Zebra Cottages

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Zebra Cottages
Topic Originator: Roger
Post Date December 14, 2008 @ 10:32 PM
 Zebra Cottages
 Zebra Cottages/name origin
 Zebra Cottages/mssge for Sue
  Zebra Cottages/Zebra name

Roger
December 14, 2008 @ 10:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone know how Zebra Cottages, off Torkington Street got its name. I believe the first "blocks" were built in 1880s, but the middle "block" is of different brick and was probably built later as were Torkington and Reform Streets.
Kate: Hi Roger.  Interesting question.  Anyone out there know the answer?

Sue
June 4, 2010 @ 8:49 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi,
The late Doctor Till said that the " Zebra " name was derived from the brick alternate colouring pattern on the front of the houses, 1st floor level.
I used to live in " the middle block ", and the date on the Deeds was 1901

I hope that  this helps with your research!
Kate:  Thanks Sue.  Hope this will help Roger.  I will be posting a photo of a Party held for residents, Zebra, Reform St and Torkington Street - so be sure to have a look.

Roger Partridge
June 5, 2010 @ 7:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Sue. I don't remember you so you probably lived there after we moved from Reform St

alan tutt
June 10, 2010 @ 2:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The idea that the name comes from the brick pattern is completely believable (esp as it comes via local historian Dr Till). However, I thought I would mention that this question was asked in Stamford Living, May 2003. One reader answered that this may have been because the circus/menagerie (Wombwells?) was held nearby, another that it was the result of 'zebra mania' of the time & that horsemen had turned to 'breaking in' zebras as a challenge to their riding skills. Also that Rothschild drove a team of 4 zebras in Hyde Pk in the late 19th century !!
Kate:  Thanks for those suggestions Alan. ("zebra mania" sounds similar to the dutch tulip bulb fiasco - funny old times!