Hardingham Sports

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Hardingham Sports
Topic Originator: George
Post Date July 25, 2010 @ 4:44 PM
 Hardingham Sports
 Hardingham Sports/regular customer?
 Hardinghams/bag of studs
 RE: Hardingham Sports
 Hardinghams/mssge June/photo added
 Hardinghams/Bill Nicholls
 Hardingham Sports/Santa's grotto
 Hardingham Sports/June mssge
 Hardingham Sports/toy heaven
 Hardingham Sports/bicycle shop
 Hardingham Sports/Mr Lilley
 Hardingham Sports/Mulligan & James
 Hardingham Sports/Dinky Toys!
 Hardingham Sports/letter codes
 Hardinghams/most popular shop
 Hardingham Sports/
  Hardingham Sports/granddaughter
 : Hardingham Sports
  Hardingham Sports/J Brackley
  Hardingham Sports
 Hardingham Sports
 Hardinghams/Bill Nicholls
  Hardingham Sports
  Hardingham Sports
  Hardingham Sports
  Hardingham Sports
  Hardingham Sports

George
July 25, 2010 @ 4:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Forgive the intrusion, perhaps this item may be of interest to some of you.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260640807756

Hi George - perhaps not for me personally!  others might find them usefu! Kate
Don't you just love those small telephone numbers!

June Rollings
July 26, 2010 @ 5:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi George. How nice to see a picture of a bag from Hardingham Sports. My husband, John, and I were the proprietors of Hardingham Sports from 1970 until I think it was 1987 - it seems a long while ago now.  I wonder if you were one of our regular customers.

George
July 28, 2010 @ 8:01 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Really? - you can have it if you like. I'll pull the auction. That bag of studs has followed me around the country - even though I got a new pair of boots in about 92... Its amazing what we keep.

Stamford was , and I'm sure still is a lovely place. I haven't been there since '89 though. I expect the town centre has suffered the same cultural erosion as Chippenham?

June Rollings
August 8, 2010 @ 8:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi George.  Sorry I have been away from home and only just seen your posting. If you have still got the bag I would like to have it.   Yes Stamford, like most towns,  has suffered  from what is now called "progress" although it is still a nice town  The only problem is that most of the lovely little shops have gone and Building Societies and Estate Agents have taken their places.

roger
October 19, 2010 @ 8:46 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello June,

You took over Hardingham's from my Autie and grandfather in 1970! I well recall the shop from the late 1950s as a boy and the wonderful toys in the cabinets. I have some old photos of the shop courtesy of my Uncle who lived there with my father from the 1930s. Roger Hardingham
Kate: Hi Roger.  When you get time, perhaps you could email me one or two photos of the shop for inclusion on the site's photo gallery?
email as an attachment to kate@stamfordtown.com
Hardinghams shopfront view 1

Hardinghams view 2

Thanks very much for those photos Roger.  They look great. K

June Rollings
October 19, 2010 @ 8:26 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Roger. Lovely to hear from you.  Yes, as you said, John and  I purchased Hardingham Sports from your Grandparents and Katherine in May 1970.  We had eighteen or nineteen happy years there.  After that we went into the Licensed trade, retiring to Bourne in 1997. We have many happy memories of 12 Ironmonger Street and then the larger shop at number 10.  I remember you working at W.H. Smith and coming up to Hardinghams during your lunch break for model railway accessories.  What an Alladins Cave that shop was.  I wonder if anyone remembers when we had a Santas Grotto in the cellar of number 12 - Mr Bill Nicholls, from Ryhall (former Traffic Warden) doing the honours.  That was a hit with the children. Kind regards from us both.

Peter Bowman
October 22, 2010 @ 4:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I well remember regular visits to Hardinghams around the mid 1950s. My journey to and from school at Miss Greens took me up Ironmonger Street from the High Street. My sister was school friends with the daughter of the family, who I think was Catherine Hardingham. I do remember Santa's grotto in the basement.
Most of all, I remember the display cabinets crowded with toys, and , most especially, model soldiers. Myself and my friend Stephen Gooch, were particular fans of the Herald range of plastic figures made by Britains. My dad bought a cricket bat from there with me for my 9th birthday. It was paradise for young enthusiasts of such things - my journey took me past Dolby's, and there was also Warners at the bottom of Ironmonger Street, next to St Michael's....a great newsagent/toy shop.

roger
October 23, 2010 @ 8:56 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello again June - and John. Nice to know you enjoyed the shop too. I was always a fan of railways, and still am, but the piles of Hornby boxes in the shop and in the hall way were always amazing for me. I also loved the Britains farming toys and still want to buy a combine harvester now if anyone knows of one!? Catherine is fine and living in Kent thesedays, sadly my grandparents are both gone with our grandmother dying in 1995 at the age of 97. I do remember the grotto you did which was a very good idea to encourage business there. Perhaps we ought to have a reunion one day? Roger

Ian Haggerty
October 26, 2010 @ 10:03 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I remember going to the bicycle repair shop to the left of Hardinghams,  they always had in stock what I needed for my bicycle, usually a link for a broken chain or 3 in 1 oil, were they part of Hardinghams? Also I remember the huge selection of toys to be looked forward to at Christmas time ( no argos in those days).

