On a float (when and for what?)

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: On a float (when and for what?)
Topic Originator: Tim MUSGROVE
Post Date May 15, 2010 @ 1:32 PM
 On a float (when and for what?)
 On a float/is it Daphne?
 On a float/more names ?52/53
 On float/Teddy Bear holder
  On a float/Queen's Coronation?
 RE: On a float (when and for what?)
 On a float/Bank hol Carnival
 On a float/was it you?
 RE: On a float (when and for what?)

Tim MUSGROVE
May 15, 2010 @ 1:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am attaching a photo of my mother June Musgrove (nee Cox) on a float
(in the centre in a Clown Outfit).
Does anyone have an idea when it was and for what?
JUNE MUSGROVE (nee COX) ON A FLOAT IN clown outfit
Double click on the photo.  Then click on the + sign top right.  Then click on " View All Sizes" to get largest image.

Click on photostream to see all stamfordtown's photos.  Click back button on your computer to return to this page

Kate:  Thanks very much Tim.  I can see the old Picturedrome in the background.
Anyone know what this float was for or when it happened?

betty
May 15, 2010 @ 4:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi  The girl at the back on the left is Daphne Byham or one of her sisters, now she is still around in Stamford so might have an idea about this float.

Clem Walden
May 16, 2010 @ 6:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Tim not 100% sure but would think the year could be 1952/3 I can see your mum June on the photo and also Margaret Fox (nee Whitehead) Barbara Norman (nee Smith) and as Betty has said Daphne Byham I also recognise several faces but are unable to remember there names. I believe the float was the pantomine players at the time as I can be see on the rear end of the lorry the words (the Spirit of Pa? think  this missing word is Pantomine) do hope someone out there can fully remember the event and all the names of those on the float. Next time I see Margaret Fox I will ask her for her help.
Hi Clem.  Yes Spirit of Pantomime.  So are the characters from lots of different Pantomimes?  Can't place them in one particular one.  There appears to be bunches of holly round the float - but they are in fairly thin outfits for winter?
The posh looking car near the shops - is an Armstrong Sidley.  Did it belong to the husband of Mrs parsley who was domestic science teacher  at Fane? Best wishes Kate

betty
May 16, 2010 @ 6:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Just had another look at this photograph and the girl holding the TeddyBear at the front is Gillian Mayes, she lived just off Cliff Road on the left turning before New Cross Roads

Patrick
May 16, 2010 @ 9:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Could it be a Parade celebrating the Queen`s coronation in June1953?

Kate:  Could be, wasn't a very nice day that day, rainy and cold?  But perhaps the parade was earlier in the day?

Roger Partridge
May 17, 2010 @ 5:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The posh car looks more like a Bentley Mk 6/ R Type, or Rolls Royce Silver Dawn (basically same car) rather than an Armstrong Siddeley.

Dianne Primett (nee Matthews)
May 24, 2010 @ 11:47 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Many moons ago there used to be a big carnival in Stamford, with quite a large parade of floats and children in fancy dress.  It used to be quite an occasion and it seemed the whole town would turn out for it.  It was usually held on a bank holiday Monday but can't remember which one!  Those were the days!

Clem Walden
June 23, 2010 @ 11:55 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Info on photo. Back left:-Daphne Byham:-Margaret Whitehead:-Sandra Heyden (clown) Susan Roose:- Doreen Munton:-Next not known.
Back right holding wand not known:- Barbara Smith:- next not known:- June Cox (clown) Judith Burbridge:-Giliian Mayes (holding teddy bear) front girl not known. Two girls in ponies costumes not known. All costumes were made by Judith Burbridges Mother. Float was The Spirit of Pantomine, pantos Cinderella, Aladdin, also Operatic were involved. Could have been Coronation year? Or Spastics Carnival? Or British Legion Carnival? years 1952/3? seems no one is 100% sure. Who can name those 6 girls not known? my research through Margaret Fox (nee Whithead) has resulted in the above info. Thanks Margaret.
Kate:  Thanks for all your research Clem.  Hope we can get the final 6 as more people have a look.

JohnDale McAllister
July 6, 2010 @ 10:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi, the float was before my time in Stamford but I would suggest the car was a Bentley MkVl known as the Standard Steel Sports Saloon which was produced by Rolls Royce from 1946 to 1952 so fits in with the photo date of 1953. The other car in the lower right corner is a Ford 103E Popular produced from 1953 & replaced the Ford 8 E494A