Woolfox Lodge

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Woolfox Lodge
Topic Originator: David Leishman
Post Date December 18, 2008 @ 10:02 PM
 Woolfox Lodge
 RE: Woolfox Lodge
 RE: Woolfox Lodge

David Leishman
December 18, 2008 @ 10:02 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wonder how many of you can remember during the early sixties as you were travelling along the A1 north of Stamford and suddenly being faced with the sight of all those missiles near the road side pointing skyward to the east and looking pretty purposefull.(There were 32 missiles to be exact). I worked there for a couple of years and can still remember the intense activity during the "Cuban Missile Crisis".
I believe that Woolfox has now been returned to agriculture and that little remains of its past.

Roger
December 21, 2008 @ 8:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes remember them well, they were Bristol Bloodhounds, and Ferranti were somehow involved as the father of a friend of mine worked for Ferranti at Woolfox.

Dave Leishman
December 22, 2008 @ 4:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Roger. They were Bloodhound Mk1's I believe. The airframes were Bristol and all the electronic and launch control systems were Ferranti.
For a while after the decommisioning an example of the breed stood at the entrance to RAF North Luffenham.