Sally Morlands

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: Sally Morlands
Topic Originator: Dan Entwisle
Post Date September 8, 2010 @ 8:47 AM
 Sally Morlands
  Sally Morelands/Regis brothers
 RE: Sally Morelands
 Sally Morelands/P & A
 Sally Morlands/"on the stones"
 Sally Moreland/? for Clem
  Sally Morelands/Regis family
  Sally Morelands/Tommy Regis
  Sally Morelands/Mary & Sally
 Sally Morland/Mary stayed here
 Sally Moreland/Stan Ogden
 Sally Morelands/Early 80s
  Sally Morelands
 Sally Morelands
 Sally Morelands
 RE: Sally Morlands
 Sally Morlands/no barcodes then
 Sally Morlands
 Sally Morlands
 Sally Morlands/actual "Sally"
 Sally Morlands

Dan Entwisle
September 8, 2010 @ 8:47 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

As a visitor to Stamford dung the 70s and 80s, my aunt used to shop at a place called Sally Morelands. Back then big out of town shops were not the norm. What was the story behind it? It changed names sometime in the 80s. Is it still there?

Gail
September 9, 2010 @ 3:01 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I believe Sally Morelands was originally run by one of the Regis brothers in Green Lane before the larger store opened. I remember both as a child and then teenager.
It was taken over by Rainbow(Co-op) but eventually closed and the site sold off for housing.
Sorry, I don't have much info. Hopefully someone will remember more on the first supermarket in Stamford.

Dan Entwisle
September 15, 2010 @ 11:54 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Cheers for that.

My memory is coming back a bit.  Did it change names to P and A or something?  It was on Little Casterton Road - in or close to a brick yard.

I remember being quite impressed by it as a kid. it appeared to be huge but I guess was probably modestly sized.

I know then name Regis.  Were they the local business family in town . As a youngster I always assumed there was a woman called Sally who ran the shop.  I guess she must have been something to do with the family.

Thanks for the info.

Dan

Roger Partridge
September 19, 2010 @ 5:07 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Dan, you are right about SM becoming P and A and being next to Williamson Cliff brickyard. The Regis family were well known business people in the town.

Joan Stafford
September 19, 2010 @ 5:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think I'm right in saying Sally Morlands opened in Green Lane, then moved as P & A to Little Casterton Road. Sally was the daughter of Mr and Mrs. Regis. Before they had a shop, they sold their goods *on the stones* in Stamford Friday market.  I was told "on the stones" means without a stall, perhaps this was cheaper than hiring a stall. Does anyone know anything about this?

betty
September 19, 2010 @ 6:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think you will find that Sally Moreland was the Regis daughter who went to America to live,.  Can you help here Clem

Chris
September 20, 2010 @ 7:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You are right about Sally Morland being the daughter of Mr & Mrs Regis and  she did go to America. I knew Mr & Mrs Regis, they lived on New Cross Road at the top of Recreation Ground Road, they moved up here from London, in the 1940's (I think) I  worked with Mary, another daughter, in the Drawing Office at Blackstones in the 1950's, Mary & I remained friends until her death earlier this year. I used to go with Mary to Huntingdon on Saturdays sometimes and help on the market stall they had there.  Sally Morlands store was a follow on  from the market stalls and was definitely the first 'supermarket' in Stamford.

Clem Walden
September 21, 2010 @ 12:37 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Betty, The "Empingham road camp site on this forum" has a couple of previous posting from me refering to Tommy Regis and Sally Moorlands supermarket. You are correct Sally lives in the USA (Tom Regis's sister) it was their father who started the businees "John" and he named it after his daughter (Sally Moorlands) John had a big family many of who became involved with the business as it grew. "Sally Moorlands" was the first on the scene (so to speak) long before the likes of "Morrisons and others" A very hard working family many of which still live within the area and have businesses of there own. Tommy recently died and is sadly missed, he was a great guy,
a good golfer, I spent many happy hours with Tom both in the UK and the USA, my USA friends still remember him with affection. The Regis family are good friends of mine and Mr John Regis "Sally's father" was a good friend of my dads.

Clem Walden
September 22, 2010 @ 1:03 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi-Chris, you are correct about the the Regis family living on New Cross road, but when they came in the 40s they lived at Brittens Court in Scotgate, befor they moved to Conduit road after which they moved to New Cross road as you say. Mary and Sally lived with the family in Conduit road together with their brothers. The move from London was the result of the war which created many problems for numerous families who lived in London during the "London Blitz" thousands killed. Coventry and other City's and Towns also suffered heavy losses during the second world war, as most of my generation will remember.