Chris
October 26, 2010 @ 9:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ian, If the bicycle shop you are referring to was on the opposite side of the road to Hardinghams, it was run by a Mr Dickinson, lovely old man. The shop became St Michael's Motor's (Motor cycles) sometime during the 1950's and was run by Don Wright & Tom Story. When they took over the premises, I remember the workshop area having an enormous heap of discarded bicycle parts, several feet in circumference and piled almost to the ceiling. The very kind man who had worked for Mr Dickinson(I don't remember his name) started his own bicycle repair shop down the little lane next to Hawleys toy shop.

June Rollings
October 27, 2010 @ 7:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think the man you refer to as having a bicycle repair shop in the lane at the side of Hawley Toy Shop, was Mr Lilley, a lovely man, from Ryhall. When I was a child, and living in Ryhall, Mr Lilley had his own repair shop in Crown Street, Ryhall, next to his house.  I believe he also repaired wireless sets.

ian haggerty
October 27, 2010 @ 8:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Thats right June, I was getting your shop muddled up with Hawleys Toy Shop, thats what getting older does for you! I do remember getting my first ever metal detector from Mulligan and James in the 70's, I was always in there buying darts and flights and stems, also table tennis bats and balls, it was a good shop.

Roger Partridge
October 27, 2010 @ 8:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

It wasn't the Hornby trains or model soldiers for me it was boxes upon boxes upon boxes of DINKY TOYS. Also Hardingham's unique pricing code on the box ends - instead of 16/3d (or similar), my last remaining boxed Dinky Supertoy has BN/L.

syd
October 28, 2010 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I left school in 1957 and went down to Hardinghams every Saturday morning and bought a Matchbox Models of Yesteryear car each week for about 15 weeks or so.  
They were if I remember right, one shilling each.
I wish I had them now!!
I remember those letter codes, they were usually from the shops name  
as in H AR D I N G H A M B C
        1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 8 9 0.
so my one shilling car would be H/C, I'd forgotten about that until Roger mentioned it

Mike Laughton
July 13, 2011 @ 11:45 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was growing up in the 1950s, Hardingham's was the most popular shop in Stamford among small boys. It was where you bought your fishing rods, your cricket bats and your first jock strap. Mr Hardingham also operated a linseed oiling and binding service for cricket bats. In those days a bat lasted for years, not just a season.
But Hardinghams was also the only place in town where you could buy the item most beloved of all 11-year-old boys - STINK BOMBS!
For the uninitiated stink bombs were tiny glass globes containing a small amount of liquid hydrogen sulphate which smelt like a cross between methane and rotten eggs when released into the atmosphere.
For some reason Woolworths was the most popular target in town for the stink bomb dropper, but if you dropped one in the cinema you got thrown out and banned. But the bravest lads would take them to school and drop one in class.
I wonder, is this the origin of the expression: "Has somebody dropped one?".

J brackley
July 18, 2011 @ 11:54 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was at Stamford High 56-61ish (have school photo somwhere) & Cath Hardingham was a friend went for weekends to home in the Deepings her parents did run the sports shop

Jane
March 24, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have fond memories of Hardinghams as like my brother Roger I am also a Hardingham and loved helping my grandparents in the shop. Measuring out maggots in the cellar was a highlight and also watching my grandfather mend the footballs and whip up fishing flies.
Then with my aunt we would go out and deliver items back to the local schools in the area.
The old wooden till was amazing as a child it was like magic.

J Brackley
July 3, 2013 @ 9:50 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

For some reason I put 59-61 I started at Stamford Girls in 56 was trying to make myself younger!!! as well as Catherine there was Molly Newton in our year ,Angela Griffin from Empingham.
Kate:  Thanks J, any means is legit!

Catherine Doubleday nee hardingham
November 1, 2014 @ 6:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Well bless me I have been relaxing at my friends house in Spain and decided to play about on my I pad and came up with all the messages about my old shop Hardingham sports, how interesting. I am particularly interested who somebody Brackley is who was at school with me and used to come to stay at deeping with my parents and me. I now live near Guildford in surrey near our eldest daughter. Many regards to June and John Rollings.

