Me and My Motor Bike/photo added

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Me and My Motor Bike/photo added
Topic Originator: Chris
Post Date April 21, 2006 @ 7:12 PM
 Me and My Motor Bike/photo added
 Motor Bike/see photo of Chris & her motorbike
 Motor Bike/sweet sixteen!
 Motorbike/look no helmet
 Motorbike fan/Clem
 Motorbike/2ndhand stuff
 Bike/my blue knickers
 Bike/those knickers

Chris
April 21, 2006 @ 7:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Me & My Bike - Chris Freear 1955

To see this photo as large as possible double click on photo then click on
Actions top left of photo and then choose Slideshow.To "hold" a particular photo then click on 2 bars bottom left

At the age of 16 I was one of 2 (I think) females in Stamford to own and ride a motor bike, the other person was a Miss Pell, a few years older than me, who owned a BSA Bantam. My bike was an Excelsior with a 125cc villiers engine, with twin exhaust ports. It was second hand, I bought from St. Michael's Motors, in Ironmonger Street (The owners of St. Michael's Motors had taken over the premises when Mr Dickinson finished with his bicycle repair business) I had them paint my motor bike bright pillar box red, the original colour was a miserable maroon. The registration number was FAY 21, I sold it when I was 19 for £18.00, (Another reg. number that would be worth having I think)
Editor:  Thanks for that Chris.  What a wonderful numberplate.  Probably worth a fortune today.  I should think you felt great bombing around on your motorbike.  I always wanted a moped myself and once had a practice on one in a shop in Peterborough.  They let me try it at the rear of the shop premises I think along the street which runs along Marks & Spencers and Woolworths, less traffic then.  A lad at work also let me "have a go" on the one he had bought.  Never did get round to buying one.  Just goes to show - do it, don't regret it!  Does anyone remember seeing Chris or Miss Pell on their motor bikes?

Kate
September 23, 2010 @ 1:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

See Chris with her Motorbike. Double click on the photo.  Then click on the + sign top right.  Then click on " View All Sizes" to get largest image.

Clem Walden
September 23, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Chris, sweet sixteen! motor bike! great registration plate! I remember Miss Pell on her motor bike but never took much notice of her she did not live in Essex road neither did she have a "pillar box red" bike, (she was older than me anyway) I remember you and your  red bike you often passed me when I was heading home or just going out to meet the boys, I remember my Nanny Windsor (Worcester Crescent ) saying to me one day (that Christine see's no fear she rides a motor bike just like a man) she made funny statements at times. Last time I saw you must have been about four months ago. Hope you are OK and keeping well paticular following your recent loss. You should have kept that reg plate £18 for bike and plate? Mind you that was a lot of money then. Like the photo Chris brought back many fond memories of those good old days.

Chris
September 24, 2010 @ 3:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thank you for that Clem.
Your Nan was right, I had no fear at all, no crash helmet either, I wore a red woolley 'Bennie' hat until the boyfriend gave me  a helmet and insisted I wear it, I was very peeved, a crash helmet  didn't go with the image. Poor old Mum used to stand and watch me out of sight every time I went out, thought it'd be that last time she'd see me.
I keep very well thanks Clem, hope you do too, but I do miss my dear old bro, no more silly texts, emails or phone calls, he was my soul mate.
I remember your Dad at Arthur Lyons (That was your Dad wasn't it?) lovely guy, He and I would get a lift home at lunchtimes with Eric Dawtry who lived on Essex Road.

Clem Walden
September 25, 2010 @ 6:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Chris, I am doing fine a few minor health problems pleased to read you are also keping well. Nan was great fun we all loved her very much. She was never keen on Rock & Roll, I remember one Sunday when Nan was round our house and I was playing records while getting ready to go out, "top records of the time" including the (King Elvis) Nan said:- Clem turn that row off! and put the radio on "its time for "sing something  simple" (do you remember that Programme?)   When I got all my teddy boy gear on and was leaving the house I gave her a kiss and she remarked, "you do look smart" good old Nan,
I walked down the the old black path ten feet tall. Seems your mum worried about you the same as my Mum did about me when I got into motor bikes she would worry sick until I got home. Yes Chris that was my Dad "Arthur Lyons" As you say. He loved his work and all those he worked with. Like most back then we had very little. But our house was always full of love and laughter. Great Memories.

Chris
September 25, 2010 @ 9:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Oh yes,  Clem I remember 'Sing something simple' very well, my Mum liked that programme too, it was a bit 'old hat' for me though, I was also an Elvis fan (The King, great)
I've checked out the 'Stamford Teds' photos,  just as I remember you all, your Nan was right, very smart, wonderful memories.
I think money was short  for most families then Clem, when I started the High School it was mostly with second hand stuff, but I was so proud to be given Brother John's hockey stick and, as you say, home was filled with love and laughter, we were very fortunate kids.....and, by the way, your Dad was lovely.

Clem Walden
September 26, 2010 @ 5:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Chris pleased to note you were a big fan of the "King" my Nan had little time for "Rock & Roll but knew all about smartness and fashion she was great and always right????  Money was indeed very short for most families as you mention but somehow we all managed and enjoyed what little we had. Hand downs and second hand stuff was quite normal back then. Hope you did justice to your brothers hockey stick when you were at the High School?  Both my sisters attended the High School and I got a hand down once from my eldest sister. My first pair of football shorts, which were in fact a pair of navy blue High School knickers. Mum was very good with the needle and thread, took the elastic out the legs and hemmed them up. Never did tell my team mates.

Chris
September 27, 2010 @ 7:50 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ha ha ha Clem I bet you were just as proud of those knickers as I was of John's hockey stick. I tried to do it justice, it was bigger than everyone else's. Hockey was the only sport I was any good at, must've been that stick.