60s music

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: 60s music
Topic Originator: JohnDale McAllister
Post Date January 30, 2009 @ 4:28 PM
 60s music
 60s music/Danny & the Donners
 60s music/The Taverners/Ricky Fever
 60s music/Fever+Antiseptics
 60s music/Martin Blowers
  60s music
  60s music

JohnDale McAllister
January 30, 2009 @ 4:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I see lots of people remember Cupid's Inspiration. Does any one remember Danny & the Donnors(not sure of the spelling) who were around in the early 60s? At least one of the band members came from Stamford but I don't remember his name. He lived out towards the North end of town.

Phil
June 15, 2011 @ 4:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Danny and the Donners at the dance Saturday Night at R.A.F. Wittering.Loved every minute of it! The groups were fantastic used to dance all night.Then on Sunday afternoon at the Malcolm Club Wittering similar groups to dance to.My father thought I went to a youth club sunday afternoons as dancing was out of the question on our day of rest.Oh how times have changed.I am sure the kids of today would love a live group to dance to.Lovely memories!!

Mike Laughton
June 15, 2011 @ 5:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dunno about Danny and the Donners. I asked Bob Sandall if he could remember them but the name didn't ring a bell with him. Bob is now a Stamford councillor. But he was in a group in the late 50s/early60. They started life as the Grasshoppers and later became the Taverners. Thet lasted from 1959 to 1963 and were photographed in the Youth Quincentenary programme. (pictured)
I know Keith Barwell (Little Binnie) was involved  in a Stamford pop goup in the 60s and Ricky Fever (who made many appearances in Stamford) is still alive and well.
Ricky Fever's alter-ego is Owen Jones who still appears in musicals in Peterborough. He is about 70  now.

The Taverners 1961 Bob Sandall centre
The Taverners Bob Sandall centre
by kind permission of Mike Laughton
Click on photo to go to larger image. Click on Actions and then slideshow to increase photo image.
Any one have photo of Ricky Fever on stage?

Ricky Fever Recording Star

Ricky Fever

Ricky's real name is Owen Jones and he and his wife live in Peterborough. He is a first cousin of Vince Eager who was also a sixties pop star who came originally from Grantham.
Mike
Kate:  Many thanks for that Mike.  Two really good photos of Ricky Fever.
Does this bring back memories for anyone?

syd
June 15, 2011 @ 11:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ricky Fever and the Antiseptics, saw them a few times at the Darby and Joan, we used to hang about together for a while, lovely guy, big big quiff!

David leishman
June 17, 2011 @ 4:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Well what do you know! Another blast from the past. Great picture Mike.
I am quite sure that the fellow on the left is an old school pal of mine (late 50's) Martin Blowers of Wittering. His parents owned the grocery shop on the main road going into the Airforce base. We both attended The Kings' School, Peterborough. We travelled on the same school bus, Patches/Barton to and from Peterborough.
I do remember the "Taverners" being featured at a Darby & Joan dance. Actualy I can see it like it was yesterday. Dances at the D&J were a pretty homely affair compared with those at the Drill Hall or the Lansbury Club. Never the less a good time was always had.
Martin was an extremely nice chap and I owe it to him for getting me started with guitar playing. 1958/59. I knew absolutely nothing about the kind of instrument I should buy. Martin suggested we go and look for a second hand item at a Peterborough music shop. So one Saturday after morning school we went and found a suitable guitar. Cost 5 pounds I remember. On the bus back to Stamford Martin was already giving me chord lessons and to this day I have never been without a guitar. The stuff I have today we only could dream about in the 50's. Gibson/Fender.
I wonder if Martin Blowers is still in the Stamford area?

Roger Partridge
June 11, 2015 @ 2:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sad news about Owen Jones/Ricky Fever - he died a few days ago on June 7.

Syd
June 11, 2015 @ 11:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sad to see that Ricky Fever, real name  Owen Jones died last Sunday 7th June. RIP