Secret tunnels

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Secret tunnels
Topic Originator: Vin
Post Date September 12, 2008 @ 10:09 PM
 Secret tunnels
 RE: Secret tunnels

Vin
September 12, 2008 @ 10:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Is there any truth to the legend of a secret tunnel network under stamford?
Been interested in this since i was a child, and would love to know the true story.

alan Tutt
September 19, 2008 @ 3:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

there are 2/3 pages on secret tunnels in Martin Smith's Myths & legends of Stamford, available from Stamford Museum

Sandra Ruddock nee' Baverstock
December 28, 2008 @ 7:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was told there was a tunnel at the back of Forsyth and Ferriers Garage.
Hi Sandra.  Anyone know about this one?  Anyone been down any of the tunnels?  Are they open to the public? Kate

john freear
December 29, 2008 @ 1:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I dont think that the tunnels were "secret Tunnels". My view is that they were the lowest storey i.e.basement. Over the years the ocupation level of the town has risen so that High St. is now quite a lot higher than it was in for instance when that part of the town was a Danish borough.(?600-1000AD?) I have accurate and personal knowlege of one such "tunnel". This lies below what was the head masters house of the old St georges School in Wharf road. This was discovered during alterations which took place to these premises. I cannot remember the date. However it had a watercourse running through it  and was so eerie that no one would go down. It was therefore hastily covered up. Looking at the ordnance map the watercourse logically could quite well have been from the conduit in Conduit Road on its way to the River.
Kate: How good to hear from you John.  Hope you are well and will be having a good New Year.
I found this information about the tunnels very interesting and the fact that they could be "basement level" sounds very logical.  I didn't think about the name "Conduit Road" - seems obvious when you point it out.  There is always a "leak" of water at the bottom there, travelling along that lane near the corner.  Perhaps this could be something to do with the water course, or perhaps its just a leaking pipe?  Anyone else remember the head's house for St George's School in Wharf Road?  I can't recall the  Head's house - though I remember the School itself and the playground very well.

Joan Stafford
December 29, 2008 @ 3:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi, Sandra,  
I heard there was a tunnel from the Old Priory (Monks) to the Greyfriars (Nuns) don't know how true that is.

john freear
December 30, 2008 @ 1:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Going a bit further and referring to the conduit: it finished in St. Paul's St immediately to the left of what I know as "Fancourts Garage" When I say left I mean to the East. Today they clean cars and I don't know what their title is.
The font ( now there's a word which has a quite different meaning now doesn't it?) is still there for all to see and I'm sure that the vast majority of people in Stamford albeit true local grown Stamfordians or like my wife "Johnny come latelies" (she has only been here for 54 years) will never have seen it. If you haven't then go and have a look and get enlightened!!!
Kate:  Anyone else seen this?  Must have a look next time I am walking by there.