north street

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: north street
Topic Originator: john
Post Date July 17, 2008 @ 12:58 PM
 north street
 RE: north street
 Nag's Head Passage
 north street/Mr Cook
  north street/piano lessons

john
July 17, 2008 @ 12:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does any one out there remember the houses on the site of the present North Street car park?
Kate:  Any good memories out there?  Please send in your recollections for John.

Clem Walden
July 17, 2008 @ 3:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The area had several buildings on it, their was a court yard area called "Alma Place" the houses were stone, & had a window that  looked out on to the rec.  also down the passage way that led to Alma Place there was also houses. Cooks Shoe repairs were on one corner, & the ATC building on the other, the Slaughter House was also on the site, there were two large buildings on the front facing the road, which I believe were storage areas for "Holes" or "Phipp's" brewery's, the buildings had big yellow doors, if I remember  correctly, I had a school friend that lived in "Alma Place" his name was Ron Bryant" his father was a local policeman.

John Cox
July 22, 2008 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Cooks Shoe repairs and just opposite I think was the Baptist Church. My Dad worked at the Slaughter House when he first worked for Nelsons around 1927 and much later he opened and managed the Pie and Sausage facory which I assume is still in operation. I also recall there was a communal water tap in Alma Place where we would go for a drink on a hot summers day after playing cricket in the Rec. As Clem mentioned Ron Bryant lived in Alma Place before he moved to East Street with his Mother. The last time I saw Ron was in Singapore in 1963.

Clem Walden
August 3, 2008 @ 11:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

John, "Nelsons 1927" "water tap Alma Place"  "Ron Bryant 1963" thanks for the reminding me about that water tap, by the way my father as a young man in the early 1920's also worked for Nelsons he told me all about how they made pork pies, great that Nelsons are still around, what other old busineses are left in the Town? last time I saw Ron Bryant was 1956/7 wonder where he is now?

Roger
August 6, 2008 @ 10:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Around 1956 the Stamford Free Church held its Sunday School in the Baptist Chapel in Alma Place, but soon afterwards moved a short distance to the Darby and Joan Club at the bottom of Recreation Ground Rd. It eventually built its own church in Kesteven Rd. Anyone remember going to the Sunday School in 50s/60s?

Joan Stafford
December 29, 2008 @ 8:57 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A Mr. Black lived in Alma place, he was a plumber. The big buildings facing the road, were storage for Lowe Son and Cobbold. The buildings were used to put the bodies of the Polish paratroopers killed over Easton/Tinwell, sometime during the war

Clem Walden
March 15, 2009 @ 7:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Joan, thanks for reminding me "Lowe son & Cobbold" not "Holes or Phipps"as I mentioned, the passage that went between North street & Broad street was always known to me as "Lowe's & Cobbolds" passage, others would refer to it as "Poachers Passage" the name it bears now is "Nag's Head passage" I wonder if the name of the passage that I remember as a young boy was derived from the name "Lowe son & Cobbold" I never knew the passage as "Nags Head" in the 40s-60s perhaps someone can tell me if this name is correct & how it got the name? do remember Mr Black the plumber, & the stories about the Polish paratrooper bodies being put in those buildings you recall.

Gillian Hendy
November 26, 2011 @ 11:41 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I can vaguely remember the row of properties that were there - I was quite young.    My Father used to get his shoes repaired at Cooks and I can recall going in there and seeing Mr Cook, in fact it's very strange but remembering this I can see the inside of his shop in my head.  You could see Mr Cook working away when you went past too.   All very different to modern shoe repair shops.

judy
April 21, 2012 @ 3:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

next door to mr cooks was mrs davis and her daughter mrs davis used to teach piano. i had lessons with her