Chris
September 22, 2010 @ 5:40 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I knew they had lived somewhere in Stamford Clem prior to my becoming friendly with Mary, but never knew where, I only ever went to the house on New Cross Road. Mary and I both left Blackstones at about the same time, I went to Arthur Lyons (Newage as it later became) and Mary went to America and stayed with Sally Morland, returning to attend the funeral of her brother Henry, she never returned to the States.

IAN HAGGERTY
November 21, 2010 @ 8:11 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think Im correct in saying that when P and A opened up sometime in the 70's, Bernard Youens came to open the shop, he was better known as Stan Ogden from Coronation Street.

Dan Entwisle
November 23, 2010 @ 9:05 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I have a vague memory of that too. Early 80s I believe

Pete
November 23, 2010 @ 8:54 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

The name P & A may refer to the Regis's son Peter.

Tony Lilley
May 27, 2011 @ 9:24 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I just copied this from my post in 2007 on another thread:

I found this interesting about the Regis family. My dad Reuben Lilley worked for them on their market stalls in places like Kings Lynn, Stamford, and other places. Dad also sold Ice Cream from their Ice Cream van in places like Kettering and Corby and I remember 'helping' him as he drove around the estates in those towns.
During my school holidays I worked at Sally Morelands, and Tom Regis was a keen golfer at Burghley Park club, playing there with dad sometimes. Was there an Italian connection?

Nick
May 30, 2011 @ 4:21 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Chris, I to have memories of Mary, she was a friend of my mum, as I am sure you recall, she & Bob lived in Belmesthorpe, next to the pub. Mary & her mum, also Mary, allways a good laugh. I am sure you know that the family name was Reggio, changing it to Regis during the war.

James Morland
October 7, 2012 @ 2:27 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am James Morland son of Sally Morland very interesting reading. My Mothers family was from London and like Clem said who I know well ! Was evacuated to Stamford during the blitz. Grandfather Regis was Italian and changed his name from Reggio to Regis during the war he worked with his brothers in asphalt and they could not get work with the Italian name. He went on the markets and they stayed in asphalt starting Asphaltic in London all hard workers and brilliant businessmen. I was born in Stamford and married a girl from there her name is Susan Laughton.

Gillian Hendy
October 7, 2012 @ 11:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Ah yes Sally Moreland's......I was not of "shopping age" when it was in Green Lanes but remember going with my mother when I was little.    I can see her now, emptying all the items she bought onto the kitchen table and checking each one against the prices on the till receipt - more difficult then as there was no bar code scanning.

Clem Walden
October 29, 2012 @ 2:30 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi James; Just seen your posting;  Saw Beth a few weeks ago in Stamford she told me she was living in London now. had a drink with her and her partner. I was out with my old mate John [well he is 51  now] it was young Johnies birthday;and we all went to the London Inn. for a couple. Hope you are doing OK kind regards to you and all.

margaret ives
December 19, 2012 @ 2:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I first saw peter and tom regis when they started selling items on the friday market in stamford that was in the very early 1960's they were at the end near the fish shop

Steve
February 6, 2013 @ 5:37 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I am married to "sallys" daughter Carol. "sally - actually "sarah" lives here in the US. She is still as fiesty as ever and a wonder to be around.
We are coming to Stamford next year to visit the family and see Sally's son James son get married.

I am very much looking forward to meeting the family and seeing the history of Stamford. See you soon Uncle John, the frist pint is on me!

Jacky Theodore
February 9, 2016 @ 11:22 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

And you Tony lived next door but one to my family and I have photos you took of me as a small 18 month old toddler for my mum and dad

Jake
May 19, 2017 @ 10:28 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

When SM's was at its height, 1975-78, the family lived in Waverley Gardens at  # 5 .

Rob Dixon
January 8, 2018 @ 2:59 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

James (Jim) and I were at school together in Melton Mowbray in the early 1970's. The family lived just off Scalford Road. I remember his mum as a  larger than life character who had a strong London accent in contrast to Jim's American accent., Certainly fiesty and straight talking lady but always kind to us teenage boys.
The SM store in Melton is now a furniture store on the corner of Sage Cross Street.

James Morland
February 19, 2018 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

My Uncle Peter Regis lived at Waverly Gardens my Grandfather founder of Sally Morland's lived at Crohamhurst New cross road in Stamford

James Morland
February 19, 2018 @ 3:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Rob are you still in Melton ? Send me your e mail would love to catch up !

rob dixon
June 3, 2018 @ 8:11 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Jim click on my name and send me your email ive been trying yours but my messages keep getting blunced