stamford. She married a Reedman and they lived on Water Street in Stamford.  The story past down is that Nellie and her husband had an unhappy and short married life together. The strain of the marriage (which I am told had some domestic violence) resulted in Nellie entering a Sanitorium from which she never came out and she died quite young. This is a story passed down which no one now has been able to confirm. I recently put together a family tree of the Scotneys with my nephew but the Reedman connection is hazy and we do not have details of which Reedman Nellie married or when she died. I know she was born around 1882 so her husband may well be connected to the Reedmans who emigrated to Australia in 1886. They could have been Aunt & Uncle to Nellie's husband. It would be great to hear if you could confirm a connection here.
Kate: Hello Andrew.  Hope someone from the Reedman family can help. Paul Reedman has researched the Reedmans and has visited Stamford during his research.  Have a look under Ben Reedman on Stamford Memories Gateway (also on the site).

Paul Reedman
December 31, 2007 @ 6:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Andrew
Indeed this looks like a tricky one. Have found a Nellie Scotney on Ancestry who's birth was registered in Oundle in 1886. She married an Arthur Edward Giddings in 1904 but have found no Reedman. Don't know if this is your Nellie or not. Sounds like your one had a very tricky life indeed. Will keep looking for you and let you know if I find anything. Have a good New year. Paul

Andrew Matthews
December 31, 2007 @ 7:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Paul, thank you so much for coming back on this one. What you have discovered is very interesting. The Giddings were a big family of Kings Cliffe and still are to this day. That is the village where the Scotney family lived and I had put Nellie's date of birth as 1882 when in fact it was 1886. So I'm now thinking that the information passed down over the years may have become muddled and in fact it was a Giddings she married and not a Reedman. I will be seeing my mother tomorrow and telling her what you have found - this may trigger some memory for her but I'll let you know. This could also explain why I haven't been able to link the Scotneys with th Reedmans in my research. Regards, Andrew.

Harry Scotney
May 15, 2008 @ 8:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Goodaye Mate,

I am interested in any Scotney family tree that I can research and connect to my family. My ancestors were John Scotney and Elizabeth nee Strickland born mid  1700s.Children  Benjamin ,sara,James,all born in the 1770s.Any links would be appreciated.

Regards

Harry
Kate: Hi Harry.  Any Scotneys out there for Harry?

Judy Wilson
May 24, 2008 @ 7:45 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Paul, my husband, Keith, is a descendant of William Reedman/Amey Smith King; Thomas Robert Reedman/Susan Swan (Thomas and Susan migrated to Australia); and so forth.  I spent a month in BC last year.  Most of the towns mentioned in the messages I visited with my friends who live in Maple Ridge.  Such a pity that I only started doing family research this year.  The Reedman's were certainly big breeders.  I may have sone info on some of the Australian descendants if you would like.
Regards
Judy Wilson

Paul Reedman
May 25, 2008 @ 5:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Judy. Have got a load of stuff on the Aussies thanks. Judy Parry (nee Reedman) who I've kept in touch with is coming over from Australia in a couple weeks so am meeting up with her to show a few sights.
Thanks anyway
Paul

Judy Wilson
May 30, 2008 @ 5:16 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Paul, thank you for response.  Do you have information on any of the following Reedmans:
Eliza - born abt 1836;  Martha - b abt 1838;  John - b abt 1840;  William - b. abt 1843
I have lots of gaps in my tree and would love to complete each 'limb'
Kind regards
Judy

Paul Reedman
May 31, 2008 @ 12:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Judy, I sure do. Eliza Reedman b 1836. Parents are William Reedman b 1801 and Amey Smith King. Eliza married William Snow. Martha b 1838 same parents married Thomas Wood. John b 1840 married Ellen. I know all about John as I've done loads of research on him as on the 1901 census he lived about 5 mins from my house in Howden, East Yorkshire. He was a gamekeeper in Skelton and have seen his old house which is now deralict. His granddaughter Dorothy only died a few years ago in a care home round the corner aged a good old 93 (I think). Sadly I only found out about her last year after she had died. I have all the rest you've asked for and have got the tree going back to the 1500's. Your line of the family links up with mine around the 1600's. If you let me know your email address I can send you the pdf that has everyone on it. Be prepared though as there are over 800 names on it!!! Look forward to hearing from you soon. Love Paul x

Judy Wilson
June 1, 2008 @ 5:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Paul, thank you so much for that information.  I do have an email address you can send to me - judywilson24@bigpond.com - with all those names you may have to send it to me in a number of batches.  Since starting this venture I have become quite hooked and spend as much time as possible trying to put 'the tree' in order.  Last year, I had a whole month in BC Canada and my friends who live in Maple Ridge took me to places where the Reedmans settled.  Such a shame I hadn't started this a couple of year's ago.
Cheers
Judy

judy parry was reedman
June 13, 2008 @ 8:42 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi everyone

i am now in UK onholidays.
i am looking forward to catchin up with paul in person.

judy parry was reedman

Kate:  Thanks Judy.  Hope you enjoy your break in the UK and that you make some useful REEDMAN connections.  Best wishes with your on-going research.

