Blackstones childrens Xmas party

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Blackstones childrens Xmas party
Topic Originator: phil
Post Date August 15, 2009 @ 3:40 PM
 Blackstones childrens Xmas party
 BLACKSTONES/Party & Dances
 BLACKSTONES/Cleo & Johnny + others
 BLACKSTONES & MARTINS
 Blackstones/dances/parties/machines
 Blackstones/lovely engines out front

phil
August 15, 2009 @ 3:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My Father Worked for Blackstones for 30 years.At christmas they would hold a party for the workers children.It was held in a large hall on the left between the two main entry gates.we had to take with us a plate and spoon and fork,all had to have the childs name marked on them(they were precious).We got so excited before because after our food each child would be called up to the stage to recieve their present from father christmas,the presents were good.The hall was always packed with happy children.This was mid 40s early fifties.Its gone now but THANKS BLACKSTONES!!!!for nice childhood memories.
Kate: What a great memory Phil.  A bit of excitment in your life at an early age.  Must have been great days and almost like being part of a large  family.

betty
August 15, 2009 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil,  Yes I remember Blackstones Christmas party it was the highlight of the year.  I felt sorry for the children whose fathers did not work there.

I later went to work there myself and I can remember when they held the Dances in the same big hall.  Happy Days
Kate:  Thanks Betty.  Blackstones dances - must be some more  memories out there.

Joan Stafford
August 17, 2009 @ 7:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, remember Blackstones Christmas parties well,  After tea we all sat on the floor and sang, the one I always remember was Daisy, Daisy, Always very noisy and seemed to be full of large unruly boys, but the gift was always worth having.
Does anyone remember when The Johnny Dankworth Seven with Cleo Lane went to Blackstones Dance also Sid Phillips Band.  Bit before my time, but my husband remembers it well,
From the late 70s early 80s I used to help organize the dances - New Cordettes, Terry Mann, Some very good nights were had by all.
Happy Days

Clem Walden.
August 18, 2009 @ 11:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Blackstones Christmas parties I remember, my Dad at the time worked there then left to work at "Martins" his brother Len (Wenny Walden) as most may remember him also worked at Blackstones, he was the belt man, and would work on those big green engines that stood in front, he was also responsible for keeping the factory machinery running. most of which was belt driven then. Those parties were great, and the dances that followed as I grew older. Blackstones and Martins were the major employers in this Town then and it seemed like everyone had a bike the Ryhall road was full of them, many would be walking to and from work, the works buzzers sounding in the morning and at lunch times to make sure all knew what time of day it was, Williamson Cliffe also had a buzzer Stamford had some great sounds and smells back then.  Great memories.

dorothy
October 8, 2009 @ 4:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Phil,  My dad also worked at Blackstones for 50 years, he also had two brothers and a sister worked in the offices.  The dance floor was sprung and one of the best of its kind in the whole area.  I remember Terry Mann at the dances, wonderful.  The parties were the best in town also.  When i went to meet dad from work there were loads of buses and hundreds of men on cycles, it took all my wits not to miss him.  The works used to have a competion for the cleanest machine and my dad won it quite a few time (extra cash welcomed) there was always rivalry between the brother to win.  My one regret is that i did not photograph the showroom and the beautiful machines before they were taken away.

Phil
October 9, 2009 @ 5:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Dorothy,My father tested engines I believe for submarines during the war,after that he became the mechanic in the Garage and drove the bosses around in their big flash cars and would repair them when need be.One boss  Major Pratt would let dad have his car to take us on holiday in, it was a big Humber Hawk.I think it was the only car on the caravan park.Regarding those lovely engines in the front,dont you think they were seen every day and not thought about until no longer there.What a shame something so fantastic just went like that.