Henry Warren

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Henry Warren
Topic Originator: Steve arnatt
Post Date March 9, 2008 @ 3:37 PM
 Henry Warren
 RE: Henry Warren
 3 St Mary's St/Henry WARREN
 Henry Warren/Stamford coat of arms
 Henry's Shop/ thanks Pat
 Henry WARREN/Clocks & watches
 Henry WARREN/mssge for Phil
 Henry WARREN/messge for Richard
 Henry WARREN
 Henry WARREN mssge for Phil
  Henry Warren
  Henry Warren
 Henry Warren
 Henry Warren

Steve arnatt
March 9, 2008 @ 3:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi all, i have been researching this gentleman who had a shop , 3 st marys street, Stamford from about 1850 to 1915 silversmiths shop, does anyone no what happened or what became of the shop ?
Kate:  Hi Steve.  Anyone have information on 3 St Mary's Street or know anything about Henry WARREN Silversmith?  Please write in for Steve.

phil
March 11, 2008 @ 11:15 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi steve,
about 15 to 20 years ago my mother took our family for a meal at the royal oak in swayfield.there was a map on the pub wall of stamford,with shop adverts all round the edge,and h.warren was one advert.i had just acqired a clock by warren the week before.i said to the barman about this, and the coincidence and he said ,you wont believe this then,his daughter is 90 and lives upstairs,she came down and said hello and i gave her a picture of the clock,she told me she was the last in line of the warrens of warrens keep in bath row.and that she used to  live at rusholm lodge st pauls street.where henry lived...

steve arnatt
March 11, 2008 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi phill ! thanks for the imfo, i to have a dial clock by H warren,made in 1872 witch started my interest in H warren,born in 1833, its a great clock, the case is by wilcox local case maker, i also have a book called stamford clocks and watchs by laurence tebbutt, it has many local interesting facts and details of stamford clocks and watchs, there is a early photo of h Warren standing in the door way 3 st marys street, about 1880, i have looked up the 1861 cencus 1871 and 1901, henry is there with wife susan allen, he had 3 sons frederick, thomas , and later william, born in 1868 who was a watch maker,assistant to henry, Now records show that henry died in 1918 so he could have had a daughter after the records show , the clock i have is believed to be the one he had in his shop, as there is an inscription on the bottom door saying it was erected in 1873 for the recovery of prince william on thanksgiving day, my granfather was a clock and watch repair man and he obtained it from stamford for repair , his reply was it came from the shop many years ago for repair how long i dont no, my grandfarther died in 1980, i was to repair the clock 5 years ago !   steve.

steve arnatt
March 15, 2008 @ 8:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi, very interesting all this history about stamford what an excellent forum, more inforrmation about h.warren ,the lady in her 90s that phil met turns out to be Eva warren who was william s warrens  daughter ,the son of henry warren  , of course william warren was also a watchmaker, fred warren moved to islington by 1901 , thomas warren was still with his father henry at the shop 3 st marys st,, i still have no information on henrys wife Susan allen born in Rutland 1832, DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO NUMBER 3 ST MARYS STREET, AS IT IS NOT LISTED  NUMBER 1 2,4 AND 5 I HAVE DETAILS BUT NO NUMBER3 , thanks to all that have looked at these messages and shown interest , hope you make sense of my grammar and spelling ! thanks to all , steve
Kate: Thanks for the compliment about the forum Steve. Certainly  Hope its a pleasure for people to read the postings.
ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MISSING NO. 3 ST. MARY'S STREET?

Patrick
June 22, 2009 @ 9:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

3 St.Mary`s Street
Ken Ford, in his excellent Stamford  book `Who Traded Where` says
`No:3 RAPPORT - Ladies Clothing
In the mid-1850s Henry Warren, a watchmaker, jeweller and optician opened his shop here. Henry traded until the early 1900s when Edward Kettle acquired the property.  He was a watchmaker and jeweller too. By the 1950s it was `The Work Box` selling wools etc and in the 1970s `Hat Peg` a ladies` hat shop. It is now (2003)  RAPPORT.`

Richard Warren
July 28, 2009 @ 8:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My wife and I were in Stamford in September (08), tracing our family's roots.  Henry Warren was my great grandfather's half brother...their father was Robert Warren (1806-1854) who's buried in Empingham.  Henry's mother was Mary Anne Warren (Frisby) who is buried in the All Saints Church cemetary, just outside the doors, along with 3 of their children who died shortly after birth.   His second wife, Anne (Chamberlain) was my gr grandfather's mother...she is also buried at All Saints however we were unable to find her grave.  Eva and her sister Phyllis were, to our knowledge, both spinsters...Eva passed away approx. 5 years ago...

