Saints Skiffle Group

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Saints Skiffle Group
Topic Originator: Clem Walden
Post Date May 3, 2010 @ 12:25 PM
 Saints Skiffle Group
  Saints Skiffle Group/name of pub
 RE: Saints Skiffle Group
  Saints Skiffle Group
  Saints Skiffle Group/Lilley's pub
 RE: Saints Skiffle Group
  Saints Skiffle Group/msge to Terry

Clem Walden
May 3, 2010 @ 12:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Before "Cupid's" Terry Bull may remember and perhaps others "The Saints Skiffle Group".  The full group are not in the photo, only myself and Bill Bloor the other guy standing next to me is my cousin Brian Hooton - he just wished to be in the photo.
Saints Skiffle Group

by kind permission of Clem Walden

Full original group members were:- Gerald Bradshaw (base) but he left to go in the Navy (Bill Bloor took over Gerald's place as base) Dougie Russon (washboard) Mick Carr (guitar) Clem Walden (guitar and vocalist) and Johnny Lee (guitar).

betty
May 3, 2010 @ 3:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem

Glad to see you back again, Barbara Hill, Joan Riby, Dorothy Graham and myself remember your skiffle group very much, what fun we had coming to watch you play and feeling so excited because we were related to the band.  I am trying to think of the name of the pub you played at down by St George's Church.

Clem Walden
May 4, 2010 @ 1:32 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Betty,
           Joan Riby,(there's a name I forgot) I remember Joan Riby yourself and Gig's Hill with fond affections and all the girls and boy's  who were around at that time. The "Saints" were in at the the begining of Rock & Roll.  I remember Gig's bringing home a new record she had purchased from "Feetam's" (I believe) she could not wait to play it. At the time I was staying the night with john (Ya) the record was "Jailhouse Rock" by the King "Elvis" Gig's played it and I remember Bert was in the kichen shaving with his old Cut-throat razor, (I always thought he would cut his throat soap stuck under his arm stump, open cut-throat razor the good old fashion way of shaving) Mick Carr on the other hand nearly took his top lip off with a safety razor. Next time you see Mick ask him about it? Would have to say every time I stayed round the Hills house (on Friday's or Saturday nights) John's Mum would always leave a flask and refresments out for us all. Great day's. Much the same when I used to visit the Bradshaw's house, banker Russons, the Walden's house was little different (aways open) great day's and fond memories.
The Pub you were thinking about was the "General Gordon" the "Saints" played at various venues. Ketton, Uppingham, the British Legion club, the Sun & Railway was our regular gig, the London Inn as well (your brother Gerald will tell you the story about the London Inn) and also the story about when he was home on leave one time and visited the "Sun & Railway" and listened to a recording we had done of "I don't want your green back dollar" Betty those day's were great, next time you  speak to Gig's and Joan give them my fondest regards.
Kind regards Clem

Clem Walden
May 5, 2010 @ 12:59 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Betty,
           Saw Gerald tonight, told him about this posting, he mentioned  that you may have been thinking about the White Heart pub in St Georges Square area that the Group always used for practice sessions. The Lilley family ran this pub then, feel sure you will remember Pat and Grace Lilley so will Joan,Gigs, and Dot Graham (or should I say Mrs Baker) Mont's wife who still live in the Town as you are aware. Apart from the group practising at the White Heart several of the boys would go to the boxing and weight lifting club Jonny Baker ran frm this venue. Seems a long time ago, but the fun we all had in those days is still firmly fixed in my memory. Unfortunatley at times this plays tricks on me and names become hard to remember.

betty
May 5, 2010 @ 9:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem
Yes I did mean Lilley's pub and I remember Grace and Pat.

Kate I thought you might like to know the Forum is read very much in Canada and Australia,  Barbara (Gigs) and her sister Jean love it and now their daughter Karen who lives in Canada is an ardent fan.

Keep it going, the photographs are great.
Kate:  So glad to hear that Betty and to know that you are enjoying the photos. Thanks for your comments you are such a good Forum poster.

Terry Rice-Milton
May 6, 2010 @ 1:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Clem,
Thanks for the nice words, especially about our dad
I do remember The Saints Skiffle Group, of course, though sadly I don't remember the pleasure of seeing or hearing you perform. I guess I would still be at school and of course we were not allowed out and about town at that time.
However, my abiding memory of you is of you going past our back garden in the 'Gear'.
Incidentally, for the record - 3 chords are 3 more than I know but then I always had some great 'musos' around me anyway, Jim and Geof to name but 2!
I think of our times playing in The London Inn on Thursday nights too!
Great times! When we approached everything with wide-eyed innocence. Nothing changed there then!
All th very best,
Terry (Bull to you of course).

Clem Walden
May 7, 2010 @ 1:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear Terry,
              Would have to say in those early days of "Rock & Roll" all groups only knew 3 cords? Myself and all the members of the "Saints Skiffle Group" and other local groups believed we provided the youth of our time with the music they wished to hear. The "Saints" only had but a few fans, unlike Cupids. But can I say myself and many of Stamfords earlier teenagers who were married before "Cupids" hit the scene were so pleased to see a Stamford group make the grade (so to speak) I have a laugh most weeks with all my old mates (old as  we all are now) when we have our regular Friday nights together for a few beers, by reminding them that if the "Saints" had continued we may well have made the grade? Next time you are in Town and see Gerald Bradshaw (Brady) or Mick Carr (Chainy) ask them why I say this? Anyway Terry I wish you all the best and would love to see "Cupids" get together again for a revival in Stamford. As I have said before I am personally willing to help. You must remember the  "Hedge Hoppers" they were great great group RAF lads from Wittering not local boys.  I and many of my mates knew them personally at the time. But "Cupids" of course were Stamford lads so when you performed on TV with "Yesterday has gone" Cupids were the talk of  Stamford Town. And still are if one looks at "Cupids" on this forum. Most will remember the RAF "Hedge Hoppers" but "Cupids" in this Town still hold the number one slot.
Take care Terry and for the sake of all your fans please try to sort out a revival. Lets hear again some "Good old Rock & Roll" as it was deliverd by local Stamford lads before the rich & famous were ever even heard of.

Kind Regards Clem.