Johnsons Chemist Red Lion Square Stamford

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Johnsons Chemist Red Lion Square Stamford
Topic Originator: Editor
Post Date June 21, 2006 @ 11:04 AM
 RE: Johnsons Chemist Red Lion Square Stamford
 Johnsons Chemist/I worked there!
 Johnsons Chemist/posh dances
 Johnsons/those glass jars
 Johnsons Chemist
 Johnsons/youngest granddaughter
 Johnsons in the old "Square"
 Johnsons Chemist/Mary Johnson
 Johnsons/Mrs Wade
 Johnsons Chemist/Snowden cousins
  brodies chemist

Editor
June 21, 2006 @ 11:04 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Johnsons used to be the Chemists  in Red Lion Square where the off License is now.  It was nearly always open in the evening so if you worked and had to go for your surgery appointment at night, Johnsons was your normal (dreaded) place to go to have your prescription filled. I say dreaded because there would always be a queue (well not so much a queue as a gathering) of people waiting for ages for their prescriptions.  When yours was finally done, Mr Johnson or Fergus Bryce, his assistant chemist, would call out your name and often go into great detail about the ointment, pills etc that you had to take.  This in a big, deep, loud voice which all the shop could hear.  Could be quite embarrassing, but also very amusing if you were not the unlucky recipient.  The whole shop was a complete muddle and how they ever found what they were looking for is a mystery, but they always did.

john freear
June 24, 2006 @ 2:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Now I am going to be a bit risque; do you remember the little room up 2 or so steps to the left of the entrance doors over the counter where a nod and a wink with a half crown passed over the counter would send Mr Johnson or Fergy scurrying to retrieve who knows what for the customer?
Kate:  I remember the steps John, but am too young to know anything else!  

David
February 7, 2007 @ 1:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Circa late 50's early 60's.
I used to attend grammar school with two of the Johnson sons,they were boarders at Kings' Peterborough.After leaving Kings' and making a move to Ryhall I bumped into the eldest son"Keggy" on a Stamford st we became friends for a while.
Kate:  Thanks for that update David.  It all helps to build a bigger picture and those who remember Johnsons always like to hear a "bit more" info. It brings all those memories back.

JohnDale McAllister
February 8, 2007 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In 62 & 63 the assistant in Johnsons was a girl called Chris(tine) Studd.
Kate:  Thanks John.  Wonder if Chris(tine) is out there somewhere reading this?

margaret
February 12, 2007 @ 11:55 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Talking about chemists, I am sure there was a chemist or was it a post office ? on st marys street which is now an estate agents , and across the road is a flower shop.
Kate:  Yes there was a chemists there - I think it was Brodies.  Mr Brodie was I think on the town council.  His daughter was also there and ran an opticians business at the rear of the shop.  Later I think the Co-op took the shop over but then as you say it became an estate agents office.

angela cuschieri ne;holland
May 16, 2010 @ 5:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to work in johnsons chemist as a sat girl, I loved it, especially Mr Johnson, with his feet all swathed in grubby bandages, and no socks! Christine Studd worked there as well as Eileen Dunkerley, and Hilary Mitchell. Christine went on to date my brother Billy Holland for a few years, she is still around, looking gud doing lots of keep fit activities. Hilary has passed away, bless her, and Eileen moved away to work abroad, but I hear she is back in Stamford,maybe walked by her, and didn't recognise her, after all these years.
Kate: Hi Angela.  Thanks very much for that update on Johnsons.  We all remember it with nostalgia.  Part of our childhood, early adulthood to have to venture into Johnsons when we needed some embarassing prescription.  His booming voice made us tremble and cower in the corner!  If we could get in there when it was empty what a boon!

betty
May 16, 2010 @ 6:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Wendy Britten worked for many years in Johnsons chemist before Christine Studd.  I used to wait for Wendy to finish work as she had to work late, which was not common in those days.

