Ghostly sightings

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Ghostly sightings
Topic Originator: Paul Reedman
Post Date October 27, 2008 @ 8:42 PM
 Ghostly sightings
 RE: Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings/skeleton
  Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings
  Ghostly sightings
 Ghostly sightings
  Ghostly sightings

Paul Reedman
October 27, 2008 @ 8:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

With it coming up to Halloween shortly I wondered if anyone has had any ghostly experiences what with Stamford being such an old town. Have searched a few websites and heard a few stories including one about the pool table in the Millstone pub on All Saints Street moving on its own accord. Also the ghostly woman spotted in a window with no legs on Scotsgate. Be interesting to know if anyone out there has had any experiences of their own

syd
September 19, 2009 @ 9:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I've been in the Millstone a few times and I'm sure the tables moved a few times, and I've also seen quite a few legless women up Scotgate too.

Patrick
September 21, 2009 @ 7:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Nice one, Sid.
There used to be a talk around Stamford about St.Leonard`s Priory. After Henry VIII suppressed the monasteries in the 1530s he sent his Commissioners to Stamford to confiscate all the Church treasure.  The six monks at the Priory pleaded poverty and said they had no treasure.  A few nights before they had taken their treasure to the Nunnery at Newstead and buried it.  If you are on Uffington Road at midnight on New Year`s Eve you may see the six monks retracing their steps from the Priory to Newstead to check that the treasure is safe but if you try to follow them they will disappear.
(If you are arrested at midnight on Uffington Road it may be wise to have some other reason for being there).

anita
March 7, 2012 @ 7:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

im interested to know what was standing ie building wise or what was in the region of dundee drive stamford years ago as i have had a few chilling moments when the room freezes and something scoops my hair very very gently and is gone and yes i am wide awake at these times and really feel a precsence before this happens ? too vivid to be jst imagination its quite scary

anita
March 7, 2012 @ 7:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

im interested to know what was standing ie building wise or what was in the region of dundee drive stamford years ago as i have had a few chilling moments when the room freezes and something scoops my hair very very gently and is gone and yes i am wide awake at these times and really feel a precsence before this happens ? too vivid to be jst imagination its quite scary

Clem Walden
March 8, 2012 @ 4:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Patrick. I like your comment [Nice One Sid] I must add I too have seen a few legless individuals both female and male in Scotgate over the past years. Your mention of St Leonards Priory reminded me of past stories about various ghostly sightings? I am not sure but do believe Sid himself may know a tale or two about the antics local boy's got up too on various late night occasions at the old Priory. Ghostly sightings? There were many who thought so? Dressed up a couple of times myself in my youth. Think I should end it there. Perhaps Sid [If my memory serves me well] may be able to add a passage or two about St Leonards Priory Ghostly Sighting? In those days long since past.

Kate
March 15, 2012 @ 12:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A member of the Forum sent in a posting to this thread about a skeleton being found in this area by an archeologist - but my computer has swallowed the posting and I am unable to locate it.  If you were the one to send this - could I appeal to you to resend?  Thanks for your indulgence.

syd
March 16, 2012 @ 11:07 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate, ghostly happenings in your machine!!
It was an answer for Anita.
Dundee Drive is on or thereabouts close to the roman road, in the seventies when the site was being cleared a female skeleton was found next to the road in a shallow grave, miss Mawhinney a Stamford archaeologist studied her and after a few days took the remains down to St. Leonard's Priory, at the time they stored finds there.
Miss Mawhinney said it was common practice, if you were a traveller of no consequence and died on the road you were buried where you died!
Just as an add on, the children from around the area were quite excited and visited the remains before it was moved, and one of my sons bought home a tooth from the grave, which we weren't happy with, so it stayed with us over night and then we returned it to its owner.
Kate: Yes, Syd.  Thanks very much for resending this for Anita.

Clem Walden
March 16, 2012 @ 1:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

