Stone/St George's School

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Stone/St George's School
Topic Originator: Helen Clarke
Post Date July 1, 2010 @ 11:30 AM
 Stone/St George's School
 St George's Stone/Clarke & Belton
 Stone/St George's School
 Stone/St George's School
 Stone/St George's School

Helen Clarke
July 1, 2010 @ 11:30 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am a teaching assistant at st georges school and we have a engraved stone in the lobby. On this stone is engraved 23rd july 1960 and we are trying to find why it was laid. The arch bishop of lincoln presented it but no one has any record does anyone know anything..

Kate: Anyone know the significance of this engraved stone?  Could it be one of the stones from the original St George's School?
Helen - if you take a photo of the stone and email  a copy to me at

kate@stamfordtown.com          I will put it on this thread.

syd
July 3, 2010 @ 12:28 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

St. Georges School was built by Clarke and Belton, a Stamford building firm on or around that date, so I suppose that would be the date of the laying of the stone or the date the school was opened

Clem Walden
July 4, 2010 @ 6:34 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The old St Georges School was associated with St Georges Church like All Saints School (All Saints Church) most schools at one time were associated with Church and parishes throughout Town. Perhaps this stone did come from the original school as mention of the Bishop is made? hopefuly someone can confirm. Syd's posting about the date and Clarke and Belton being the builders is correct so perhaps this stone has no other significance other than recording the date of construction?

Would be nice to know the full facts though.

John Riley
August 10, 2015 @ 1:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was one of the first pupils to be taught at the Kesteven Road site.  We moved there in Spring 1962, I think; so the date on the stone may well have been when the new buildings were begun.  In 1962 there were only the two classrooms (divided by a partition), with a kitchen for school meals, a staff room, and a playground.  I was in the upper of the two classes, and on the first morning I seem to remember we were still waiting for the classroom tables to arrive.  After attending the two classes in Kesteven Road, the children progressed to classes 5 (Mr Thelwall in my day), 6 (Miss Turner), and 7 (Mrs Kennington in 1964-5), which were all back in Wharf Road.  Up to the opening of the new classrooms, boys would leave St George's after three years and (mostly) join the Bluecoat School (then on St Peter's Hill) for the remainder of their primary schooling, while the older girls carried on at Wharf Road.  I remember we used to call them "the big girls" when we were in the infant department.

Jennifer Sharman (nee Ford)
June 16, 2016 @ 6:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I attended the original St George's School in Wharf Road from age 8 (1948) to 1951 (age 11). I am in the process of writing my life story and need help remembering the names of the teachers. Can anyone help please?  I remember Mrs Jeeves (Headmistress) I believe:  and Mrs Grainger and Miss Miles.  There was a Miss Noble who became Mrs Banning (not sure if she was a teacher though).  We used to walk 2-by-2 (crocodile style) at Harvest Festival time to St George's Church for a service and again at Christmas.   I have a photograph of us in the playground holding our fruit and vegetable contributions that we would then be taking to the church.
Hi Jennifer.  Would you like to have the photo posted with your message?
If so, send as an email to my email address    kate@ancestorgateway.com
The photos are very popular(appear also on Flikr) as people like to see if they can recognise anyone. Thanks for posting. Kate