I also seem to think Mr and Mrs Johnson lived up Barn Hill at one time as I know they used to attend the posh dinners and dances in Stamford. (I got that information from my mother who used to wait on at these do's)

Hi Betty, thanks for that additional staffing info. Best wishes Kate

Patrick
May 18, 2010 @ 7:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

According to Ken Ford (``Who Traded Where``) Johnson`s was unique in the town because it was solely a chemists shop for around 250 years. He writes `This shop was established as a Chemist and Druggist in the early 1700s and continued in this Trade until the 1980s.
In 1900 George Arthur Johnson took over the business and, eventually, his son continued in the same trade until the 1980s`. Does anyone remember the popular Johnson`s Cough and Cold Mixture reputed to contain opium and guarantee a good night`s sleep. I remember the large glass jars filled with coloured liquid (what was it?) which apparently was the trade sign of a chemist.  After Judith Lawson took over the business, I asked her once how old the jars were. She didn`t know but said they were in the shop before the Johnsons bought it. She said they were valuable and several people had asked to buy them but they were not for sale. I wonder what became of them.
Kate: Thanks for that Patrick.  Yes, wonder where they are now?

John Tyers
June 14, 2010 @ 4:47 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Johnsons Chemists was a town institution with very loose opening hours to say the least.  There used to be a corny joke at one time about a hearse traversing Red Lion Square on it's way to the cemetery, when the coffin slid out of the back and rolled down towards the post office.  Whereupon the poor unfortunate within, jumped out and ran up the Square and into the shop enquiring "Mr Johnson have you got something to stop me coughing (coffin)", Get it?  On a more serious vein Johnsons were the inventors and sole suppliers of the marvellous cure all, Stanfords cough linctus which tasted delicious.  Whether it did you any good is debateable.Whether it did you any good is debatable and only learned today there was Opium in it!  No wonder you slept well after taking it.

Kate:  I like it.  I like it alot John.  Thankyou for that.

JohnDale McAllister
July 1, 2010 @ 2:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, I see from Angela's entry that Chris Studd is still about Stamford.
It would be lovely to make contact again after all these years & then I could make my apologies for my actions at that time. Maybe she doesn't look at the forum as this thread has been running for four years now. Kind regards,JD.
Kate: Hi John.  Soon be August again.  Wonder if you will be making the trip to Stamford this year?

Vicki Johnson
July 22, 2010 @ 4:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hey everyone, I am Aurthur Johnsons youngest granddaughter, I have just found this string and I have to say I am smiling reading about all your memories.  Fortunately for me I have very fond memories of both my Grandpa and Fergus (although both were retired when I was born) actually I say that but I can say that I also have been subjected to the cough and cold mixture several times, although Grandpa used to make it up for me until I was about 12 I still to this day do not know what he made it from and I can honestly say I really dont want to know :) I can probably answer a couple of questions..with regards to the jars that used to stand in the shop, Grandpa actually donated them to Smithkline Beecham (now GSK) and as far as I know they now stand in the libaray at the UK head office, at the time the Stamford Mercury wrote an article.  Like I say its been a pleasure reading your posts and I shall point Uncle John in this direction.  Keep up the reminiscing....
Hi Vicki.  Thanks so much for your post and info regarding Grandpa Johnson.
I have written to GSK asking them if they still have the jars and whether they could supply me with a photo.  Hoping that they actually reply and that I don't get binned in the spam box!  Perhaps I can locate that Mercury article which would perhaps have a photo.  I must make some enquiries.  Thanks again for contacting me.  Johnsons was the only one for us - he was always there when we needed our prescriptions! Kate

Mike Laughton
November 27, 2011 @ 3:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember the chemist's shop and the Johnson family well. Mr and Mrs Johnson were very well-known personalities in the town - real characters. I remember that Mr Johnson never used to wear any socks in the pharmacy and Mrs Johnson (Mary) was a terrific singer in her youth and a mainstay of Stamford Operatic Society for whom she took many leading roles. For years the romantic leads were always taken by bank manager Frederick Allen (Tim Clancy's father in law) and Mary Johnson. In later life Mary became better known for liking a drink.
Their sons were about my age and great fun although I don't believe they went to local state schools.

