All Saints' School '46/'49 photos

Ancestor Gateway Forum - STAMFORD MEMORIES GATEWAY (Lincolnshire England) used as PRIDE and PREJUDICE FILM SET New Topic  |  Search
Thread Topic: All Saints' School '46/'49 photos
Topic Originator: Chris Scott
Post Date September 23, 2010 @ 7:27 PM
 All Saints'/names to photos
 RE: All Saints' School '46/'49 photos
 RE: All Saints' School '46/'49 photos

Chris Scott
September 23, 2010 @ 7:27 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

All Saints' 1946

All Saints School Stamford 1946 - teacher Miss Brown

1946 Photo
Miss Brown was the teacher.
Back row, from left:
Audrey Mulley, Hilda Wright, Jean Hill,Margaret Maunders, Pauline Pickwell, Valerie Greaves, Eluned Baker, Brenda Standley, Marjorie ?, Mary Halford, Joy ?, Christine Freear.
Middle Row, from left:
Patsy Murphy, Mavis Green, Margaret ?, Pamela Symonds, Gillian Cole, Pat Sandall, Maureen Poge, Phyllis Joyce, Dawn Hare, Ann Woodruff, Doris Hudson, Jill Bennett.
Bottom row, from left,
Peggy Warby, Jillian Buttress, Viviene Bailey, Joan Hudson, Barbara Dunthorne, Mary Trusty, Joan Thompson, Christine Wootten, Barbara Dunkley, Daphne Byham, Pamela White, Marie Walker, ??.

All Saints' 1949
All Saints School Stamford1949

by kind permission of Chris Scott

1949 Photo
Back row, from left:
Ruth Bodenheimer, ??, Yvonne ?, ??, Christine Freear, Eluned Baker, Ann Glitheroe, Jill Bennett, Beryl Parkerwood, Pat Glitheroe.
Next row down, from left:
Evelynn Sharman, ??, ??, Pamela Ellis,BrendaFrisby, Pamela Symonds, Maureen Peasgood, Jean Benns.
??, Jennifer towers, ??, Christine Wootten, Brenda Standley, Doreen Russon, ??, ??, Jane Bingham, Vida Young, Phyllis Joyce.? is the girl left of Phyllis, Merry Hazel? and 4th from the left to Phyllis is that one of the Green twins?
Bottom row, from left:
Margaret Maunders, Barbara Rose, Viviene Bailey, Joan Thompson, June Cook, Gillian Cortterill, Ann Woodward.

To see this photo as large as possible double click on photo then click on
Actions top left of photo and then choose Slideshow.To "hold" a particular photo then click on 2 bars bottom left

Chris
October 21, 2010 @ 8:51 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

1946 Photo
Miss Brown was the teacher.
Back row, from left:
Audrey Mulley, Hilda Wright, Jean ?,Margaret Maunders, Pauline Pickwell, Valerie Greaves, Eluned Baker, Brenda Standley, Marjorie ?, Mary Halford, Joy ?, Christine Freear.
Middle Row, from left:
Patsy Murphy, Mavis Green, Margaret ?, Pamela Symonds, Gillian Cole, Pat Sandall, Maureen Poge, Phyllis Joyce, Dawn Hare, Ann Woodruff, Doris Hudson, Jill Bennett.
Bottom row, from left,
Peggy Warby, Jillian Buttress, Viviene Bailey, Joan Hudson, Barbara Dunthorne, Mary Trusty, Joan Thompson, Christine Wootten, Barbara Dunkley, Daphne Byham, Pamela White, Marie Walker, ??.

1949 Photo
Back row, from left:
Ruth Bodenheimer, ??, Yvonne ?, ??, Christine Freear, Eluned Baker, Ann Glitheroe, Jill Bennett, Beryl Parkerwood, Pat Glitheroe.
Evelynn Sharman, ??, ??, Pamela Ellis, ? Frisby, Pamela Symonds, Maureen Peasgood, Jean Benns.
??, Jennifer towers, ??, Christine Wootten, Brenda Standley, ? Russon, ??, ??, Jane Bingham, Vida Young, Phyllis Joyce.
Bottom row, from left:
Margaret Maunders, Barbara Rose, Viviene Bailey, Joan Thompson, June Cook, Gillian Cortterill, Ann Woodward.

Saw my cousin, Phyllis Joyce, yesterday Kate, and we have managed to fill in most of the names (Hopefully correct) Maybe someone out there could fill in the missing ones. We do/did know all the names, but just cannot bring them to mind.
Kate: Thanks for all those names Chris.  They certainly rang a few bells for me.

betty
October 22, 2010 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hi Kate,  It is Brenda Frisby and Doreen Russon

betty
November 6, 2010 @ 9:09 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Kate  The girl on the 1946 photo 3rd along the top row is Jean Hill, Barbara's sister who put the new photo on this week.  I received an email from Barbara this morning as she lives in Australia and she asked me to confirm it was Jean who lives in Canada and is the mother of Karen another one of the forum fans    Hope you understand all that.
Kate:  Thanks for that Betty - have added to the photo details.

