FANE SCHOOL STAMFORD ENGLAND -REUNION 9 MAY 2009

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: FANE SCHOOL STAMFORD ENGLAND -REUNION 9 MAY 2009
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date December 27, 2008 @ 11:26 AM
 FANE SCHOOL STAMFORD ENGLAND -REUNION 9 MAY 2009
 RE: FANE SCHOOL STAMFORD ENGLAND -REUNION 9 MAY 2009
 RE: FANE SCHOOL STAMFORD ENGLAND -REUNION 9 MAY 2009
 FANE SCHOOL: CLASS OF (19) 36
 JOHN COXLoves Stamfordtown.com
 FANE: John FREEAR REMEMBERS
 FANE: Clem says KBO

Kate
December 27, 2008 @ 11:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Following a query I am posting details of a Reunion which is being arranged at Fane School on 9th May 2009.  Details of this are taken from a recent  Stamford Mercury, which I acknowledge with thanks.
Always check date and venue with the official organisers (details of their names and contact appear below)  before travelling to an event such as this.

The following letter was posted to the Mercury by DAVE BRYAN of Bramble grove, Stamford.
"Did you leave Fane School in Stamford in 1978 or 1979, if so you could be in for a night to remember!
A small committee has been formed to arrange a school reunion for the classes of 78 and 79 leavers and teachers and the date and venue has now been confirmed.
It will take place at Queen Eleanor Technology College (that's the old Fane School north site) on May 9.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for everyone in both years to get back together after 30 years.
We would like to ask all ex pupils from 78 and 79 to contact someone from the committee as soon as they can for more information and to spread the word around to those that have left the Stamford area.
So please ring and show your interest and to pass on contact numbers/email addresses to any of the following:
Dave Bryan (78) dave.bryan@freeuk.com
tracey.kirby@tsi-ltd.co.uk
Kay Cotterill (79)
kay.cotterill@btinternet.com

Richard Campbell
December 29, 2008 @ 11:31 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I left in 1965 so will not know anyone from the 78/79 years.

What about a 1965 re-union?

Richard.

Kate:  Any 1965-ers out there wanting to get together?  You are welcome to post messages here if you want to.

john freear
December 30, 2008 @ 1:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Never mind about a 1965 reunion, how about a 1936 reunion? I wonder how many of us could come?
Kate:  Wonder how many there are?  If you are Class of 1936 post a reply or get someone to do it for you.  John is No. 1 on the list.

Clem Walden
May 10, 2009 @ 6:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-John, 1936 reunion? was Colin Steel, Roy Chapman, Gerry Cottrill, John Tunnicliff, Alan Wyles, Peter Wyels, Frank Hedgley, Dennis Kirk, Trevor Kirk, in your year? (hope I have spelt their names correct)? Perhaps you were leaving when they started? my sister Iris started in  1938, Beryl came a little later so did Dorren Sharpe, I was there with Mick Steel, Tony Story, Pauline Hibbett, Christine Painter, and many others that are still around, perhaps a reunion for those that went to the Fane School between 1936-1944 would be a good idea? I am very  interested to see the response you get for your year? by the way you perhaps threw stones in all the gardens of those I mention?

John Cox
May 11, 2009 @ 4:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
So many familiar names like Peter and Alan Wyles. My mother worked for their father Percy who managed the butcher shop opposite Hardy's Fish & Chip shop at the top of Vine Street. Later on Alan moved in to our old house in Conduit Road since he worked for Nelson's as did my father. I did meet up with Peter in Toronto about 20 years ago at an Enginerring Seminar that we both attended. You also mentioned Christine Painter and I assume that is the same Christine Painter that lived in Vine Street. Her Dad also worked with my father at Nelson's for many years. Small world.
Kate : Great website for expats like me to keep in touch with Stamford.
Keep up the good work.

Hi John.  So nice to hear from you - especially to know  that you are keeping in touch with Stamford through the website. Those names bring back the memories. You could hear them anywhere in the world and they would transport you back to Stamfordtown!  Knowing someone is getting some pleasure from the postings makes my hobby more enjoyable for me.  Thanks very much. Kate

john freear
May 11, 2009 @ 11:09 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem,
Some of the names I remember in my particular year are:-
Cathlene Thrift, Grahamme Sorfleet, Margaret Burton,Roy molsher(?spelling) ??? Lilley June Wooton, Enid Brown, Gerald Hodgekin,Bernard Nichols,Gerald Betts,Marie Clarkson, Richard Hatton. I am sure others  will come to me after I close this email.
Trevor Kirk, Alan Wyles and others you mention were later than me but as they always say you only remember those older than yourself, not so much those younger' Only later does it come to you that those "tiddlers" who were perhaps a year or two behind you and weren't worthy of any note at the time would be sprightly young things of 98 and 99 when you yourself are 100.
Kate:  Hi John.  Thanks for that posting.  Yes, and we look, with some envy,  at those youngsters nipping about  and realise that they are looking at us as we viewed the older generation  - we heard our elders  saying "you'll be older like me one day" but we didn't really believe it.

Clem Walden
May 12, 2009 @ 2:05 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-John, I remember those names that were in your year, still see Graham Sorfleet & Enid Brown at times, you are right what you say & so is Kate whe she say's (our elders would say you'll be older one day like me but we didn't really believe it ) perhaps the important thing in life is to remain young at heart & as Winston Churchil said KBO, do hope you manage to get a reunion sorted, & if you do ask a few of us tiddlers to come along who were at the school in the 1940's we were taught to respect our elders, would have to say however  do not think the school ever taught me that?  but my father & mother certainly did.