betty
November 29, 2011 @ 3:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was in Stamford at the weekend and my sister-in-law has a picture on the wall dated 1922 and Johnsons the Chemist is there and on the corner is the Gents Outfitters "Bell" also there is Freeman, Hardy and Willis painted on the wall in big letters over by Parsleys Restaurant.  

I could still look at the picture and see the Market Square as it was when I was a young child in the 1040=50's

Phil Snowden
December 30, 2011 @ 7:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Phil sent in this photo of Mary Johnson taken in 1931 on the back of a motor cycle.  Thanks very much Phil.
Left to right, Mary Johnson, nee Cotterill, Nell Snowden nee Farmery and Winnie Wade nee Farmery.  Winnie Wade later ran the Grocery Shop opposite Lambeth Walk

Mary Johnson,Nell Snowden,Win Wade 1931

betty
December 30, 2011 @ 8:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Mrs Wade when she ran the shop up Lambeth Walk.  Friday Tea-time at the shop was always busy as it was pay day and people went for their weekly order.  Everything had to be weighed.

I think her two boys Maurice and Fred are still around Stamford.

Mike Laughton
January 11, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil,
           Does that mean that you and Richard are cousins of Maurice and Derek Wade? I never knew that!
Mike

judy
April 21, 2012 @ 1:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

after brodies anne edwards had the chemist then the coop took over then the estate agents

leon peasgood
May 10, 2014 @ 5:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi just reading about johnsons the girl you are on about used to live in Northumberland ave, did  you know that she could not hear you she could only lip read,she also had a sister called Kathy.
Hi Leon.  Thanks for that Leon. Kate

JohnDale McAllister
August 6, 2014 @ 4:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sorry Leon, either someone is pulling your leg or you are talking about another girl. Christine Studd did indeed live in Northumberland Avenue.  She had a brother called David who worked for the railway & an older married sister who lived in a big caravan out the Ketton road. Chris & I were engaged for a while & I think I would have known if she was unable to hear. Kind regards,JD.
Kate: Hi John nice to hear from you again.  Sorry you are not able to make it to the car rally.  It was very good to meet you that day (must be a year or two now?)

JohnDale McAllister
January 10, 2015 @ 3:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, yes it was good to meet you at the show a couple of times. The last time Chris Nottingham was also there, though he sadly passed before the next years show. I haven't been since but it's in the plans this year, if possible. All the best to you & yours for 2015,kind regards,JD.
Hi JohnD very good to hear from you.  Hope you are well and ready to enjoy
2015.  Stamford is still here and becoming very touristy!.  Best wishes to you.
Kate

clem Walden
January 13, 2015 @ 2:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi John, Leon certainly has the wrong girl. Christine Stud was sound of mind and body and her hearing was excellent. You mention her sister who lived in a caravan. Her name was Gill Stud she married Phil Stafford and they moved to Andrew Road Stamford they live two doors away from my Sister and I offten see Phil and Gill in the Town. I have known The Northumberland Avenue Stud family all my life.

JohnDale McAllister
March 7, 2015 @ 10:03 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem, nice to know everyone is still around. Yes it was Gill I was thinking of but the old memory isn't what it was. I remember Dad worked in the George & brother David worked for the railway, although I did hear he had started a van hire business some years ago. Wonder if David is still about Stamford too? Happy memories until I made a mess of it - my big mistake.
All the best,JD.

Betty Haddon
April 11, 2016 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My sister,Linda Haddon also worked at Johnson's from 1961 until she joined the QARANC. She worked with Christine Studd , we all used to go out together. Linda returned to work for Mr Johnson in 1969  when she returned to Stamford.