The Church Lads' Club

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: The Church Lads' Club
Topic Originator: Ron Jones
Post Date July 13, 2010 @ 11:36 AM
 The Church Lads' Club
 RE: The Church Lads' Club
 RE: The Church Lads' Club
 Church Lads' Club/Miss Lowe
 ChurchLads/discipline+cakes
 ChurchLads/yes those cakes
 ChurchLads/Freddy Palmer
 Churchlads/Norris brothers
 Churchlads/Charlie,Lewis & Ken

Ron Jones
July 13, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Anyone out there remembers being a member of the club run by Miss
Grace Lowe. I joined in 1943 when the club meetings were held in a room in Broad St, as the club building in St. Paul's St was taken over by the A.R.P. For those who do not know this building, it is now the Stamford School Art Department.  The club was founded by Miis Lowe in 1920  Do you remember the two instructors in those days, Mr Freddie Palmer and Mr Ford who trained the member in PT and gymnastics.
Kate: Thanks Ron.  Who can remember these two instructors?

Clem Walden
July 13, 2010 @ 8:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Ron "Church Lads Club" Polly Lowe 1943 this was a bit before my time I became a member in 1946/7 so did Mick Steel, Stewart Walpole and Peter Freer (deceased) we all joined about the same time.
I remember the climbing rope with the big lead weight in the bottom of it, I also remember the various table games we used to play with unfortunatly I do not remember the instructors, perhaps I was to busy climbing up the rope or playing with the table games. However Miss Lowe was great pity todays youth have not got all those facilities that we had back then. Fond Memories.

Clem Walden
July 13, 2010 @ 8:32 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Ron "Church Lads Club" Polly Lowe 1943 this was a bit before my time I became a member in 1946/7 so did Mick Steel, Stewart Walpole and Peter Freer (deceased) we all joined about the same time.
I remember the climbing rope with the big lead weight in the bottom of it, I also remember the various table games we used to play with unfortunately I do not remember the instructors, perhaps I was to busy climbing up the rope or playing with the table games. However Miss Lowe was great. pity todays youth have not got all those facilities that we had back then. Fond Memories.

syd
July 13, 2010 @ 10:10 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Ron, I was a member in the 50s, when it was back in St Paul's Street,
we had great times there, we often walked with Miss Lowe back to the Hoskins Hotel on Barn Hill where she resided, lovely lady!

joan stafford
July 16, 2010 @ 8:46 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My husband Geoff remembers the Church Lads Club, Miss Lowe kept a lot of the youth of Stamford on the straight and narrow.  She also used to supply cakes at certain times of the year, which the boys enjoyed as they were difficult times and not easily come by.  
Was Miss Lowe part of the Lowe, Son and Cobbold family.

He remembers Freddy Palmer, but thought the chap that took them for Gym. was a Mr. Norton.  Remember him?

Clem Walden
July 17, 2010 @ 5:13 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Joan, good question? hope someone out there can confirm. They were indeed difficult times, remember the the cakes, and all the fun we had going to The Church Lads' Club please give my regards to Geoff

John Tyers
July 17, 2010 @ 9:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Freddy Palmer was a gentleman.  He never worked at Allis-Chalmers (I think he had retired from Blackstones) but along with Brian Curtis, Ernie Holt and myself we were the "star rink" in the Social Club Bowls Team although I was, in fact, pretty useless. When, frequently, I bowled one which went into the gully or knocked out one of our own team's woods, I would hear Freddy mutter in an undertone "Why does he have to come!".  Any subsequent improvement in my game was, no doubt, due to Freddy's advice and encouragement.

Ron Jones
August 9, 2010 @ 8:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have just remembered the instructors for P.T, Gym and Boxing. They were the Norris brothers. I believe they came from Easton or Collyweston, They took over from Freddie Palmer. Also I remember the annual tea parties at the Olde Barn Restaurant paid for by Miss Lowe.  Those were the days.

betty
August 10, 2010 @ 12:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The Norris Brothers lived at Lambeth Walk when I was a child.  They lived next door and they had a punch bag in the porch and we would see them practising for hours.

There was Charlie and Lewis and Ken

Charlie was an ABA Champion.  Charlie is still around Stamford

Just checked all this out with Gerald.
Kate:  Thanks Betty for adding extras to the Forum .