June Rollings
November 3, 2014 @ 9:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Catherine.  Lovely to hear that you have found this Forum.  Hope you are having a nice holiday in Spain.   We are still living in Bourne and are both ok.  Was in Stamford a few weeks ago and went up Ironmonger Street - the old shop at number 12 is still a café and number 10, which we moved into in the late 1970s is now an Opticians. How Stamford has changed. Hope you, Mike and the girls are well.   We are now great grandparents to three delightful children, aged six, seven and eight. Where have all the years gone?

Catherine
November 6, 2014 @ 2:06 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

How lovely to hear from you June we are now back in the UK missing the sun. Fiona and her daughter came up to Stamford October 2013 stayed at the crown which was good and took my granddaughter to Burghley house as she was doing the Tudors at school I was with them so went to the shop. Fancy great grandchildren yes where have the years gone.? How Is Sheila do give her my best. Best wishes Cath.

Andrew Nicholls
October 29, 2015 @ 3:05 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi - in an idle moment (of which I have many....), I thought to look for any mention of my grandparents, Bill and Bertha Nicholls, in postings re Ryhall and Stamford.  Imagine my delight in being reminded of my grandad's extra curricular activities as Santa at Hardingham's, a fact I'd all but forgotten!
Traffic wardens were, I think, more kindly thought of in the 60s and early 70s but he might have preferred to be remembered as a baker and shopkeeper in Ryhall...perhaps some with long memories remember that and/or my father, John Nicholls, who grew up in Ryhall and went to Stamford School?

Roger Hardingham
December 6, 2015 @ 11:39 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Very interested to read the comments about my grandads shop. I wonder whether you can put a date on your grandfather's Santa experiences? I have asked my uncle Martin, Lois Hardingham's son and he cannot recall this. Love to know more!

June Rollings
December 12, 2015 @ 8:09 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Roger. The Santa Time at Hardinghams was in the 1970s-  probably from about 1973.  We created a Grotto in the cellar and Mr Bill Nicholls   would spend all day down there doing his Father Christmas duties - and very well he did too.  The children really loved him.  I think Santa came each Christmas for about six years.  Hope you are keeping well. Happy Christmas from John and me.

Whilst on this subject of Bill - Grandson Andrew asked if anyone remembered Bill and Bertha keeping the bakery at Ryhall.  Well I do vividly.  My sister Pamela Milne nee Cook worked as a delivery girl for some time.  Bertha would load the bicycle up to the hilt and give instructions to be very careful and say what time she should be back at the shop,!!!   I remember John and his sister Elsie.Hope this is of interest Andrew.

roger Hardingham
December 21, 2015 @ 8:14 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi June,  Thank you for giving that information about Santa. I will tell my Uncle Martin now as he didn't recall it in 'his; day! Best wishes to you and John for the festive period. I'm busy as usual with projects which I enjoy! Do you have any photos of the shop in your earlier days in the 1970s? All the best, Roger

Andrew Nicholls
January 7, 2016 @ 2:15 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi June (if that's not too informal...) - thank you for adding your additional memories of my grandparents, my dad and my aunt.
I was amused to read of your sister's experiences as a delivery girl as I always remember Bertha, my grandma, as being quite strict! This was emphasised by he habit of calling me "boy"....!  Perhaps this came from having to keep an eye on her headstrong sister, Rosa....!
Unfortunately, my dad, John, died some three years ago but Elsie continues to thrive, living in Liverpoool which she has done her whole married life.
Happy new year to you!

Mick Lynas
January 22, 2016 @ 9:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi June,
I worked on Saturdays for Bill Nicholls when I was still at school. The oven he used was very large and built into a brick frontage. The loaves were put in and out of the oven with a long pole with a spade like piece of metal at the end. On Saturday afternoons I used to go to Stamford with him and deliver a round. This was in the area of Rutland Terrace and the roads at the rear near the 'Tin Hut'. Bill was a very kind man and a Gentleman.

Betty Haddon
July 16, 2016 @ 3:43 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I used to love Hardingham's shop,from taking my younger siblings in to look at toys,getting my 2nd hand hockey stick 'refreshed' and also remember word spreading that 'Fireworks are in', we would all peer into the glass case to see if there were any 'bangers'! I think we were able to buy single fireworks at the time and accumulate a few for bonfire night,we would have to wait to see if Dad brought home a box on Nov5th.Mr.Hardingham must have been a patient man,never hurrying us along.

roger Hardingham
August 21, 2016 @ 11:42 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, my grand-dad had a good display of fireworks. my favourite things were the train sets and Matchbox toys though!