American car in Ironmonger Street.

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: American car in Ironmonger Street.
Topic Originator: Dan Entwisle
Post Date September 22, 2009 @ 3:35 PM
 American car in Ironmonger Street.
 American car/who owns it now?.
 RE: American car in Ironmonger Street.
 American car/met the owner
 American car/Allis Chalmers link
 American car/traded in Forsyth&F?
 American car/where did dealers go?.
 American car/outside Hardinghams
 Studebaker car
 American car/garages
 Am.car/Sycamores
 Am.car/Impala etc

Dan Entwisle
September 22, 2009 @ 3:35 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Was back in Stamford a few weeks ago for a bit of memory laning.

Who remembers a green Caddilac that used to park at the bottom of Ironmonger Street?  This would be around 1980 ish.  It used to park outside Stead and Simpsons? on the corner.

At the time it seemed really posh.  I recall it now as a totally OTT Huggy Bear velour draped 70's barge.

But who owned it?  Love to know more.
Kate:  Anyone out there who can help Dan with his memory of this
fancy machine?

Clem Walden
September 23, 2009 @ 2:52 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Dan, "1980s" green Caddilac? Ironmonger street? outside Steads and Simpsons? a 70s Barge? have know idea who was the owner but hope someone will be able to help? However It may be of interest to note: "Dan" this 70s barge you recall is worth today perhaps 20K to 30K (providing It is still in good serviceable condition? whoever was the owner of this vehicle in 1980? must have had a lot of money or knew one day those who thought it was "a 70s Barge" would wish they owned it? do hope someone can remember this "Cadillac" you recall. also wish it was mine in the 1980s? more to the point? wish it was mine today? hope we can all find out who was the owner? also can we find out if he/she still has this very rare Cadillac today?
Kate/received your other message Clem.  As you say, will file it sorry about all the meetings.  I have noted your "early hours" postings - although I may be awake sometimes then, I have so far resisted looking at the internet.  A "warming cup of cocoa" might be good but I have resisted that as well.

Clem walden
September 24, 2009 @ 1:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks Kate, In the file for perhaps future generations? a warming cup of Cocoa? I think a glass of whiskey would be better for me?

Roger Partridge
September 25, 2009 @ 10:42 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Around that time I remember seeing a Caddy frequently parked on the verge in Brasenose Lane, but I don't think it was a green one. Did briefly meet the owner at a party, but didn't get his name.

John Tyers
September 26, 2009 @ 7:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The American Managing Director of Allis-Chalmers, Essendine lived in the town and owned a beautiful blue Chevrolet which he had shipped over from the States in 1956. It was a familiar sight around the town for about ten years until he replaced it with a grey Vauxhall Cresta.  To us junior employees at the time, it appeared very exotic to our eyes, with Hydramatic drive, air conditioning and LH steering etc but as he told us one day, despite appearances, it was General Motors' cheapest model!

David Leishman
September 27, 2009 @ 9:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes John. Living by Stamford Rd in Ryhall in the late 50's I recal seeing that car quite often. My neighbour worked at Allis Chalmers and he had told me that it belonged to one of the management there. If it was indeed a 56 model year it was probably a Chevy 210. One of the biggest drawbacks to ownig any American car was probably their thirst for petrol, maybe thats why I recal that the car never seemed to be driven fast.
Regards.

John Tyers
September 28, 2009 @ 2:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Believe it or not David but when you lifted the bonnet the engine was rather an anticlimax being for an American car only a small 6 cylinder unit.  Its only redeeming feature being it was overhead valve, the famous Chevrolet "Stove-Bolt" six, at a time when most of their cars were still side valve.  I don't think the Managing Director ever drove much above 40 mph; he was a nice man and would always give a lift to any Essendine employees waiting for the works contract bus to arrive.  I recall it was a very smooth running car with hardly any audible engine noise.  We call them chromium plated gas-guzzlers now but in their day, I think they were terrific!  Don't know where it ended up, I think it was traded in at Forsyth & Ferriers.

Dan Entwisle
September 30, 2009 @ 2:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thinking on, there were one or two interesting cars round Stamford in those days.  A green Matra Rancho with special bodywork - no rear windows - used to park on the waste ground at the bottom of Conduit Road.  Also there at times was some sort of specially converted BMW 7 series.  Dark metallic blue with gold wheels.

Somthing I noted on my return was the demise of the car dealers.  Jessups has been renamed and is partially demolished.  Marshall on St Pauls Street closed when?  When Rover went bust?  Forsyth and Ferrier used to be the vauxhall place.  Tilleys the Talbot garage by the rec is no more.  What about hindmarsh the Peugeot dealer?

AC Williams is now houses on Water Street.  Nice to see Sycamores is still by the Jolly Brewer on Foundlry Road.  Used to be Dastsun back in the day now Vauxhall.

Vic
September 30, 2009 @ 8:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Could have been 1950.  I remember there used to be a large Studebaker champion standing outside of Hardinghams sports shop in Ironmonger Street.  It was a low coupe with a bonnet that went to a point. Having never seen American cars before it really stuck in my mind. I was about 10 years old at the time.  Anyone else recall seeing this car?  It may have been from the North Luffenham Airbase - which was an American airbase at the time.

betty
October 1, 2009 @ 6:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello

The car you are talking about was a stude baker and this car and others in Stamford in the 1950's were from North Luffenham but this was a Canadian base not American.  I know this because the children of the Officers went to the High School and Grammar School with us.

My friend's sister married one of these airmen and he used to tell us the names of these big cars

roger partridge
October 2, 2009 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dan - Jessups was originally ECP Engineers. St Martins Garage - antiques centre, All Saints Garage - offices (Scotgate) housing (All Snts St), Alexanders (Station Rd) - housing, A C Williams, formerly Sawyers (Water St) - housing, St Georges Garage - housing, West St Garage - retail. Many more I could mention.

Roger Partridge
October 2, 2009 @ 8:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dan, forgot to add Sycamores was originally Morris, MG, Wolseley (and Nuffield tractors) and changed to Saab around 1971 for about a year or so before becoming Datsun. Actually watched that building being built in about 1960/1.

Roger Partridge
October 2, 2009 @ 8:29 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Remember the following American cars in Stamford in 1960s

Harold Musgrove's 1961 Chevrolet Impala. Roman Bank - 1955/6 two tone grey Pontiac station wagon and its replacement 1964 metallic gold Pontiac station wagon. Ermine Way - 1954/5 Oldsmobile. Waverley Gardens - 1960 Rambler American - rather unattractive unimpressive compact.

Garry Healey
January 20, 2018 @ 8:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the car belonged to Pete Borowick who at that time lived near Star Lane .

TIM MUSGROVE
February 28, 2018 @ 8:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

my grandfather harold musgrove also had a 1948 buick, then a cresta, then the impala
will e mail some more photos of it. i did send one in a long time ago

tim