Stamford Museum to Close

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stamford Museum to Close
Topic Originator: alan tutt
Post Date June 19, 2010 @ 2:48 PM
 Stamford Museum to Close
 Stamford Museum
 Stamford Museum
 Stamford Museum
 Museum/sign online petition
 Stamford Museum Vital
 Museum/vested interest in upkeep
 Keep Museum Open
 Stamford Museum/any update?

alan tutt
June 19, 2010 @ 2:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As many of you will know, Lincs CC plan to close Stamford Museum in June 2011 (along with Grantham & Skegness museums). I believe an historic town like Stamford needs a museum to store the objects, records and photos of its history and interpret them through knowledgeable staff; also it is part of the community, giving tours &  info to schools, outreach to care homes & other organisations, loans boxes to schools, winter lectures, family & social research etc. It also welcomes tourists & visitors. There is an online petition at http://www.petition.fm/petitions/lincsmuseums but really greater community, town council & SKCD action is needed.
Kate:The Museum is a very useful source of information both for "locals", visitors to the town who can "call in" and avail themselves of archives + the knowledge of Museum Staff.  The Museum has, I know, been very useful to people who have been researching their ancestors from this area and I have directed people to it when they have requested assistance.
The Museum staff  have  also given many interesting and obviously well researched  lectures about Stamford. Exhibitions, art displays, photographs and other events are held in the Museum to involve the community.
Its easy to go to the address online for the petition and sign to say you are against the proposed closure.

Stamford Museum Broad Street Stamford

John Tyers
June 20, 2010 @ 6:14 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We have all got to think the unthinkable, everyone is possibly going to be hit because the country is broke.  The museum is, I think, comparatively recent, perhaps the exhibits therein could be displayed in the Town Hall, there must be room there and the Broad Street premises disposed of.

Paul Reedman
June 20, 2010 @ 10:19 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Have signed the petition. I think it's a disgrace that there are plans to close the museum. It has helped me massively towards researching my family history. Closing it is like shutting off a part of my family as they have a stack of info on my family. Where will all the documents go? How are tourists and family history researchers going to find out about the history of Stamford now!! I thought museums were major contributors to the local economy. Sorry I have to say it but these bloody governments really annoy me! Sorry if I've been a bit to aggressive in my post but something needs to be done to preserve the history of our beloved towns and cities
Paul

Clem Walden
June 22, 2010 @ 2:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear John, LCC waste considerable monies in many areas as most are aware Stamford Museum must remain and I together with many others will be fighting to keep this open. This was a Town asset at one time and in truth and belongs to Stamford. If this is closed and sold off who gets the cash? not the ratepayers of this Town. We should all be fighting to keep the Museum open the Town has been raped enough since 1974 cuts can be made in other areas Stamfords Museum should remain.

Kate
June 24, 2010 @ 2:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If you want to keep Stamford Museum please sign online petition.  It would be helpful if you mention that its STAMFORD MUSEUM  you  wish to save.

Put the address in your address bar to get to the relevant page.
http://www.petition.fm/petitions/lincsmuseums

Dr Avril Lumley Prior
June 28, 2010 @ 5:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dear John

It is terribly sad that people think that our heritage can just be 'disposed of' by a cost-cutting Council. Stamford Museum is a vital part of the town's cultural past and is a joy to visit.  
Is there really room in the Town Hall for all the Museum's exhibits? Or will these treasures simply be sold off or put into storage out of sight and out of mind?
Instead of closing the Museum it wouild be better if Lincolnshire Council cracked down on waste, turned down the heating, 'disposed of' a few jobsworths and took a pride in their heritage.

John Tyers
June 29, 2010 @ 12:09 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I did not denigrate the worth of the Museum to the town; only the exploration of the idea of it's transference to a new more central location and thereby effecting the economy of disposing of the Broad Street location.  I have a vested interest in the upkeep of the Museum in that the decoration my wife's Grandfather was awarded in WW1 is in there and also material therein relating to the projeny of a family member in Australia who is a descendant of Daniel Lambert himself.
I think overall there are going to be some pretty unpalatable economies affecting all walks of life in the near future for instance I am an ardent borrower from the Public Library but should libraries really be renting out DVDs which have to be paid for by the ratepayers or indeed, the buying of computer stations for public use!

Kate
July 10, 2010 @ 6:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

If you want to keep Stamford Museum please sign online petition.  It would be helpful if you mention that its STAMFORD MUSEUM  you  wish to save.

Put the address in your address bar to get to the relevant page.
http://www.petition.fm/petitions/lincsmuseums

roger
December 5, 2010 @ 8:24 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I wondered if anyone could give me an update on the position regarding Stamford Museum? I live out of the area and have not heard the latest. I do hope a combined effort was made to save it for the sake of Stamford's heritage.