Stamford S.Cricket 1st XI 1958 photo

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford S.Cricket 1st XI 1958 photo
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date April 29, 2010 @ 4:20 PM
 Cricket 1st XI /mssge for Mike
 1st XI 1958 photo/Mick Lynas
 RE: Stamford S.Cricket 1st XI 1958 photo
 Cricket 1st XI 1958 photo/shoes

Kate
April 29, 2010 @ 4:20 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

STAMFORD SCHOOL CRICKET TEAM 1st XI 1958

Stamford School 1st XI 1958  

Acknowledgement of Gordon Turnill

Rear Left Mike Perkins David Genever,Vic Elmer,  David Wallace, Tewksbury, Bill Oakes,Mick Lynas
Front Gerry Allan, David Matthews, John Mitchel, Bill Packer and Josh White

Double click on the photo.  Then click on the + sign top right.  Then click on " View All Sizes" to get largest image.
 Click back button twice to return to this site.

Roger Partridge
May 2, 2010 @ 10:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

A year or two before my time, but the gentleman with tie and glasses in front row is H E "Bill" Packer.
Thanks Roger.K

Mike Lynas
May 9, 2010 @ 11:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate
I just noticed myself on this photograph (back right). I cannot remember all the names but starting rear left is Mike Perkins  ? ? David Wallace ? ? Mick Lynas. Front Gerry Allan, David Matthews, John Mitchell, Bill Packer, and Josh White.    
Regards

Hi Mike.  Thanks for those names and for recognising yourself!  I will add them under the photo.  If you have any other photos which will be of interest to
others using the Forum please send them in to me. Kate

Kate
May 10, 2010 @ 7:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike
I think if you go to the photo of Town Hall Staff you will also see Pete Lynas on that photo?  Not sure if he was your brother?

Robin Dickinson
August 27, 2011 @ 1:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe the missing names on the school photo are    TOP ROW :  2nd left David Genever; 2nd right Oakes ,Ithink his first name is Bill and 3nd right Tewksbury . , I have no idea what his first name was but I recognise the face as I fought him in an inter house boxing competion and he gave me a " right good going over"

Thanks for those names Robin.  Bet you can still feel those bruises. :Kate

Mike Laughton
August 31, 2011 @ 6:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember one time in the late 1950s when 17-year-old  Mick Lynas skipped a Saturday school match to play cricket for Burghley Park 2nd Eleven and put in a match-winning performance. (This would have been about 1957 and I was the scorer at the time)
But to ensure he didn't get into trouble with the school we sent an anagram of his name into the Mercury. I seem to recall he was listed as M Ansly for that particular match.

Mike Laughton
September 1, 2011 @ 3:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Does anyone know why everyone in the photograph is wearing black shoes instead of white cricket boots?

Mick Lynas
September 2, 2011 @ 7:17 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thanks for reminding me of this Mike, I remember being very worried that Bill Packer might hear about it especially as he knew Dr. Chase quite well, who I believe played in that match. Bill Packer was a wonderfull Cricket Coach and Mentor, have a lot to thank him for! The reason the team had shoes on was that the photo was taken on a day when there wasn't a match.

Mike Laughton
September 3, 2011 @ 8:34 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Stamford School was incredibly strict in those days. Younger boys would get into big trouble for not wearing a cap and prefects would patrol Stamford in the evening checking that no day boys were playing outside when they should have been at home doing their "prep" (homework).
I know that many of us who failed the eleven-plus and went to other schools thought "Thank God!"  We would never have coped with the discipline and lack of freedom.
I remember several of the players in the photo. David Genever and his brother Paul were members of a well-known Uffington farming family. David later became a councillor with SKDC.
Bill Oak was a very good cricketer who played with Burghley Park CC. I believe his family lived in Melbourne Road and his Mum worked in Woolworths.
Bill died at a tragically early age.
Two questions:
1. Is the David Matthews in the photograph the Rutland farmer from Barrow who became a Rugby legend with Leicester Tigers?
2. Mick, Did you become a colonial police officer in southern Africa?

Mike Laughton
September 3, 2011 @ 3:33 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone know what became of Ian "Tiddler" Norton who was about two years older than these lads?
He was another cricketing starlet of Stamford School and Burghley Park CC in the 1950s.
I know he went to Oxford or Cambridge and featured in one or two varsity matches.
He would have made a great cricket coach; even as a teenager he was very good at coaching the younger lads.

Mick Lynas
September 5, 2011 @ 8:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

David Matthews on the photograph, I believe was cousin to the David Matthew that played for the Tigers. Although the Daivid Matthews on the photograph was a farmers son and a very good Rugby Player.  Mr. Matthews farmed Hardwick Farm and the Farmhouse is now the Clubhouse for Rutland County Golf Club. I used to spend lots of time during the summer holidays staying with them. The old hangers were still standing on Woolfox aerodrome nearby and we used to race round them on roller skates being towed by string from cycles. It was a bit dicey.
Gerry Allan went on to play for Northampton. I had the pleasure of meeting him again last year when he came with the Kettering side to Spalding. (We both only spectate these days!)
The last time I met Ian Norton, he was working in Insurance in the City but that was at least ten years ago.

Robin Dickinson
September 6, 2011 @ 10:08 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Mike . David and Paul Genever did indeed farm in Uffington but it was Paul who was a District Councillor on SKDC not David . The David Matthews on the photo is not the "Tigers " legend, though he was a very good rugby player. I once met the Leicester legend David Mathews in a pub in Knossington ,he was a huge man, strong as an ox . I remember he was very friendly and good to talk to even though he was this local rugby legend. I believe he had trials for the England rugby team

Mick Lynas
September 7, 2011 @ 9:43 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

David Matthew on the photo is not the David Matthews that played for Leicester Tigers, I believe he is his couzin. This David Matthews was also a farmers son and they lived at Hardwick Farm, the farmhouse is now Rutland County Golf Clubhouse. I used to often stay with them in my school holidays and had great fun. The old Hangers from Woolfox  aerodrome were still there and we used to have races round the interior on roller skates; being towed by string attached to cycles. It was a bit dicey!
Gerry Alan on the photo played for Northampton at Rugby, I met him at a Spalding v Kettering last year. Didn't recognise him straight away, but thats age for you.
The last I heard of Ian Norton was about fifteen years ago, he was working in Insurance in the city.
It was my brother who went into the then Rhodesian Police force, I stayed in good old Lincolnshire.

Mick Lynas
September 8, 2011 @ 9:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate sorry about the two replies being similar I thought you hadn't received the first. Also it was Gerry ALLEN  who went onto play for Northampton.