WOOLWORTHS

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: WOOLWORTHS
Topic Originator: Phil Rudkin
Post Date March 1, 2009 @ 10:37 PM
 WOOLWORTHS
 WOOLWORTHS/balloon-on-a-stick

Phil Rudkin
March 1, 2009 @ 10:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A few days ago, I took a few digi photographs of a forlon looking. empty Woolworths, in High Street.  I have spoken to many friends, and have said that it is the nostalgia of Woolworths that is so sad.  When we were children, most days at school dinnertime, we would inhabit Woolworths.  The most significant point was that being local, we all knew the staff so well (all living in Stamford and surrounding villages).   I also found that many people (including myself) did not use Woolworths nearly as much as we did years ago.  Most agreed that Wilkos became the new Woolworths.
So, let us get some memories pouring in about the Woolworth store and staff, from those days when we were alot younger.   I have looked through my Mercury Archive cuttings, and have found the very thing to start the ball rolling.   A cutting from the Stamford Mercury, of Friday April 14th 1995.  The photograph was handed in, and it is of the Woolworths staff of 1946.  The lady who sent it in, did not list the names.   However, a few years ago, I spoke to one of the ladies pictured, who was one of the staff, and she listed all the names (less 3) on the photograph.  I have the list attached to the cutting.  If anyone else has this cutting, I will be pleased to list those on the photo, if they are interested.
Phil Rudkin.
kate: thanks Phil yes Woolworths was our second home.  Please write in to give us your "Woolies" memories.

jill
May 8, 2011 @ 8:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We used to spend our Saturday Sixpences in Woolworths Stamford in the 50's. Always a balloon on a stick and an icecream or something - what a treat. Remember the long wood panelled floor and they were always sweeping up. Mum's friend Joan Storey working there too! Happy Days