Blondin Toon

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Blondin Toon
Topic Originator: John Riley
Post Date January 27, 2009 @ 11:52 AM
 Blondin Toon
 "Toons" fish & chip shop

John Riley
January 27, 2009 @ 11:52 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

This might be stretching people's memory a bit, but around the turn of the 19th/20th century there was a Stamford man who acquired the nickname "Blondin Toon".  According to my father (now in his 80s) "Blondin" (probably with a little liquid encouragement) once walked along the parapet of the town bridge (or something similar) - hence the nickname.  Does anyone else recognize this story, or have anything to add?  There were Toon families living in North Street, East Street and Castle Street at various times during the 19th and early 20th century.
Kate:  John, sorry this did not get onto the Stamford section til now as it was lurking on another part of the Forum.  My apologies for this. Incidentally, your posting had received 56 readings on the area where it had been placed. On a google search for the name BLONDIN TOON, it appears as the No. 1 result out of 29,300 entries for the Search!   As  I am sure that it will still be of interest to everyone who reads Stamford Memories,  despite the time delay I am belatedly posting it on this area too.  Thanks again for posting it to the website.

john freear
January 28, 2009 @ 11:07 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

During the late thirties and perhaps into the early forties the "shop" type premises at the top of Nag's head passage (alias Lowes and cobbolds passage, alias Poacher passasge, wonder what the next one will be?) was a fish and chip shop we knew as "Toons" and they were good, lots of lovely scraps as well.