ROMAN ROAD. Ermine Street.
Dear Anita having looked at your location Dundee Drive, it may well be you are on or very close to the old Roman Road known as Ermine Street. This joined York with London and passed through Stamford. The old river ford used as a crossing point is about a mile or so west of the present crossing and can still be identified. I believe an information plaque within the Meadows marks the spot. Both Water furlong and Roman Bank are in alignment with Ermine Street as it approaches Great Casterton to the North. Most of this old Roman road is now covered by modern roads. And the various developments over the past centuries of green/brown field sites within Stamford and throughout make it very difficult to actually pin-point the precise location in relation to Dundee Drive. I understand a short section of Ermine Street track way is still visible just south of Burghley House. Perhaps Stamford Library or Lincoln Museum may be able to provide you with more detail information particular Lincoln Museum as Lincoln actually stood on Ermine Street. History reports tell us that on the 3rd of December 1290 the West doors of Lincoln Cathedral were opened for the procession re-Queen Eleanor’s epic journey to London. Perhaps your Ghostly experiences may be related as Stamford was on route via Ermine Street? I have many old maps but unfortunately none that show the full route of the old Roman Road [Ermine Street] throughout Stamford Town and surrounding areas.
ROMAN ROAD Ermine Street B

Dan Entwisle
April 4, 2012 @ 2:36 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember reading many years ago on line about the house on Kings Road that was behind my house on Queen Street.  
I don't live in Stamford now, but back in 1980ish it was a big house with a big open unkempt garden on Kings Road just down from Alexandra Road.  I recall some story about ghostly goings on there.  It was a bit of a scary local house for us kids round there. At one point there was an old hearse parked in the garden.
A place that always spooked the hell out of me, and I can't explain why, was the rear entrance to Fane School North Site.  There was a path that led down to the old school past the steam engine and St Augustine's school.
At the North end of the path there was an electrical pylon just where the entrance to Fane was.  That spot gave me the willies.  Really nasty feeling round there.  Many years later as an adult I went back there. They plyon was gone but the place still feld odd.
Might just be me.
I also know where a skeleton was found during building work.  I an sworn to secrecy because a person connected with the house is very superstitious and it would spook them if they found out.  Save to say it was an ancient skeleton - probably a Monk, found on old St Leonard's Priory land in the summer of 1979 somewhere West of Cherry Holt Lane.  That's all I am saying :-)

Gillian Hendy
April 18, 2012 @ 8:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Do you mean the large three storey house, Bancroft Lodge I think it's called, in King's Road?
It was once owned by Mr Skells who was a councillor (I think).  His wife was an artist.   Prior to it being made into three separate apartments the garden ran wild and I used to play in there as a child.  The pathways and large ornamental urns were still there then. 
There was another spooky house, this time in Emlyn's Street at the top almost next to Northfields Garage.   It was called Kilworth House and one day driving past with my daughter she said she saw a face at the window - the house had long been empty....
It was demolished about 10 or so years ago and four soul-less town houses were built on its site.

Sue Francis
April 20, 2012 @ 2:39 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was first married we had a flat in part of Kilworth house and yes, it was indeed haunted. Although we never saw a ghost many things happened that were unexplained. Things were moved, turned off etc and footsteps heard. One of the most unsettling was when my first daughter was born, I got up in the night to watch the landing on the moon and took her crib into the room with me, when I looked around the crib was rocking on its own and the baby fast asleep. We left soon after.

Dan Entwisle
April 21, 2012 @ 9:36 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When did the house on Kings Road fall into disrepair?  

I remember that hous on Emlyns Street, looking back it was spooky.

Gillian Hendy
April 24, 2012 @ 8:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sue, I will tell my daughter that, she will be fascinated to hear that!  How spooky.  It was a spooky looking house and to be called "Kilworth House" as well, enough said.   I wonder if you ever looked into the history of it.

I had a friend that lived in the bungalow opposite but I have no recollection whatsoever of the house when I was a child.

Googling some nights ago I found out that Mrs Skells passed away in 1962 which would tie in with me playing in the garden as a young child and remembering the large urns still being there and the pathways too, before it all became overgrown.

I think it was converted into three flats sometime in the late 60s.  I cannot remember exactly when.   I spent alot of 1972 hanging out of my bed room window (lol) so much time in fact that the guy who lived in the top flat and who drove a removal truck used to pull up next to me when I was walking down Rec Hill and offer me a lift up to the High School.   I can't recall if I accepted or not!

My parents had been in the house when the Skells were alive and said how lovely it had been, and they also told me how Mrs Skells would sit in the garden and paint.   It's such a shame that such a grand looking house ended up as it is now, and the beautiful garden too - gone - with a building plonked in the middle of it.

Tom Mytton
February 5, 2015 @ 1:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford of course is very old but can anyone tell of any hauntings  within it streets or buildings i know of  a few places IE the Stamford theatre  and arts centre also the town hall any others ??????

Kate
September 3, 2015 @ 1:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am afraid will not be adding to this thread as have had one or two who were concerned for owners of properties.  At the moment the current postings will remain displayed.
Thanks for your understanding. K