Stamford School Class photo

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford School Class photo
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date March 30, 2010 @ 4:12 PM
 STAMFORD SCHOOL PHOTO
 Stamford School/Drum Major
 Stamford School photo/george tomblin
 RE: Stamford School Class photo
 RE: Stamford School Class photo

Kate
March 30, 2010 @ 4:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I found this photo and know some of the names but not all.
Do you know the names of any of the pupils?
Standing at the back of the Class. Lt Col. Walter Pollard

Stamford School Class photo circa 1955

Stamford School Class cira 1955

Double click on photo to go to larger image. then   Click on "All Sizes" to go to full screen image.  Click on photostream to see all stamfordtown's photos.  Click back button on your computer to return to this page

Roger Partridge
April 10, 2010 @ 6:41 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the person standing at the back is Lt Col Walter Pollard who taught history. He died some years ago.
Kate: Thanks for that Roger.  I will be adding some more Stamford School photos so keep checking to see if you know anyone.

Mike Lynas
June 24, 2010 @ 9:53 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate
  Thought I would admit to being the one on the front right trying to show the world my chevrons as Drum Major in the school CCF Band. (I got that job because I couldn't play an instrument.) Colonel Walter Pollard is the form teacher and he was in charge of the school Combined Cadet Force.  
Names I can remember from front to back second row are Robin Bertram, Brian Lee, Ken Wilson. Next Row Alan Stacey Vic Elmer, David Watson. Next Row Keith Belton ? Brian Sharman Hugo Geer.Regards
Mike
Kate: Thanks Mike.  You all look so well behaved.  Or was that just for the photo?

judy
April 21, 2012 @ 3:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

second from left george tomblin

jill Matthews
April 23, 2012 @ 8:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Back row by the window - Hugh Geer

syd
April 25, 2012 @ 11:19 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Jill, they don't look that huge!!

jill Matthews
April 25, 2012 @ 9:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Sorry, Hugo.....

David Redhead
September 26, 2013 @ 10:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

No but I loved Colonel Pollard who filled in for the junior school teachers when I was a lad in 1969 and spent the whole fortnight describing and illustrating General Wolfe's brilliant conquest of Quebec with coloured chalk diagrams. It was quite magical and I've never forgotten it.

John de B Pollard
February 20, 2014 @ 1:26 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

That was my Dad: he died, getting on for 90, in 1990.

He was not really terribly motivated to teach those to whom academic work came naturally; but for those who struggled, or were not generally seen as heading for scholastic success, he was dynamite.  He would pull every trick in the book to ensure that his "boys" would have the best chance when it came to that all-important exam.

I saw this picture for the first time about 5 years ago and it reminded me of what he was about.  Maybe there were times when things didn't run so smoothly between you (although at home I NEVER heard him make a derogatory comment about any boy), but you should not be in any doubt that he was very fond of you.

All the best

BTW was that Vc?