paper round

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: paper round
Topic Originator: ron
Post Date April 4, 2006 @ 1:56 PM
 paper round

ron
April 4, 2006 @ 1:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was 11 (in 1951)  I had a paper round.   It started in Bath Row and went into St Peter's Vale, then into Austin Street and through All Saints' Callis where I was usually offered a cup of tea by one of the elderly residents.  This was at 7.15 a.m.  The remainder of the round was along St Peter's Street.  I used to have a look at the cars in Sycamore's Garage and then get back on my bike.  I was paid 10 shillings a week for six days deliveries.  I often saw Grace Lee, an elderly resident of the street,  feeding her large  number of cats at the top of St. Peter's Street.
Editor's note:  Did you have a job before you left school?  Tell us about it.  Your email need not appear unless you require a reply direct to you.

Paper round? 1951? Ten bob a week? you were overpaid? or did I have the wrong round? I use to deliver Sunday papers in 1951 " 200" of them, my round included:-Conduit rd, Princes rd, Queens St, Victoria rd, & Kings Rd, I had four bags of sunday papers that I would collected on my bike at 7am every Sunday morning, I was paid 7 shillings & 6 pence. how unlucky was I, never mind I enjoyed doing it at the time.
Ed: Thanks Clem.  That was in the days of hard work and errand boys. Pocket money hadn't been invented then.

Clem March 25, 2006 @ 11:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ed: pocket money? correct but somehow things seemed better, perhaps it was the fact that most had very little after the war, and you appreciated the little you had.