We have records of the family dating from Robert Warren (1806-1854) onward to roughly 1959, but nothing earlier...if anyone has any prior history, or can put me in touch with family members still living in the Stamford area, that would be great.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing how easy it is to acquire one of these time pieces made by Henry Warren...

phil
July 28, 2009 @ 10:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Richard,I think Henry Warren clocks and watches are thin on the ground.I have a Dial clock and a watch by Warren,and also a poem from an ancient Stamford book about three lions being impaled on Warrens chekie coat by King Edward 1V,to make the now stamford shield.I believe your aunt told me that the Warrens of the Keep were her ancestors.I have a letter from Tebbut(Stamford Historian)saying he had met miss Warren,she had a collection of Henrys watches.the letter was from the late 60s early 70s.If you would like photos of the above I would be pleased to oblige. Yours Phil.

steve arnatt
July 30, 2009 @ 12:20 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ah, at last many thanks pat. just goes to show ,i always hoped someone would know what happened to henrys shop .with out going to the land registry office,  and reference to more reading ! brill,

steve arnatt
July 30, 2009 @ 12:31 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

i will post any more information i can find about the clocks and watches of Henry Warren , and if any, other artifacts bearing his name come
to light . the search continues . steve

Richard Warren
August 19, 2009 @ 10:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil...

I'd love to get a copy of the letter, and whatever else you have that would help me trace the family roots...

phil
August 20, 2009 @ 5:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hi, Richard, if you let me have your e.mail somehow.i will send you all i have,yours Phil
Kate:  If you are agreeable Richard, I can forward your email address to Phil.  Thanks K

Richard Warren
August 20, 2009 @ 10:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil...

That would be very much appreciated...

Kate...please forward my email address to Phil...

Thanx
Hi Richard, yes that has been done. Thanks for your postings to the site.  Kate

Richard Warren
December 14, 2009 @ 11:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil...

I must apologize...I did receive your email, and the attachments...thank you very much...

r

Ruth Wright (nee Douglas)
September 22, 2013 @ 8:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was the lady aged about 90 at Swayfield Phyllis Warren? I think it may have been.  If so she lived for many years in the big house on the corner opposite the top of Brazenoze Hill.  She was a wonderful person, a friend of my mother and father and we used to visit a lot.  My eldest son christened her 'Tin' because she always welcomed him with a tin of biscuits to choose from.  It was a fantastic house with things like stuffed animals, very Victorian decor. She also had lots of wonderful toys - she passed some of them on to us - I still have the range (cooker) from the dolls house.  I slightly remember Miss Warren's mother too - she also lived there.

Phil
September 30, 2013 @ 7:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes she was that age and as you said a very nice lady ,but I have often wondered how she ended up in a flat over that pub after spending her life in such a fantastic house in Stamford I believe it was called. Rush plume Lodge.

Patrick
October 1, 2013 @ 9:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the house at the St.Paul`s Street/Brasenose crossroads (where the Warrens lived) is called Rusholme Lodge. It is on the site of The Holy Trinity and St.Stephen`s church. Next time you are stuck at the traffic lights you can see the carving of St.Stephen(?) over the front door.

Ruth Wright
October 23, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think that when Miss Warren's mother died, Miss Warren may have jointly-invested in the pub?  Though I am not sure.  I seem to recall that she was happy to have moved there, I think she had friends in the village?  By the way, she was a very elegant and good-looking lady even when she was older - with amazingly beautiful hands.

b e jackson
August 8, 2018 @ 11:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

please contact me