Bluecoat Teachers

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Bluecoat Teachers
Topic Originator: Dan Entwisle
Post Date January 3, 2008 @ 6:53 PM
 Bluecoat Teachers
 RE: Bluecoat Teachers
 Bluecoat/photo old school
 BLUECOAT TEACHERS: 1966/70

Dan Entwisle
January 3, 2008 @ 6:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I lived in Stamford between July 1979 and April 1982.  I went to Bluecoat school and remember three great teachers there.

Mr Brian Brabben, the head.  Helen Dawn - my form teacher
Ian Mc Gynn - who took us for maths.....and just remembered this one, Mr Beddows - the scary but brilliant singing teacher.

Anyone know if they are still around?

Mr Mc Glynn and Mr Brabben took us to Wales in April 1980 on a walking holiday.  My first time away from home.

Andrew Matthews
January 5, 2008 @ 5:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Dan, I went to Bluecoat School between September 1968 and July 1975. When I started the Bluecoat School at Green Lane was still under construction and the school was split between the old original Bluecoat in St Peter's Hill, the Old St Michael's School at the bottom of Recreation Ground Rd and the North Street Chapel which stands on the edge of the North Street car park. The Green Lane site opened at Autumn Term 1969 and I remember starting that year in Mrs Broom's class in an imaculate new school. I believe Mrs Broom taught there for many years later teaching in the Unit for children with learning difficulties. I was in Mrs Dawn's class (J7) between September 1973 and July 1974 then up to Mr Beddow's class (J10) between September 1974 to July 1975. I remember Mrs Dawn being a fantastic teacher, really kind and interesting and I enjoyed that year very much. I remember being really worried about going on to Mr Beddows as he seemed really strict and scary. However, he was actually really great and I was really sorry to leave his class and the school the next year. I can remember being in his drama group and being in the Xmas 1974 Nativity play - 'Happy days!!' Mr Walker was headmaster then so I never actally met Mr Brabben but my sisters remember him well.
Mr Beddows retired around the late 80s/early 90s and used to attend the same church as my mother. He and his family moved to the south coast in the mid 90s and sadly he died not long after moving there. Mrs Dawn is still around the town although long retired. She lives on St Leonard's Street in Stamford. Other Junior School teachers at Bluecoat when I was there which you may remember were:  Mrs Dodkin (J1), Mrs Chappell (J2), Mrs Parkes (J2A), Mr Conrad (J3), Mrs Mitchum (J4), Mr Ingram (J5), Mr Todd (J6), Mrs Dawn (J7, Mrs Addison (J8), Miss Henderson (J9), Mr Beddows (J10) and Mr Burkes (J10A). Mr Burkes was also Deputy Head. It would be interesting to hear other's memories of Bluecoat especially from those days.

Roger
January 10, 2008 @ 7:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Andrew, if you want strict and scary at the Bluecoat may I suggest "Oxo" Ward. Before your time of course - he was my 2nd year class teacher in 1958/9 and was probably in his 60s then. A slap or even two on the back of the legs was a frequent and effective punishment - you didn't want to experience that too often. Arthur Ingram was my class teacher in both my 1st and 4th years - promotion? Arthur was a great teacher, well respected and popular.

Andrew Matthews
January 11, 2008 @ 11:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I've heard all about Mr 'Oxo' Ward as he taught my father in the late 1930s to early 1940s but I believe he was a teacher at the St Michael's Senior School then - but I could be wrong. I actually met Mr Ward and his wife many years later when they moved into a house a few doors down from us. Beween 1969/1971 they moved into 87, Casterton Road and we lived at 97. He had retired and I remember my father often speaking with hm whilst he was in his garden. He seemed like a kindly old gentleman then and my father said he was a good teacher but was 'handy with the cane!!'  My father also went to Bluecoat in th 1930s and told me that a teacher called 'Jogger' or 'Geoger' Harvey was the terror of the school in those days.

Richard Campbell
July 1, 2008 @ 2:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

In the late fifties there was Wacko Taylor.....He administered discipline with a cricket bat.

Mr Walker was the head.

phil
July 8, 2008 @ 11:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

changing schools now to st michaels.
i went there in 1954 we had some very strict teachers.the english teacher was spewey sparks,he had a saying,"sound your haitches you hignorant hass or i'll hit you in the hye with a honion"..the maths teacher was beaky barlow ,i remember the first thing he would do on monday was wind up his 8 day dial clock for the week which was on the wall behind his desk.we didnt think so at the time but they were happy days.my brother was known as "the colonel",he would stand in the playground and tell the latest stories on " dan dare pilot of the future"

Clem Walden
July 8, 2008 @ 10:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Bluecoat, I was there in the 40s Johny Taylor was the head, his son Harry Taylor was also a teacher so was oxo Ward & Mr Walker, Johny Walker got me involved with All Saints choir, he was still in the choir when I was church warden 2004.
I was also at St Michaels but left in 1954, were Mr Ross, Mr Dilly, Mr York, Mr Nibbelet, Duggy Wareham, Mr Gower, still there when you started? we all remember "old Joe Sparks" Great days - good memories.
Would be interested to hear from anyone that was at the Bluecoat 1947-1949 or at St Mich's 1949-1954.

Bluecoat School, St Peter's Hill Stamford

Bluecoat School, St Peter's Hill, Stamford

© Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

DOUBLE CLICK ON PHOTO TO GO TO LARGER IMAGE
USE BACK BUTTON TO RETURN TO THIS PAGE

Kevin
July 9, 2008 @ 8:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Harry Taylor's dreaded cricket bat was called Joey, I seem to remember. And a little bit of relevant poetry passed on to me over 50 years ago by my late aunt:
Oxo Ward is a very good man,
He goes to church on Sunday,
He prays to God to give him strength
To whack the boys on Monday.

phil
July 10, 2008 @ 10:49 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

most of the teachers you mentioned were there when i started.some others were mr maxwell dep.head,mr dunderdale sport,miss hatton music,miss peasgood who was the undertakers wife i believe.the teachers would park on the rec.opposite the school,doug wareham had an old black mariah he bought off the police.someone put a for sale sign on it one day.there was a lot of detentions over that.i remember your days with yae hill,jace lee ,chuddit laughton,etc.very well.but i was a lot younger than you guys.
Kate:  Come on, own up, who put that notice on the mariah?!

phil
July 11, 2008 @ 10:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

the problem was, Kate that people were coming to the school making offers !!!!!!

Anthony Smith
May 25, 2009 @ 5:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have fond memories of the Bluecoat (1966-1970ish)- teachers like Beattie Broom and Arthur Ingram, and Mr Walker the boss. There was a scary lady with a gold tooth, Miss Harrison, who taught us sums by rote, using a pointer and some ancient lacquered canvas drop-down  scrolls.  Hey, but it works !  Seven eights fifty six etc etc ...

i particularly recall the Long March from the old North St site to the new school up Rec road, all carrying our boxes of books.

I was only a year at the nice shiny new place before I went to Stamford School - back to the '20's !