TWILLEYS - Demolition

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: TWILLEYS - Demolition
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date May 17, 2010 @ 1:38 PM
 TWILLEYS - Demolition
  TWILLEYS - Demolition
 RE: TWILLEYS - Demolition
 RE: TWILLEYS/modelling woollens
  TWILLEYS /on e-bay

Kate
May 17, 2010 @ 1:38 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Twilleys is for Demolition.  Lots of memories associated with Twilleys.  Lets get some of them coming in.

Twilleys Stamford

© Photo copyright Stamfordtown.com

Peter
May 18, 2010 @ 3:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember Twilleys as a thriving concern and, if memory serves me it was mostly built by Les Mason who lived next door.
Kate:  Thanks for that Peter.  Does anyone know the date Twilleys relocated to
Little Casterton Road from their premises in West Street?

Roger Partridge
May 19, 2010 @ 5:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It was around 1959 as far as I can remember. I did have a magazine cutting with the date Dolbys moved into the West St factory, but unfortunately I've lost it.

Patrick
May 19, 2010 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ken Ford again!
` West Street Business Park. These buildings, in the 1950s, were where Horace Gladstone Twilley had his offices and factory.They were manufacturers of cottons for knitting, crochet, embroidery and tapestry kits.
When they moved to Little Casterton Road (about 1959?) Dolby Brothers took over the premises.`
As I was typing this paragraph, my wife looked over my shoulder and said `Oh! I remember Tilleys. When I was at the High School they asked me to model some of their Angora woollens`. Anyone got a brochure with the best looking girl in Stamford on it?
Kate: Its a good book Patrick, and I especially like the bit about your wife.

Patrick
May 20, 2010 @ 9:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Coincidence! I came across a site on the internet `Timeline History of Stamford`. It mentioned that H G Twilley of Stamford, textile manufacturers, were founded in Stamford in the 1930s and went into liquidation in September 1993. On e-bay, some man in Oregon, USA, whose mother had a wool shop, is currently selling a Twilleys of Stamford new, unopened parcel of 93 metres of lavender coloured cotton yarn. The price? 25$. Twilleys, in its heyday, must have been famous to have sold their products internationally.