Littledyke family

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Littledyke family
Topic Originator: Peter
Post Date November 25, 2009 @ 7:31 PM
 Littledyke family
 LITTLEDYKE/help from Patrick

Peter
November 25, 2009 @ 7:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Having lived in Stamford from 1959 to 1983 I have always regarded myself as only part Stamfordian. However, I have recently discovered that some of my direct ancestors were born in the town and lived in and around for several generations in, it would seem, St Georges and St Johns parishes. As far as I can see they start with James Littledyke (b 20/9/1695) and end with Jane Littledyke (b 18/5/1806). James' son John who was born in Exton seems to have married an Elizabeth Pilkington from Stamford. I would love to know if any branches of this family still exist or if there are any research resources in the town that might be able to help.

Love to hear your thoughts/comments
Kate: Hello Peter. I am sending you a page of Littledykes in Stamford which I found using one of the sites at the bottom of the first page
www.ancestorgateway.com     which is my site.  whether any of these are "yours" you will have to look through.  Its best to start in the present day and work steadily back to earlier times, otherwise you can be working on the wrong family (unless of course you have some evidence that the earlier ancestor is definitely yours).  Hope this page will help and may lead you to some more ancestors.  Also this posting may bring forward some Littledykes.

Patrick
December 12, 2009 @ 9:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I see in Ken Ford`s book `Who Traded Where in Stamford` that, in 1850, a Robert Littledyke was a ropemaker in North Street. In 1875 he moved to 27 Scotgate (now Nimmo`s the hairdresser) and traded there as Robert Littledyke and Son until 1900 when the business was sold to Robert Dennison, another ropemaker. There was also William Littledyke who traded as a furniture dealer at 3 St.Peter`s Street (now Harrison and Dunn`s) from 1875 until the early 1900s and in 1850 Ann Littledyke, a Cow Keeper, lived at 17 St.Paul`s Street ( now Stamford School offices). Any help?