Kate
September 5, 2014 @ 12:44 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

add this

kate
June 9, 2005 @ 1:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You may send recollections of All Saints' School Stamford for publication on the site.

jill
June 19, 2005 @ 3:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to All Saints School for a year or two after transferring from  St. George's School in Wharf Road.  Miss Jones was our teacher in the senior class, she was excellent at teaching us mental arithmetic.  She played the violin and when we had dancing in the playground she played the violin and we danced round the maypole.  The playground was a bit small and the toilets were a bit basic.  It was an "all girls" school.

Miss Sharpe was Headmistress.  She used to conduct assembly every morning.  Sometimes we used to have a special occasion and it was held  in All Saints' Vicarage Garden. Mrs Riley was the middle class teacher.  She was the wife of Mr Riley who kept an outfitter's shop in Maiden Lane.

I passed my "11 plus" at All Saints'.

Chris
March 22, 2006 @ 3:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was also at All Saints and started there when Miss Wharton was the headmistress, prior to Miss Sharpe who arrived during my 2nd year. We had to line in the playground to wash hands in 3 or 4 portable enamel bowls (we all used the same water) before dinner, the school dinners were delivered in big metal containers, we queued up while they were dished out, then we sat at our desks to eat them.
I remember the 'Roll of Honour' board with the names of all pupils who had passed the scholarship (11 plus) on it. I passed the scholarship and went on to Stamford High.
Kate: Thanks for that contribution Chris.  I will also post it on the Stamford Memories Gateway.

margaret
November 25, 2006 @ 8:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think someone ought to write down these old schools, and be kept , my brother and I  used to go to the Priory college on Wharf road , which is now flats and new houses.

Kate: Thanks Margaret.  Anyone else want to contribute to Priory College?  I will make a separate entry to cover for it.

betty bradshaw
November 9, 2008 @ 1:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to All Saints school where I also passed the scholarship.  I can remember Miss Sharpe coming to school on a black sit-up-and-beg bike from Casterton Road.
The teachers when I was there (1948-1952) were Miss Woodbridge, Miss Aldrige, Miss Barker and Miss Jones.
I remember the dinners as we had lovely new plastic plates and dishes.
The teachers were very strict and in those days not very sympathetic. Betty

Dianne Matthews
November 21, 2011 @ 3:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Betty
I also went to All Saints School and I think it must have been about the same time as you as I had the same teachers.
Did you become a teacher?  the name seems to ring a bell.
Dianne

Margaret Chambers (Smith)
September 5, 2014 @ 8:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I was at All Saints until 1963 and remember the "tin hut" and Irish dancing. As well as Miss Sharpe, there was Mrs Purman (not sure of spelling) and Miss Rudkin. This was my favourite school. They were strict but fair

Kate
September 5, 2014 @ 12:48 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

kate
June 9, 2005 @ 1:31 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

You may send recollections of All Saints' School Stamford for publication on the site.

jill
June 19, 2005 @ 3:17 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to All Saints School for a year or two after transferring from  St. George's School in Wharf Road.  Miss Jones was our teacher in the senior class, she was excellent at teaching us mental arithmetic.  She played the violin and when we had dancing in the playground she played the violin and we danced round the maypole.  The playground was a bit small and the toilets were a bit basic.  It was an "all girls" school.

Miss Sharpe was Headmistress.  She used to conduct assembly every morning.  Sometimes we used to have a special occasion and it was held  in All Saints' Vicarage Garden. Mrs Riley was the middle class teacher.  She was the wife of Mr Riley who kept an outfitter's shop in Maiden Lane.

I passed my "11 plus" at All Saints'.

Chris
March 22, 2006 @ 3:08 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I was also at All Saints and started there when Miss Wharton was the headmistress, prior to Miss Sharpe who arrived during my 2nd year. We had to line in the playground to wash hands in 3 or 4 portable enamel bowls (we all used the same water) before dinner, the school dinners were delivered in big metal containers, we queued up while they were dished out, then we sat at our desks to eat them.
I remember the 'Roll of Honour' board with the names of all pupils who had passed the scholarship (11 plus) on it. I passed the scholarship and went on to Stamford High.
Kate: Thanks for that contribution Chris.  I will also post it on the Stamford Memories Gateway.

margaret
November 25, 2006 @ 8:23 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I think someone ought to write down these old schools, and be kept , my brother and I  used to go to the Priory college on Wharf road , which is now flats and new houses.

Kate: Thanks Margaret.  Anyone else want to contribute to Priory College?  I will make a separate entry to cover for it.

betty bradshaw
November 9, 2008 @ 1:53 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

I went to All Saints school where I also passed the scholarship.  I can remember Miss Sharpe coming to school on a black sit-up-and-beg bike from Casterton Road.
The teachers when I was there (1948-1952) were Miss Woodbridge, Miss Aldrige, Miss Barker and Miss Jones.
I remember the dinners as we had lovely new plastic plates and dishes.
The teachers were very strict and in those days not very sympathetic. Betty

Dianne Matthews
November 21, 2011 @ 3:23 PM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Hello Betty
I also went to All Saints School and I think it must have been about the same time as you as I had the same teachers.
Did you become a teacher?  the name seems to ring a bell.
Dianne

Margaret Chambers (Smith)
September 5, 2014 @ 8:18 AM Reply  |  Email  |  Print  |  Top

Yes, I was at All Saints until 1963 and remember the "tin hut" and Irish dancing. As well as Miss Sharpe, there was Mrs Purman (not sure of spelling) and Miss Rudkin. This was my favourite school. They were strict but fair