winter 1947: snow was forever

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: winter 1947: snow was forever
Topic Originator: joan stafford
Post Date January 31, 2009 @ 9:23 PM
 winter 1947: snow was forever
 Horrendous Car Journey 1947
 1947 - slides like glass
 hot cocoa/buttered bread
 RE: winter 1947: snow was forever
 Queens Coronation
 RE: winter 1947: snow was forever

joan stafford
January 31, 2009 @ 9:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone remember the winter of 1947.  I can remember snow as high has the hedges, and the snow was around for weeks. Did we have time off school? Only need 1" now and everything stops.  Everyone used to throw their cinders on the path to stop slipping Don't suppose pensioners got "Fuel Allowance" in those days.

JohnDale McAllister
February 1, 2009 @ 2:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It wasn't just Stamford that had the heavy snow. My family moved house to Seaham Harbour in Co. Durham(where I lived until '59) in the January of '47 & I remember having to travel miles further to get there due to roads blocked by snow. As I was only 6 at the time it was a great adventure. Thinking back it must have been horrendous for my father in his 1934 Wolseley 9, with no heater, poor lights, two kids & a wife, on strange roads, made stranger by diversions-not much of an adventure for him!
Anyone else remember those HARD TIMES IN 1947?

betty bradshaw
February 1, 2009 @ 10:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I too remember the deep snow of 1947.  We lived a mile from school and no traffic could get through.  We all still went to school and walked on the top of the cemetery wall as that is how deep the snow was.
There was no question of not going to school,  the slides were like glass and sledging was excellent.,

Joan Stafford
February 2, 2009 @ 7:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I lived in Radcliffe Road and my friend (Brenda) and myself built a snow house in Harcourt terrace yard (like an igloo with no roof). In late March the council came and made us chop it down as the coal lorry couldn't get through to the houses.  Then there was the parrafin man, he delivered parrafin to fill the heaters that warmed the kitchen etc. (health and safety) never heard of it!  And we played outside until we were called in for hot cocoa and thick buttered bread before bed.

Mike Laughton
June 6, 2018 @ 6:47 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

BUTTER!!!!!!
In 1947?
More likely it would have been bread and DRIPPING!

joan stafford
June 6, 2018 @ 7:36 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

What were you doing on Coronation Day? I can remember it rained all day. Sometime during the afternoon school children went to the Rec to get a sandwich and cake and a present. I seem to remember mine was a silk handkerchief, some got mugs.  Was it only in the Rec, as my sisters think it was at other locations? My family watched on my Mum's friends 9" TV. not many people had TV, so it was quite an exciting day all round.

Peter Leatherbarrow
June 16, 2018 @ 2:33 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Now't wrong with bread and dripping. My grandmother who lived with her hubby in Ayston Road Uppingham (who was the local dentist)  introduced me to bread and dripping when I was a nipper. It was made up from the dregs from the Sunday Roast tin which she kept in the cold oven from week to week. No refrigerator then. I still enjoy dripping these days from the fats and juices left over from fried bacon. Had to train the missus not to wash the pan after each cooking!