YMCA Soccer team, circa 1955

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: YMCA Soccer team, circa 1955
Topic Originator: Phil Rudkin
Post Date July 13, 2006 @ 9:42 PM
 YMCA Soccer team, circa 1955

Phil Rudkin
July 13, 2006 @ 9:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have the team photo, and the names are as follows:
Back row: George Statham, David Harris, Tony Richardson, Peter Watson, Phil Rudkin, Bernard Veasy, Fred Lamb.
Front row: Colin Francis, Harry Stainsby, Mick Hopkins, Aubrey Garrett, Ray Medwell.
Six of that team are still in and around Stamford, sadly, four are deceased, and two left town many years ago.  This team played in the Peterborough League third division.(South).  Several of us had been together for three years.  I will send in an earlier team soon, circa 1953.
Hope that we will get some response.   There were many other activities at the YMCA under Geoff Peters, so lets have memories from other members who attended, boys and girls. I know many still live locally.
Kate:  Thanks Phil.  I can recall some of those people from the names you have listed.  Trouble is, in my mind  I  still see those young faces  associated with the names. Sometimes I suddenly realise in town - oh, that must be so and so.  People have changed, but underneath, their faces still retain something of their youth.  Unless they have a facelift and then all that "essence" of the person seems to be replaced by someone different.