Going up the fields

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Going up the fields
Topic Originator: lynn (Eluned)
Post Date August 24, 2010 @ 11:47 AM
 Going up the fields
 up fields/box cameras
 up the fields/clay engines
 Going up the fields/no phones
 Fields/50s travel hazards
 Going up the fields
  Going up the fields/Ford Consul
 Going up the fields
 Going up the fields
  Going up the fields/Lynn

lynn (Eluned)
August 24, 2010 @ 11:47 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

We lived right next door to farmland and in school holidays my friend Chris and I would get our Mums to pack sandwiches and off we would go for the day, we would get to 'the pond', eat our jam sandwiches,  get bored and be back bothering our mothers by 10a.m. in the morning.  Funnily enough we never got bored with the thought of it, it was in the doing that the boredom set in, and funnily enough the sun always seemed to be shining.
Kate:  Thanks for that Lynn.  Welcome to the forum as I don't remember you posting to the site before.  Yes, I loved jam sandwiches - would go anywhere on a jam sandwich. Jam, and sun - reminds me of my school holidays too.  Sitting there examining all those wonderful wild flowers - I know how they all feel and smell from those  wonderful days in the sun.
Did you see the posting lower down the list Halliday's Field.? (I have now put it in at the top so you can see it)

Chris
September 14, 2010 @ 12:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Lynn, we used to take Trixie & Rover (Trixie was probably the only dog Rover didn't fight) and do you remember the old box cameras we had for Christmas one year, I still have a few pictures taken with mine, sadly none of the ones we took 'up the fields'.
Sometimes we had tomato sandwiches.....wonderful and what a treat it was to  find that wild plum/damson tree, not far from the pond. Anyone know the name of that pond beyond Green Lane?
and does anyone remember Clay engines? Not really sure what use they were, but when ever a rotting tree was found, engines would be manufactured to burn the rotten wood.

lorna doyle
September 29, 2011 @ 5:18 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes Chris I remember taking our little picnics out with us. Sugar sandwiches come to mind. We would go down Green Lane and make a Den. I can't remember The Pond but my sister Brenda can. As for the "clay engines" we played for hours with them. We would dig out the clay and then make the engine and a lid for them. Inside we would put dry pieces of wood(touch wood) from  inside of a tree and set them alight. Then run with them in our hands. We had great fun especially as the boys played this as well.

Chris
October 21, 2011 @ 7:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can you imagine children today being content with a clay engine, I don't suppose they would even be allowed to have one....fire....safety...etc. What forunate children we were to have the freedom to roam (And without a mobile phone) Must have been a bit worrying for the parents, but they were all in the same boat. I think our generation were incredibly lucky, apart from WWII, which i vaguely remember, we had the best of times, especially with motoring, I remember driving into Stamford in the 60's with never a thought about where you would park, there were always parking spaces, High Street, Broad Street, not a warden in sight and no parking charges. It was wonderful.
Kate: Hi Chris - yes, had forgotten how free and easy it was.  No phones - not even landline unless you ran a business or were quite wealthy.  Driving round Stamford used to be great - in our old hand-me-down cars.  O to have those old numberplates now.  I remember JHW600 with some affection even though it did spring a leak in the roof.

John Tyers
October 25, 2011 @ 8:16 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Kate your comment on old hand me down cars reminds me of the time back in 1956 when my fiancee and I came out of the Broadway Odeon.  it was pouring with rain and gallantly I told her to wait on the cinema steps while I fetched the car from the carpark to save her getting wet.  It was a 1935 Austin 7 Ruby saloon and after she had climbed in, she slammed the door so hard it fell off in the street!  At least it provided a good laugh for the onlookers and she rode back to Stamford firmly grasping the door in her lap with one hand and holding on to the dashboard with the other to save herself from falling out. The Austin was superceded by a 1936 Ford 10 which used to leak water up through the rear wheel arches and anyone sitting in the back seats was liable to get a wet derriere!  Oh happy days lol!
Kate: Hi John.  I wonder if you are able to resend your last posting to the website as I seem to have lost it?  I am sorry about this - I tried to add it also to Me and My Car and in the process I have lost the Me & My Car thread.
I think my developer (my son) will be able to retrieve the thread from the back-up - hope so anyway.  Sorry about this and many thanks for your continuing interest in our Stamford website.

Peter
November 20, 2011 @ 3:58 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The 60's were indeed wonderful times for us young motorists woth a plentiful supply of old bangers pre MOT test days. I wonder if John Tyers remembers selling me my first car, an early 50's Ford Consul resplendent in it's two tone colours of green and rust. I suppose he's by now spent the princeley sum of £7/10 shillings that I paid for it! How good it felt to pull into Allis Chalmers car park under my own steam (literally).

Hi Peter
Kate:   I wonder if you are able to resend your last posting to the website as I seem to have lost it?  I am sorry about this - I tried to add it also to Me and My Car and in the process I have lost the Me & My Car thread. First time I have had this error  and think it must have been a crash on the database when I was doing this. (Blame them, anyway!).
I think my developer (my son) will be able to retrieve the thread from the back-up - hope so anyway.  Sorry about this and many thanks for your contributions to the website.

John Tyers
November 23, 2011 @ 6:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Can't exactly recall my last post Kate, only to say Hi to Peter Chapman and acknowledge his comments about the 1955 Ford Consul he bought from me for the princely sum of seven pounds ten shillings which I can assure him, I have now regrettably spent!  That was a good car; we left Eastbourne in Sussex at 3.30 AM after our holiday as I was supposed to start work at Allis-Chalmers, Essendine at 8.30 AM on the same day.  Road traffic was sparse at that time of the morning and I was doing a good 80 mph on and off.  I arrived promptly at work, having dropped the family off in town and I recall the Parts Manager Mr Chadwick commenting wryly "It's a shame you don't move permanently to Eastbourne, you'd be on time every morning!"

Peter
November 30, 2011 @ 1:38 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi to you John, seems a lifetime ago since those days at Essendine, perhaps we should have an Allis Chalmers thread as there were so many characters who worked there over the years. I certainly remember Doug Chadwick as being one of them along with the likes of Tom Gilbert, Stan Parnham and many others. By the way, I have just finished paying off the loan I took out to buy that car!

Kate: What you have above is pretty much what I posted originally, so nothing has been lost on Me and My Car.
Thanks for that Peter.

tony goodchild
February 11, 2013 @ 10:00 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

hello Lynn (Eluned). I was browsing thro. memories when I came across your name.  I was wondering if you are  the pretty young girl who used to live in Worcester Crescent many years ago .  I think you may be because of the Welsh spelling of Eluned. you may remember me ,we went out together for a short time before I joined the Army back in 54.  Its odd I knew you as a English girl with a Welsh name and married a Welsh girl with an English name and still am.  If you are the same Eluned I remember you well

Chris Scott
February 21, 2013 @ 8:52 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You are right Tony, Lynn is the pretty Eluned who lived up Worcester Crescent, Lynn & I  have been 'best friends' for 70 odd years, we are still in touch, Lynn lives in Edinburgh now, having spent many years in South Africa.

Kate: I think she is in one of the school  photos (aged about 8?).