Mrs Pond Casterton Road Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Mrs Pond Casterton Road Stamford
Topic Originator: Editor
Post Date June 20, 2006 @ 1:29 PM
 Mrs Pond Casterton Road Stamford
 RE: Mrs Pond Casterton Road Stamford
 RE: Mrs Pond Casterton Road Stamford
 Mrs Pond/are steps still there?

Editor
June 20, 2006 @ 1:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was little, my Mum used to give me a penny and tell me to go and see Mrs Pond - and buy some fallen apples.  I used to walk down to the corner of "our bit" to near the Drum and Monkey pub, then turn left.  Their house was in the corner.  It had a sort of rickety set of steps up and Mrs Pond would appear at the door.  She would take you down to the orchard below and gather up a few fallen eating apples and send you home with them for the penny.  The orchard was quite large and bordered by allotments which in turn were bordered by steep sides with hedges and bushes at the top.  This area was destined to become Foxdale.
Mr Pond (Harry) her husband,  called Nod Pond by my father - no idea why, worked at the local printing works.  Apparently in his youth he was a renowned skater on the Fens.

Editor
June 21, 2006 @ 10:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I suddenly remembered another Mrs Pond of Casterton Road.  When we used to ride to school on our bikes Mrs Pond of Casterton Road (about half way down on the left hand side in one of the houses before you get to Donkey Steps) used to sit in the window of her house and wave to us as we went by to school.  She was always smiling and waving.  Her daughter also living there was Hilda Pond the music teacher.  The music students used to attend at the house for music lessons. Anyone else remember this Mrs Pond sitting in the window and waving?

Roger
October 29, 2007 @ 8:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember both of the Casterton Road Ponds very well. My parents were very friendly with the next to "Drum and Monkey" Ponds' son Warner. The family owned a lot of houses in Reform St/Torkingon St/Zebra Cottages.

Always remember waving to the other Mrs Pond when I was very young.
Kate: Yes Roger, Mrs Pond 'in the window' must have got write acke from all that waving.

betty
July 20, 2010 @ 8:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was looking through the Forum and saw the entry on Miss Pond.  I too remember her sitting in the window and waving to us as we went to St. John's School, no buses in those days.  We used to run up the steps in front of those houses and down at the other end in front of Miss Ponds.  I must look next time I am in Stamford to see if those steps still exist.
Kate: Nice to hear from you Betty.