Victor Bright's toyshop

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Victor Bright's toyshop
Topic Originator: John Tyers
Post Date August 4, 2009 @ 11:05 PM
 Victor Bright's toyshop
 Victor's toyshop/where did he go?
 Victor Bright/Ironmonger Street

John Tyers
August 4, 2009 @ 11:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Seem to remember Victor Bright's toyshop at the bottom of Ironmonger Street through numerous changes later becoming Westmorelands and latterly Max Spiellman.  My mother bought me a very solid metal green finished model dockyard crane from there for my birthday about 1940!  Like most things it got junked eventually - be probably worth some cash today.  The shop closed rather suddenly and a friend told me that Victor Bright had been called up into the army.  Hope he survived but the shop never reopened after the war; I recall him as an affable man.  Most of his wares were strewn about the floor but a proper shop and a little more upmarket than a bazaar.
Kate:  Anyone else remember Victor Bright's?  You are adding some good different  topics John.  Thanks very much for your postings.

Patrick
August 5, 2009 @ 8:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember Victor Bright and his shop.  He took over the shop in the 1930s when Pinneys the jewellers moved to Red Lion Square.  I thought that, as well as toys, he sold sports equipment.  As you say, he disappeared suddenly in 1939 or 1940 so we small boys immediately decided he was a German spy.  Poor Victor - perhaps he was called up after all!

John Tyers
August 6, 2009 @ 2:56 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I did'nt know Pinney's were there originally before moving to Red Lion Square, thanks for that: you learn something new every day! Ingthorpe Dairy was next door going up Ironmonger Street (ashamed to admit despite my advancing years, I only recently discovered the whereabouts of the mysterious "Ingthorpe!") and then, of course the delightful Miss Smith and her Aladdin's Cave. Therefrom I used to buy my dip pen knibs and bottled ink for St.Martin's School. The old issue powdered ink and scratchy knibs being virtually unuseable.  I wonder what treasures were unearthed when that shop was eventually closed!  I know her shop has been the subject of other threads so will not make further comment.