School Milk/our backbone

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: School Milk/our backbone
Topic Originator: Kate
Post Date August 14, 2010 @ 2:27 PM
 School Milk/our backbone
 School Milk/our backbone/but no fruit
 School Milk/foiled
 School Milk or Orange Juice?
 School Milk/monitor perks
 Milk Monitors/so long ago

Kate
August 14, 2010 @ 2:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I noticed for the last couple of days the letters section of the Daily Telegraph has had postings about School Milk.  One person mentions that when the milk was frozen solid in the winter, the milk pushed up out of the top of the bottle and looked like a candle "with the foil top perched on it like a hat".  Another person refers to the practice of using the old style cardboard tops by removing the hole in the middle and then winding  wool around it  to make pom-poms - then snipping round the edges, removing the card and ending up with a colourful accessory for hats etc.
Anyone have any other vivid memories of those bottles, milk and other uses etc.?  Must be some memories to share over this. Any photos of those milk crates with those third-of-a-pintas?

John Tyers
August 15, 2010 @ 1:38 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When I was at St.Martin's School during the war we paid a few coppers weekly for our milk which I recall did not taste particularly fresh on occasion and one or two of us used to cajole a mate to drink our third of a pint beakers as well as his own!
Don't think our mothers would have approved had they but known.
In wintertime it was practically frozen in the bottles and hair-raisingly our teacher used to stand the bottles on top of the coke stove to warm them up; it's a wonder the glass did'nt explode.  Slightly off topic but I remember when I was in Class 3, one day we were each presented with a bag of powdered chocolate from Australia if I recall correctly we had got quite excited thinking we were going to get bananas or oranges (no such luck).

Roger Partridge
August 19, 2010 @ 4:04 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Birds pecking through the foil top and drinking the milk.

Richard Campbell
August 20, 2010 @ 11:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I seem to remember that there was a choice....orange juice or milk.

I was at the Fane School Infants, Bluecoat Juniors and back to the Fane after failing my 11 plus.

Can't remember which school offered the choice or whether they all did.

Richard.

Richard Standley
August 22, 2010 @ 5:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Roger as you may well remember being a milk monitor was a very prestigious job with fringe benefits. Extra milk should there be any left over and the use of the skewer to make the holes for the straws.How very hygenic it all was. Still we seem to have survived without all the health and safety nonsense.

Roger Partridge
August 25, 2010 @ 10:12 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Richard, I'd forgotten about milk monitors and I can't remember if I ever was one.