Catrin May
September 4, 2008 @ 4:01 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Paul and everyone,

I've just discovered this site and find it fascinating. My grandmother was Pearl Cecilia Reedman born in Rangoon in Burma and her father Frederick Charles Reedman came from West End Hampstead, Middlesex, England and was born in 1878. His father was William Reedman born in 1850 in Southorpe, Northamptonshire, and his father was John Reedman born in 1818 also in Southorpe, Northamptonshire. I've not been able to trace back any further and was hoping that there might be some link in a family tree out there. I would love to hear from anyone about this chain of the Reedman family.

Thanks.

Catrin May

Paul Reedman
September 5, 2008 @ 11:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello catrin. I'm afraid I don't have any details about that side of the family as it looks like a new line to me but there were a load of Reedmans that were born in Southorpe with some emigrating to Australia as Judy has mentioned in previous posts. Judy may have some info for you as I'm sure she has more research on the Southorpe Reedmans. Good luck in your research. Paul

JANET REEDMAN
November 19, 2008 @ 11:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Paul, I have been trying to find a contact for you, but the email I had bounced. Just found this thread and see you are still researching the family.
  I'm Janet Reedman,& my dad was Courtney Reedman--the son of Stanley who was one of John Reedman's 3 sons by his first wife Lucy Ann Grey,and who came with him from Stamford to settle in the Shuswap area.
     So that means you & I share a common ancestor in John,who is my great grandfather.
   Reedman's court and Stanley house are both still standing (and marked)in Stamford. The first is an interesting medieval stone house off st george's square. stanley house is a large Victorian residence just outside the old medieval boundary wall.
   I was born in Canada but have lived in the UK since 1992 (my dad  married an English girl during WWII) but have a brother and sister still living in canada. Funnily enough, my brother's name is Paul, too.

Paul Reedman
November 21, 2008 @ 9:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Janet sorry I didn't reply sooner as I've been working. My email is paul.reedman@yahoo.com if you need to contact me directly.
It's great to hear from you. I've been to Stamford a few times now and have visited Stanley house and Reedman court. I took my dad only a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. I found out another interesting thing on my visit as well. My gg grandad Ben lived at a place called Westview Terrace back in the day and was trying to find out what it is called today. After doing some digging around I found out that today it is called Kings Road up near Recreation Road. Another strange thing I found when updating my family tree was my g grandad Herbert lived on Kings Road at a later date. I thought that Ben and Herbert lived at different addresses but it turns it is one and the same house. Ben must have sold/gave the house to Herbert later in his life to move to Casterton Road.
Anyway Janet sorry for me waffling on. I keep in contact with a few people on the Canada side. I keep in contact with Janice Goll nee MacArthur a lot and Heather Reedman.
Let us know where in the UK you live and maybe we can meet up.
Look forward to hearing from you soon
Paul
PS you're brothers got a great name. haha

Judy Wilson
October 22, 2009 @ 1:13 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Janet, I am an Australian connection to the Reedman family.  Thanks to Paul and a few others I have found lots of descendants of Ben.  A number of descendants live in Queensland and South Australia.  I believe someone is trying to organise a reunion of descendants in Maryborough Queensland in December 2011 for interested family descendants.

If you would like to contact me feel free to do so at my email address.

Linda Duncan
December 28, 2009 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am a great granddaughter of Thomas Reedman and Susan Swan who sailed to Australia in 1886 and they had 10 children one of which was Martha my grandmother who married into the Spencer family tree. Spencer was my mother's maiden name. My mother married twice as she lost her first husband with the married name of Gage and then married my father with the surname of Gallagher and now I am a Duncan surname.  I have a very old photo dating back to 1913 with all the family of the Reedman's with their wives and husbands which makes a total of 20 with Susan and Thomas Reedman the parents in the photo as well. Their children are all quite mature in the photo.  Also there is 4 infants in the photo sitting down in front of the parents from ages 1-3 years old.  There is also the names of Kemp, Matthews and Ahern.  I am now 53 and my father was born in 1912 and my mother was born in 1925 and they have both passed away.  If this relates to anyone please reply

Patrick
December 28, 2009 @ 8:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

45 Broad Street
Ken Ford in his book `Who Traded Where` writes:
`John Reedman, an Auctioneer, Valuer and Broker established his business here in the 1870s. The family continued trading here into the 1930s. The propert then became a furniture shop, Parrishes and later Perrys, and then `Vaughan`s Antique shop`
I think the property, between Silver Lane and Barclays Bank, may now be empty.

Paul Reedman
January 1, 2010 @ 11:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Patrick
Do you know where I can get this book from?

Patrick
January 5, 2010 @ 8:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Paul
The book is `Who Traded Where - Stamford`s Tradespeople 1800 - 2000` by Ken Ford published in 2003 by MAD. I bought mine from Walkers in High Street for £6-95.  (walkersbookshops.co.uk)

Judy Wilson
April 14, 2010 @ 5:51 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Linda, I have just read your message on this forum.  My husband, Keith is a great grandson of Martha Priscilla Reedman and a grandson of Lillian May Spencer.  I would be pleased to share family information with you.

My address is judywilson24@bigpond.com

Kim Reedman
April 28, 2010 @ 12:59 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am a greatgrandson of Thomas Reedman and Susan Swan my grandfather was William Swan Reedman. Have some info on the family always looking for more and always pleased to supply what i can,please contact me if you wish i am always happy to learn and share.